Mint in Linux Format

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
McLovin

Mint in Linux Format

Post by McLovin »

Linux format magazine doesn't show up here in the states till the month after it hits the UK, so I just got it here the States, and there was an itneresting article, showing the 3 top Ubuntu spinoffs, and at the top of that list.......LinuxMint. :D I have to say, great job Clem and crew for sreating a great distro and getting it to the top.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Mint in Linux Format

Post by belovedmonster »

This months Linux format has Mint 4 on the DVD and is very positive about it. In fact it gives contact details to get in touch with them and tell them what you think of Mint. It says they will include it on the DVD again if enough people ask for it, which sounds a little crazy to me because what's to stop 100s of us emailing them :P But I'm pleased to see Mint is finally getting some loving from the Linux Format DVD.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

belovedmonster wrote:This months Linux format has Mint 4 on the DVD and is very positive about it. In fact it gives contact details to get in touch with them and tell them what you think of Mint. It says they will include it on the DVD again if enough people ask for it, which sounds a little crazy to me because what's to stop 100s of us emailing them :P But I'm pleased to see Mint is finally getting some loving from the Linux Format DVD.
What is the point of Mint users demanding Mint DVD's? I know it is free advertising for Mint, but I find it dishonest and cheating statistics, would be much better to wait and see if they actually provide the DVD again, that way we know that there are more new users wanting Mint and thus much better advertising...
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

MagnusB wrote:What is the point of Mint users demanding Mint DVD's?
After becoming the devil's advocate (I'm quite bored you see), I would argue that if Mint users believe it to be a worthwhile distro, then logically we need to voice our opinion to get the disc out to the largely uninformed public. My reasoning is that anybody who has already heard of Mint has already decided whether he/she wants to give it a shot, and therefore we are aiming to reach those who have never heard of Linux Mint.
MagnusB wrote:I know it is free advertising for Mint, but I find it dishonest and cheating statistics
I could see it as a democratic vote of experienced Linux Format readers/Mint Users who wish to show the public a good distro.
MagnusB wrote: [It] would be much better to wait and see if they actually provide the DVD again, that way we know that there are more new users wanting Mint and thus much better advertising...
Hundreds of Mint user opinions still sounds like better advertising to me than a couple arbitrary editors of a magazine. You could say that Mint users sending in requests is a form of petition to increase Mint's chances of reproduction. (assuming that the fate of additional Mint dvd releases rests purely on the volume of e-mails). If the Developers/Users of Mint do not send requests for it, who will? As an analogy, it could be said to be similar to a fan of a particular band who calls his radio station daily to try and share what music he loves with the public. It is up to him who has additional knowledgeable to inform those "in the dark" so to speak (I really must apologize for having way to much time on my hands).
Cheers.
MagnusB
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MagnusB »

I'm bored right now as well....
You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on.
--Dean Martin
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

MagnusB wrote:What is the point of Mint users demanding Mint DVD's? I know it is free advertising for Mint, but I find it dishonest and cheating statistics, would be much better to wait and see if they actually provide the DVD again, that way we know that there are more new users wanting Mint and thus much better advertising...
These guys aren't stupid. If they suddenly receive 100s of emails saying "OMG Linux Mint is the best thing ever." they are going to know its a bunch of vocal fanboys rather than a wider consensus. But if a number of people write into them with genuine emails that explain why they like Mint then it will most certainly encourage them to feature it again. Imagine all the interesting stories people on this forum could send to them, explaining how they used to distro hop endlessly until they found Mint or that nothing else was suitable for their kids to use until they found Mint. Stuff like that will make a difference if we send it to Linux Format.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”