Comparing packages in LMDE and Maya?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dm319

Comparing packages in LMDE and Maya?

Post by dm319 »

I'm thinking of switching over to Linux Mint after discovering that Ubuntu 12-fallback runs very slowly on my archaic laptop (a Thinkpad T40). I'm thinking of either switching to Linux Mint 13 MATE or LMDE MATE. I imagine they're pretty similar, and I've read the FAQ about the differences. However, I wanted to compare the packages between the two distros - particularly for firefox/rhythmbox/libreoffice, but can't seem to find this info either googling or on the linuxmint website. Am I also right in thinking that LMDE will likely upgrade these applications faster than 13?

Many thanks,
Duncan.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
squeezy

Re: Comparing packages in LMDE and Maya?

Post by squeezy »

One thing you might want to consider beyond the app list is that LMDE's version of MATE currently also includes the Cinnamon DE while Mint 13 MATE does not. New spins of the LMDE isos will be released that will include a MATE-only version. Not sure of when though.

LMDE might upgrade apps faster than Mint 13, but not as fast as true Debian would. LMDE currently uses snapshots of the Debian testing repos taken approximately every 4-6 months to create the Upgrade Packs. Mint 13 uses the Ubuntu Precise LTS repos and would be dependent on Ubuntu's upgrade schedule. I don't think Ubuntu upgrades most apps in their LTS releases for supportability reasons.
dm319

Re: Comparing packages in LMDE and Maya?

Post by dm319 »

That's a good point - that might put me off trying LMDE. I think part of the reason my ubuntu fall back is so slow is that it has a load of extraneous garbage loaded..

D

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”