I'm looking for recommendations for a fanless, small PC to use as a set-top box (UK "FreeView" aka DVB-T) and PVR in the living room. I've always wanted our PVR to be Linux-based, but both times I've tried before I've run into too many hardware and software problems and run out of time for the project. So I'm looking to buy something that is likely to work without too much hassle (e.g., well-supported, known good chipsets, video drivers, sound drivers, etc.). Of course, I also want it to be cheap.
I have a Hauppauge Nova-TD USB tuner stick (for UK "FreeView") which I suspect from this page will probably work (they seem to be well-supported).
- Hardware that works with Mint out of the box or really easily -- video & audio via HDMI, MCE-like remote (I already have that) via IR built into the Hauppauge Nova-TD (ideally, although I have some cheap IR receiver lying around as a fallback)
- Only need SD playback (not HD), but it must not be jerky, even when decoding m4vs, avis, etc.
- Silent (no fans at all)
- No need for it to come with storage, I have an SSD I can put in it and plan/hope for most recording and playback to be over the network (WiFi if possible, wired if necessary); I have an HDD I can put in as fallback.
- Won't actually burn you if you touch it
- Good-looking (note this is at the bottom of the list...but it's on the list)
Would the MintBox do the trick? Or any of the pre-built Mini-ITX units out there?
Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to reply!