Itel Atom CPU/motheboard and Linux

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Itel Atom CPU/motheboard and Linux

Post by AlbertP »

I got it from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AM ... processors

Apparently not only Brazos 2.0 but also some Llano CPU's use the E2 code. Anyway, Brazos 2.0 has only just appeared in a few laptops, it'll still take some time till you can buy desktop boards with it.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
mastablasta
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mastablasta »

AlbertP wrote:How is this related to Intel Atom? The HP server you mentioned isn't even Intel based. I think a moderator needs to split the topic.

You cannot use those Nvidia 7025 boards with Fusion: they have socket AM3 (which are used by the Sempron/Athlon/Phenom series) while Fusions use socket FM1. You can however use Asrock H61M motherboard and Intel Pentium G620 (or cheaper Celeron G530) CPU: that's also a cheap combination. And you have integrated Intel graphics that way, which works very well with Linux. GeForce 7025 is outdated - modern Intel graphics is more efficient and maybe even a lot faster.

This HP server is also somewhat outdated, modern computers need less power to do the same (or the same amount of power to do more). Its CPU is probably a 45nm or 65nm one, while the Intels I mentioned are from a 32nm production process. The smaller size of the transistors makes it need less power.
It's not intel based but i just mentioned it as alternative to the OP.

Also did some checking... found this: http://www.amd.com/us/Documents/48243_A ... ef_web.pdf
they are also marketing it as chip for media/storage server
http://www.amd.com/us/products/embedded ... amily.aspx

Additionally though you can get Pentium or celeron my quesiton is will they use as little energy as 25-27W (together with motherboard and all)? Also the comparison was with Atom. And the point is if something does what you need it to do why pay more for some function (extra power) you don't need? ok if it's only a little bit more and if the power consumpion is the same then it is worth it. my initial idea was also to get Atom board but liek i said it dont' see it as a much cheaper option (especialyl if oyu put in somre realyl silent PSU). but i am still exploring.

You can order elsewhere but you need to pay VAT + customs if it's outside EU. vat you can get back (somehow) but not the customs tax.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

Pentium or Celeron, or any modern AMD for that matter, only use more power when you need it. They'll downclock to around 500 to 1000 MHz when you don't need the full clockspeed.

There are also energy-efficient "T" versions of those cpu's.
catalin-ch

Post by catalin-ch »

Still researching MB for my project... anybody has experience with this board: ASUS E45M1-M Pro (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_CP ... 45M1M_PRO/)?
Namely performance, graphics, compatibility with Linux. Coincidentally it appears to be the board used in the linux mint box so I'm guessing well integrated but probably worth checking. 5 SATA ports, USB 3.0, HDMI, looks solid for my build. Do you guys know if it has a RAID controller embedded by any chance? And is it 32 or 64 bit architecture, they don't say...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

It's 64-bit (Atom D525 hardware is 64-bit too, btw). About hardware compatibility, I think it works just as good or bad as any other AMD hardware. It should usually work OK with the graphics driver from Additional Drivers installed.
catalin-ch

Post by catalin-ch »

AlbertP wrote:It's 64-bit (Atom D525 hardware is 64-bit too, btw). About hardware compatibility, I think it works just as good or bad as any other AMD hardware. It should usually work OK with the graphics driver from Additional Drivers installed.
Thanks Albert but "as good or bad as any other AMD" doesn't really help...
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

AMD hardware usually works OK, if you have the graphics driver installed from Additional Drivers. if you have graphics problems on AMD hardware you can try a newer driver version from http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/l ... linux.aspx.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”