Pros and Cons of the LMDE distro

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Postby AnthraxBass on Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:14 am

It's not a question, I only want to share my overall feel about this distro.

Pros:

1. MATE desktop! Overall look is fantastic! The fonts, the icons and the file manager are great. I like very much the minimize/maximize/close buttons of the window and the theme itself. Fonts are perfect: the size and the anti-aliasing effect (very critical to me, while working with large amount of text) have exceeded my expectations (although I have previously used Fedora/Ubuntu/Kubuntu and a bunch of different distro's).

2. Preinstalled codecs and flash player: multimedia out of the box, the flash player did not crash a single time, which cannot be applied to Fedora, for instance.

3. Very cute and stylish login screen.

4. GUI wrapper for screen power management: not all the distro's allow to set power management settings of the monitor. Linux Mint DE does.

Cons:

1. My monitor (Dell U2312HM) was not correctly recognized, which leads to low refresh rate (50Hz). Still not fixed. NVIDIA X server configurator show correct monitor model, though.

2. Sometimes, instead of the chosen screensaver - a black blank screen appears.

3. Hibernate mode does not save opened applications - it closes all of them. Sometimes it even fires a bunch of error messages before shutting down the machine.

4. Keep showing me a message on the startup "User's $HOME/.dmrc file is being ignored. This prevents the default session and the language from being saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permissions. User's $HOME directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users." although I have done all that stuff the system asked for.

5. Firefox takes to much time while switching between the tabs. Haven't seen that in other distro's.

6. Sometimes the screen blinks, for example, when the dialog which asks for permissions appears.

7. The clock/date widget in the right botton corner doesn't have a size settings (too small, and lacks time/date pattern/format settings).

8. When settings MATE bottom panel to transparent-opaque, there is an area, which keeps it's solid color, not transparent.

9. For the first time after reboot the Menu/Start button takes too long to open the menu.

10. Setting environment variable takes no effect after reboot. For instance JAVA_HOME=/opt/java/jdk1.6.0_xx/, export JAVA_HOME.

11. Firefox doesn't have integration with Caja - after download no application is set for "Open containing folder".

12. Adobe plugin has crashed while trying to upload files to mail[DOT]ru service.

13. If you want to reuse your old home directory while fresh install - the system will probably fail, because it's trying to make use of all the hidden ( .* ) files in your $HOME. Before you do that, you should manually remove all those files.

P.S. feel free to share you personal rating of this distribution in this thread.
Last edited by AnthraxBass on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
AnthraxBass
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby animaguy on Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:43 pm

The biggest problem I have with Debian is yhe possibility it may break because of an update. I do not see the point of taking that risk.

I like Linux Mint Ubuntu 13 cause all I do is backup the home directory and reinstall if I want to go back to the default.

I do not know if it the ultimate in efficiency but it has taught me a lot about the inner workings.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Pros and Cons of the LMDE distro

Postby AnthraxBass on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:30 am

I always thought that Debian is way more stable than Ubuntu. Well, I hope that it has nothing to do with Debian, it's just that LMDE distro is still too young and raw.
AnthraxBass
Level 1
Level 1

Postby animaguy on Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:23 am

Don't go to much by my advice. A lot of peopl have said they love Debian.
animaguy
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Pros and Cons of the LMDE distro

Postby AnthraxBass on Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:08 am

animaguy wrote:Don't go to much by my advice. A lot of peopl have said they love Debian.

That's what they say... I personally couldn't even get to the partitioning stage of Debian installer. It just hang forever on the "detect hardware" stage, both ways, graphical and text. (Debian 6, x64 arch)
AnthraxBass
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint