Linux Mint 13 - Longtoms take (short - I promise ...)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Linux Mint 13 - Longtoms take (short - I promise ...)

Postby longtom on Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:26 am

I am running Linux Mint LTS on my work machine for 2 years and it served me well. I am also not the only person working on it so I need to set it up simple, easy and accessible. I always managed to do that with ease.

So 5 days ago I wiped the "old" LTS and on goes Linux Mint 13 and for above reasons following the conservative route and choosing the MATE version. It is as if I never left .... just smoother. I am thoroughly impressed by the lack of any fuss I had to cope with in order to get this machine exactly were I wanted it. It is purring away, fast, smooth and easy to use and tweak. Well done - a real treat.

So I even considered to take this home and install it on my "old but not yet cold" PIV Celeron 2.0 with 1.3GB RAM and a NVidia 5200 Ultra video card. That didn't work out that well. My screen resolution on the live version was very small and I appear to have trouble with any Debian testing based system to get my video setup running the way it should due to lacking or not functioning 173.xxx drivers. I had a similar problem after the LMDE update and I had to abandon that quest as well.
But - being the optimist I decided to install anyway. Took forever and eventually I decided to cancel that endeavour and stick to PCLinuxOS on that rig, which runs my setup without any complains. So no harm done.

Congrats to Clem and the team for a wonderful version. I love it for its ease to use and it's apparent reliability. I do understand if oldish rigs like mine are not supported anymore. Luckily we life in a Linux world where there is choice and fortunately there are blokes around looking after us old, sentimental (and broke) people with old rigs.

The End.
Regards

longtom
longtom
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 13 - Longtoms take (short - I promise ...)

Postby BubbaBlues on Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:51 pm

Hey longtom, if ya think that one's good, which it is, you should try the KDE version. :D
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
BubbaBlues
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Linux Mint 13 - Longtoms take (short - I promise ...)

Postby longtom on Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:22 pm

BubbaBlues wrote:Hey longtom, if ya think that one's good, which it is, you should try the KDE version. :D

Not really a KDE man .... but always willing to try again. :D
Regards

longtom
longtom
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux Mint