Automatic Bug Reports

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
refugee

Automatic Bug Reports

Post by refugee »

Well after signing up with launchpad and submitting a few bugs that I have noticed. One seems to have been fixed even though no update was ever posted to my bug report, not complaining seeing my problem seems to have been fixed and hunting down all the reports would be extrememly time consuming. Anyway was wondering if there is a way to automatically submit bug reports as there is in debian. I quickly browsed the forums but could not find any mention of the option to do so. While I would expect to still have to submit a title and a brief description I believe it would make it a lot easier for the devs to understand what happened when applications crash.

I may just be blind and missed the option for automatically reporting bugs. :|
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Brucey99

Re: Automatic Bug Reports

Post by Brucey99 »

I'd also like to know the same thing. I like helping test Ubuntu and apport works really well in grabbing all the crash information required.

I haven't been able to find anything similar for Linux Mint. Cinnamon has crashed a few times so I've needed to restart my system. It would be much better if something similar to apport would allow me to submit a detailed crash report for the developers.

If there isn't currently something like this, or if there is no intention to add one, any advise on how to find crash logs after cinnamon crashes? Where are they saved and what info should I be submitting to the devs?
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

refugee, just giving you the heads-up that if you have a problem with a program developed and maintained by a project other than Linux Mint, there is not much use submitting a bug to Linux Mint's Launchpad for that. The development team doesn't have the resources to analyse and fix bugs in Firefox, LibreOffice, or Banshee for example. Please submit bug reports for such programs to their respective projects instead :D An Internet search will usually quickly find you where you can submit a bug report for a program.

Bugs in Cinnamon and Nemo can be reported on GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint. You can also see the list of other Linux Mint developed and maintained programs there.

Usually when you run into some issue and suspect a bug, it is quite helpful to get to the bottom of it with help from others on the forum here. But it is only the developers and maintainers of the program you have the issue with that will fix the source code, so the bug report needs to go to them. In a perfect world Linux Mint would have a team of users forwarding such bugs, and though the community has proposed to do just that a few times, nobody has yet stepped up to actually do it. We're all just volunteers here, also on Launchpad...
Brucey99

Post by Brucey99 »

Thanks for the reply,

I have submitted a few bugs to github, that does seem the best place.

I have started going through the recent bugs on launchpad and trying to organise it/help out a bit, but wow, there's a lot of reports! I guess there are too many reports for the team to have time to review. I'll keep an eye on all new ones made from now on, but I don't have time to go through all 2492 :D

It's all a bit chaotic over there. A vast majority of the bugs, as you said in your post, are not related to Linux Mint itself - either applications, the kernel or Ubuntu. I don't really know how to respond to those reports though :/ I guess they'll just stay open
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Brucey99 wrote:A vast majority of the bugs, as you said in your post, are not related to Linux Mint itself - either applications, the kernel or Ubuntu. I don't really know how to respond to those reports though :/ I guess they'll just stay open
Well, if it is clear it is a bug intended for another project--and that other project is also on Launchpad--you can move the bug there. Bugs open longer than 6 months without activity can probably be closed. Bugs related to other bugs can be marked duplicate. Incomplete bugs should also be marked as such. And bugs that you can confirm, well mark them as confirmed :wink: It's a pile, but any help is welcome!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”