Distrowatch

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Distrowatch

Postby manishk on Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:10 am

Has anyone been noticing our rank on distrowatch?? We beat Ubuntu CE long back and now we are #18 and rising !!!
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Distrowatch

Postby richard on Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:04 pm

I can't really say I can really totally agree with Distrowatch's ratings. . . . I don't know if it is just based on the number of hits the participating disto websites are getting or if it is based on the actual user satisfaction and ease of installation of individual distro's. . .

. . . .But I can honestly say that LinuxMint needs to be rated higher in the standings or ratings. . . . it is to me by far the easiest operational install to date I've seen. . .. especially with . . . .

(i.e. functioning multimedia with (codecs), Nvidia install with 'Envy', Wifi wireless connectivity. . . ., )

Richard
richard
Level 1
Level 1

Postby manishk on Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Ya, distrowatch's rating doesn't actually indicate whether the distro is good. But it does indicate its popularity.
"...Many people can only keep on fighting when they expect to win. I'm not like that, I always expect to lose. I fight anyway, and sometimes I win."

-Stallman
manishk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Uncle Bob on Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:25 pm

What tells me a lot more is the difference in size between the two, then look at these ratings again.

If you look at it this way; Ubuntu is a huge "organisation" with developers and contributors by the bucket-load and loads of staff on their payroll as to where Mint is created by a hand-full (if that many) guys as an after-hours project while having a day job. (I know, Mint is based on Ubuntu, but it does not even look like Ubuntu anymore)

Now look at that rating again and see how high Mint is compared to other "larger" distro's.

In my book that earns a lot of respect and says a lot about how good the public in general thinks our Distro is. 8)
Cogito sumere potum alterum.

Uncle Bob
Level 3
Level 3

Distrowatch

Postby Hiko96786 on Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:34 am

Aloha,
Mint is now 16. Beating out Freespire. It is simple to understand why. Well done Operating System which meets the users needs. That is where it's at. As much as it may sound bizarre, windows does exactly that. Of course it is a trade off. You have to deal with the security and virus issues. But it does, meet the users needs. The truth is that because it is so prolific, everyone uses it to meet their needs. This is where we must show them that Linux, specifically Mint, can meet their needs.
Mahalo,
Edward (The Burning 10 more CDs this weekend Nutcase) LOL
Hiko96786
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint