Mint 14 Mate/Cinnamon and KDE

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
podagee

Mint 14 Mate/Cinnamon and KDE

Post by podagee »

Man oh man has these distros been a great gift for linux mint fans.i have a triple boot with Win7(32bit),Mint 14(32bit) with Mate,Cinnamon,Gnome3,Gnome classic,Unity,and Cairo-Dock,and Mint 14 KDE(64bit).and i must say that Mint has really outdone the competition this time.their edition of Nadia is perfect in every way.despite some errors with the servers,it has been far long i have settled with distros i am comfortable with.Cinnamon, by far, the best desktop in my opinion and Kde trailing right behind.both very usable and quick,sleek,and stable.Thank you Mint Team,Clem,Fredg,and the testers.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Catbuntu

Re: Mint 14 Mate/Cinnamon and KDE

Post by Catbuntu »

I agree Linux Mint Nadia is one of the better releases of Linux. Perhaps Maya was better for some people, but I think that converting the Ubuntu 12.10 nightmare into this piece of nice things, is a great, awesome job!
I'm now on the Desktop Environments war. I mainly preffer GTK to Qt. I tried MATE on LMDE, but it's too oldie (but nice and stable). I actually preffer Cinnamon, it's much more stable now. Also the Spanish translation is much better on 1.6 than on 1.4, but it's still not perfect (unlike in MATE, where it's perfectly translated). I'll try the KDE version too, as has been recently released. I also use Xubuntu, but I think that, having Cinnamon/MATE, which are more lightware than GNOME Shell, I don't need XFCE anymore because it's light but problematic too.
Greetings!
podagee

Post by podagee »

mint kde 14 is really nice,you should give it a whirl.i too prefer cinnamon over all the desktops.i also agree that mate is stable,but,i find it a bit plain.to each his own though.if you are having a desktop war with yourself,just install all the D.E's you want on your edition.thats what i do.only i dont install kde with gnome it turns your programs into a mess.
Catbuntu

Post by Catbuntu »

podagee wrote:mint kde 14 is really nice,you should give it a whirl.i too prefer cinnamon over all the desktops.i also agree that mate is stable,but,i find it a bit plain.to each his own though.if you are having a desktop war with yourself,just install all the D.E's you want on your edition.thats what i do.only i dont install kde with gnome it turns your programs into a mess.
Well, as you said with GNOME and KDE, I don't like mixing DEs because of in the end I have three file managers, three calculators... :P
I know you can edit the .desktop files, but that's a teeedious work.
I'll try Mint 14 KDE on a LiveDVD, and if I like it, I think I'll override Xubuntu with it.

Catbuntu
wyz

Post by wyz »

This holiday season has been especially nice with the superb Nadia releases. I was using Linux Mint 14 Mate (1.4.2) 64 bit and was reasonably happy with it except for the fact there are no wallpaper changer applications that work with it that I know off. Nor is there a wallpaper changer built into the distro as in the KDE desktops. When the KDE version of Linux Mint 14 came out a little over a week ago I immediately wiped Mate off my hard drive and installed it. WOW! This is by far the best Linux Mint KDE version to date. Simply wonderful! It's fast, very polished, stable, secure, and comes with a nicely well thought out selection of programs. While I haven't had it on my system all that long I have yet to see anything to complain about whatsoever. No blemishes! The developers seem to have crossed all the Ts and dotted all the Is before letting this one out the door. Kudos to the team for this fine release.
podagee

Post by podagee »

only complaint i have is when multitasking with 4gb of ram on my 64bit,with the 3.5.0-21 kernel installed,my cpu on both cores are at a steady 100%.i dont know why but it also freezes my computer until i reboot.i tried installing the 3.7 kernel and the 3.6 but it aint showing up on my kernel versions at boot.but other than that its perfect.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”