New motherboard....which one???

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nomko

Post by nomko »

I want to buy a new casing and motherboard. But looking at all the variations.... Which motherboard is the best one with socket 775? I have this cpu:
Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q8200 (4M Cache, 2.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB).

I relly don't need an useless onboard graphic controller. Size ATX if not available, mATX will do fine too.

Anyone here who can say one or two words which motherboard is a good one and supported well by Linux?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: New motherboard....which one???

Post by exploder »

MSI boards seem to be very popular among Linux users. This same question was posted on another forum recently and MSI seemed to be be the most popular with the least amout of problems. Gigabyte was the next most popular choice. Stay away from Foxxcomm, I have had nothing but problems with their products. I stay away from cheap boards in general and tend to believe that you get what you pay for. If I were doing a new build I would look at MSI first because I have read so much positive feedback about their products and their compatibility with Linux. This is just my opinion and you might want to see what other people have to say before you make any decisions. Someone might know of a specific motherboard that would suit your needs. Good luck on your build and let us know how things turn out. :D
animaguy

Post by animaguy »

I have a Gigabyte motherboard I love it. It maxes out at 8 gb ram but it has had no problems I can complain about.

But MSI sounds enticing for the next motherboard I get.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

I haven't encountered any problems with MSI's MS-7513 (my home PC, runs Mint 11) and MS-7360 (my work PC, runs LMDE). The CPU is Core 2 Duo E8400 in both cases.
nomko

Post by nomko »

Hmm.... looking at all these posts, and many thanks to you guys for replying, i'll try MSI. What's the top/best model they have with socket 775??
nomko

Post by nomko »

nomko wrote:Hmm.... looking at all these posts, and many thanks to you guys for replying, i'll try MSI. What's the top/best model they have with socket 775??

**BUMP**
xclusive585

Post by xclusive585 »

I like MSI I'll start with that. But I know first hand in the High Performance PC world right now MSI is under alot of fire for burning out too easily when pushed.

Don't let my comment sway your decision, I have a few (old) MSI boards here that are still great and have never had an issue. I'm just passing along a bit of info from recent times.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”