Linux Mint 14 RC

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bimsebasse

Re: Linux Mint 14 RC

Post by bimsebasse »

zerozero wrote:
squeezy wrote:Today's update to mint-themes removes the Mint-Z theme.
and it won't come back :shock: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... cadc9ec802
Good reasoning. I liked Mint-Z slightly more than Mint-X but they're both good themes. I guess the easiest way to keep up with gtk3 theme developments is to base Mint's theme on Adwaita - Adwaita has become a really attractive theme.
xarmyvet02

Mint 14 RC

Post by xarmyvet02 »

:D Impressive! Excellent! Among the best! WOW! Made me come back to Mint after leaving for some time and using fedora. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!! :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

exploder wrote:Gave the RC another try
I wish I could do that. I tried the 64bit Cinnamon but, unlike Mint 13, it won't install to sdb. The install errors out with a dialog box telling me

"Unable to install GRUB in dev/sda
Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.
This is a fatal error."

I raised a bug report on it.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

it won't install to sdb
or??
"Unable to install GRUB in dev/sda
I used Mate, but had no trouble with grub
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

caf4926 wrote:or??
Or what?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

You said it will not install to sdb
but the error was sda??

Which is it
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

caf4926 wrote:You said it will not install to sdb
Correct.
caf4926 wrote:but the error was sda??
Correct.
caf4926 wrote:Which is it
Both.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Right
Got it. Sorry.

Is it the MBR of sdb you selected or /
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

zerozero wrote:
and it won't come back :shock: https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-theme ... cadc9ec802
Oh man, that was my favorite theme! I hope Mint-X inherits some of the features, like the solid color download progress bar and full-sized fonts in the panel (for MATE).
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

zerozero wrote:
Clem wrote:GTK3.x integration requires too much maintenance to support more than one theme
Hmm... I haven't seen the newer versions yet, but as of Maya, gtk-3.0 subdirs in Mint-X and Mint-Z are totally identical. Some time later one of them has just been linked to the other (this commit). So the maintenance must have become easier... or not? :?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

caf4926 wrote:Is it the MBR of sdb you selected or /
Both sda and sdb were clean drives, no partitions.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Went for the themeing record and made a Nadia theme for Cinnamon:

http://browse.deviantart.com/customizat ... /#/d5l1rcq

Now I wait for Guiness to return the calls.
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

Does anybody else have long delays opening the software sources from inside synaptic (mate desktop) ?
It takes about 10+ sec to open here.
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

zerozero wrote:
Unfortunate.....it was my favourite. Oh well, life goes on! I found a 'Mint-Z Improved' theme that works nice too. Think it was on the Deviant Art site.
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

hairybiker wrote:Does anybody else have long delays opening the software sources from inside synaptic (mate desktop) ?
Yep, here too. I think it has to do with integrating the jockey functionality into Software Sources.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

squeezy wrote:
hairybiker wrote:Does anybody else have long delays opening the software sources from inside synaptic (mate desktop) ?
Yep, here too. I think it has to do with integrating the jockey functionality into Software Sources.
Yup. If you recall, opening the old "Additional Drivers" (jockey) in Mint 13/Ubuntu 12.04, it scanned the hardware first before opening the drivers window. That scanning still takes place. They just eliminated the "scanning" box that popped up first. I applaud the new feature but it's not the best GUI integration in my opinion as it leaves the user wondering what's going on. By the way, this feature came from Ubuntu, not Mint. :)
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
hairybiker
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hairybiker »

Wish there was some way of removing this "feature", as I use software sources a lot more often than I used additional drivers.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

I can not believe how quick bugs are getting fixed in the release candidate! I originally thought that Ubuntu 12.04 was slow and sluggish but what Clem has done with this base is amazingly fast. Cinnamon really looks refined in this release. I would go so far as to say this is the nicest looking release I have ever ran. :D My wife even commented on how nice she thought my desktop looked! The default backgrounds and themes are really nice. I love the stars background and the Gnome theme, it works out great for me because it is so easy on the eyes.

The new icons really add a lot for being a small detail. I was reading just the other day about Ubuntu making various package management icons similar and here this is already accomplished in Mint. The VLC icon stands out nicely and it just plain looks good. Nemo looks especially good with the black side panel and white text, having a full featured file manager again is awesome. Having a selection of MDM themes by default is sure nice too. It took no time at all to get my system to look exactly the way I liked with what was provided by default. It just doesn't get any better than this!

Ever since I installed the NVidea 304 drivers on my desktop, it has been problem free. I appreciated Clem posting about the multiarch bug and the solution, also that this would be fixed by default in the final release. This was a good find and it's just one more reason to go with Mint. I can see this release getting some very good reviews already! :D I would never have imagined Cinnamon maturing as quickly as it is and it goes to show that you can have a traditional desktop that has a very modern look and feel. Mint 14 is going to receive a lot of well deserved positive reviews.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

And looks like the final release is not far away - the ISOs are being tested already (look at http://community.linuxmint.com/iso).
aelfinn

Login sound can’t be disabled

Post by aelfinn »

I cannot seem to get the login sound disabled. Unchecking the “Login successful” box on the Accessibility tab of Login Window Preferences has no effect—neither in Mate nor in Cinnamon, actually. Is anyone else seeing this? Is there another way to turn it off?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”