CNR + Linux Mint

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrSquibbles

CNR + Linux Mint

Post by MrSquibbles »

Does it work?

proxima_centauri

Re: CNR + Linux Mint

Post by proxima_centauri »

Probably, but you have to install the Ubuntu CNR client.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

We're working with Linspire to make this work in Linux Mint 5. It's a bit too early to say but it will work eventually.

Clem
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

clem wrote:We're working with Linspire to make this work in Linux Mint 5. It's a bit too early to say but it will work eventually.

Clem
That sounds good. I look forward to seeing that happen. It makes a lot of sense to have CNR do all the work rather than your team spending valuable time working on the Software Portal to offer generic applications. I think the portal should be dedicated to Mint specific installs and let the other applications be provided by an alternative source such as the Ubuntu/Mint repositories and CNR (eventually). That's just my 2 cents.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

Why?

Linspire has a *horrible* name in the Linux community. Almost the entire .nix community has disowned them. Is an affiliation with the leper of Linux really such a good idea? Nearly no self-respecting, knowledgable Linux user would think even think about using the service, not to mention the problem of double-installs - you install once from CNR, then again when Updater picks up the 1 1/2 year old version, and asks if you'd like to install the *current* version.

I mean no disrespect, sir, but am merely concerned about the future perception of Mint. It *cannot* forebode good things to come
I have to agree with sundayrefugee. I broke into Linux with Linspire. It wasn't a completely awful experience. But I felt like they tried to take advantage of newbies coming over from Windows. They charged money for their anti-virus software. Charging money for anti-virus software in Linux! I'll have nothing to with CNR or Linspire ever again.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Post by belovedmonster »

Your screenshot just reminds me how much the OSX icons blow away everything else. :(
JAK
Level 3
Level 3

Post by JAK »

Thanks for the heads-up on CNR. I figure if Ubuntu is heading in that direction (ie: they trust it), then Mint can benefit as well. What I like about CNR is that it looks easy enough for anybody to use it... especially those just getting into Linux. Synaptic can be a little overwhelming to newbies. The next best thing to CNR would be gnome-app-install. It has pretty icons, popularity stars, and nice little descriptions easy enough for most people to understand. Both CNR and gnome-app-install weeds out all the library files, system files, and alike that could only serve to confuse and overwhelm most newbies who try Synaptic. Most newbies I would say just want to see what applications/games/etc... they can choose from.
The Mint install is also a good resource for installing applications, but I just figure it would be one less thing for the Mint team to worry about. You both may be right, it would be one more possibility of screwing up a Mint install. I have things just the way I want them, I would be quite upset if CNR trashed my system.
Thanks for your input.
Oponium

Post by Oponium »

sundayrefugee wrote:Why?

Linspire has a *horrible* name in the Linux community. Almost the entire .nix community has disowned them. Is an affiliation with the leper of Linux really such a good idea? Nearly no self-respecting, knowledgable Linux user would think even think about using the service, not to mention the problem of double-installs - you install once from CNR, then again when Updater picks up the 1 1/2 year old version, and asks if you'd like to install the *current* version.

I mean no disrespect, sir, but am merely concerned about the future perception of Mint. It *cannot* forebode good things to come :wink:
Are you retarded?
MrSquibbles

Post by MrSquibbles »

Above post was me, sorry (was being absent-minded).
MrSquibbles

Post by MrSquibbles »

sundayrefugee wrote:Good luck with that dead, hated, unused, forgotten, irrelevant, GPLv2-locked "distro", Oponium. :wink:
Typical FOSS freak reply. I can't wait until CNR gets included with Linux Mint, just to piss you off.
Sorry, I'm not here to be in a flame-war
Then maybe you shouldn't be such an ass (pls. reread this: "Is an affiliation with the leper of Linux really such a good idea?").

Make no mistake, Linspire/Freespire has made some mistakes, but every time the name comes up some Edit by Forum Moderator, Keep it Clean has to "have a go" at them (maybe to make themselves feel superior?).

For the record, I just requested for Dr. Jones to change my name to "Oponium", I'm too lazy to ask him to change it (again) to MrSquibbles.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Ok, here are a few answers (it's hard for me to give a clear situation on this as I still haven't seen CNR work fully with Mint so I can't really make any decision yet), but here goes anyway:

1. More choice is always good, so if tomorrow Mint is compatible with CNR, then it's one more option for the user in his/her quest to easily access software.
2. MintInstall is our favorite way to install software. If we make Mint compatible with CNR it's likely you'll see a CNR client in the repositories, but mintInstall will still be our default choice.
3. Clutter is bad, so if Mint supports cnr.com and we realize we need both a CNR client and mintInstall, we'll try to get rid of the CNR client and make mintInstall itself support the CNR protocol.
4. The user experience is very important and it needs to be hassle free. If for any reason CNR doesn't fit in the picture it simply won't be part of the default selection.
5. For Elyssa we're hoping to have a CNR client made by Linspire for Linux Mint available from the "import" section of the repository.

I understand why Linspire and CNR aren't very popular and the vision developed by Linspire/Freespire for their distros is definitely not the one I have for Linux Mint. Now, having said that, having CNR in the repository gives users yet another choice so this can only be a good thing. And whether CNR client, or CNR support within mintInstall makes it to the default installed desktop won't have anything to do with what people think of us making deals with Linspire, it will have to do with how CNR behaves within the desktop, how it brings something to the user without tainting his/her experience of the desktop.

I'll give you more news as they come. So far I'm looking at an agreement with Linspire but I haven't seen the final CNR client work yet... and I haven't received any specs to make mintInstall support this protocol. So it's all in the open. Let's not be close-minded, one way or the other.

Clem
PS: I'm closing the thread. I would appreciate if people didn't abuse their right to post without an account... insulting forum members isn't smart and this is the kind of abuse which is going to make us lock the forums to ensure guests can't post.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”