Cinnamon and Gnome 3.8

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
z1lt0id

Cinnamon and Gnome 3.8

Post by z1lt0id »

I've been noticed around the net the general panic regarding Cinnamon and it's incompatibility with Gnome 3.8. Mostly from the Arch user camp who are dropping it from their repos due to the fact Cinnamon isn't developed in unison with upstream releases. Will the next release of Cinnamon support Gnome 3.8 or will it not due to Ubuntu 13.04 not being a full Gnome 3.8 backend? Will Clem and the Mint developers put Cinnamon to the wayside due to Gnome 3.8's new classic mode?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Cinnamon and Gnome 3.8

Post by ashtonford »

I would like to know about this also
theoldfellow

Post by theoldfellow »

me too. I have quite a few people using Cinnamon, and it's a worry.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

I read on the blog that they are just having growing pains and are expanding and adding more people to their staff. So everythings gonna be fine we all just need to have patience and let them get their work done. They are comitted to making cinnamon and mint a great polished distro. Its Clems comittment to the users and his product that really makes mint and cinnamon shine.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ashtonford wrote:I read on the blog that they are just having growing pains and are expanding and adding more people to their staff. So everythings gonna be fine we all just need to have patience and let them get their work done. They are comitted to making cinnamon and mint a great polished distro. Its Clems comittment to the users and his product that really makes mint and cinnamon shine.
The full story is here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... t-16043648

It's very clear that Cinnamon is here to stay, for Mint users at least. In the short term, with Ubuntu staying on gnome 3.6 for their 13.04 release, Mint doesn't have to worry about Gnome 3.8 until Ubuntu goes that way. Other distros want to go Gnome 3.8 now and as a result they have to drop Cinnamon. But as Clem makes very clear (in a very prolix manner), that's their decision, but Cinnamon is part of Mint's vision.

Of course, it wouldn't affect me if Cinnamon did die... I use Mint KDE.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

I read the blog that you linked earlier and thats what I got out of it also. I really like cinnamon its nice to be able to use it with different distros. Kde just never really was a good fit for me. Although mint kde and opensuse 12.3 kde are very useable and I can say I like them alright but cinnamon is my cup of tea lol.
Rukiri

Post by Rukiri »

If Cinnamon is in Mint's vision than it's more than likely to fork Gnome-3.6.

I actually like Cinnamon it's a very functional desktop, but the control panel, and customization is kind of lacking (it almost gives that windows customization vibe... meaning not much)
I however always used Gnome's control panel over Cinnamons but for themes and such I do use the normal control panel.

I think Cinnamon will work with Gnome 3.8 it's just a matter of time as 3.8 isn't that old, it's still hardmasked in Gentoo and in testing(currently) in Arch Linux but should be in the stable tree next week or so.

I think Cinnamon at least for Gentoo/Arch will stay, but can't say the same for other distros.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ashtonford wrote:Kde just never really was a good fit for me.
I felt the same way, plus I considered KDE as ugly, slow and overly-bloated crapware. However I have bleeding edge, high-end kit and was getting noticeable pauses in HD video streams in Cinnamon whenever I clicked on another window sitting on a different monitor. It simply should not have been happening on this gear. I tried MATE and the problem was a little less intrusive but still there. So I decided to see what happened in KDE... problem solved, no annoying pauses.

Anyway to cut a short story long, I decided to install KDE 4.10 and was astonished at its unbloated snappiness. I decided to try and make it look as much like Cinnamon as I could, and to a large degree, succeeded using bits from different themes. So I stuck with it. Now it's my DE of choice. I think what really did it for me was getting rid of the stupid-looking fuzzy blue shadows that a default KDE puts around windows, very gauche.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Rukiri

Post by Rukiri »

I personally love kde, but GTK apps look UGLY!!! I've tried gtk integration, nothing works>< If I got that working kde would be my DE of choice mainly as ALL my apps are GTK based.
I'm currently running openbox.
z1lt0id

Post by z1lt0id »

Seems some Arch developers have put it upon themselves to resolve Cinnamon with Gnome 3.8. The main developer at Cinnarch said the following:
an Arch Linux guy and some others are helping with the porting to gnome 3.8, but it more certainly going to be dropped from communify due to incompatibility with clutter 1.14.0.
The critical issue is the incompatibility with clutter 1.14.0, which is not solved yet, so we still have to remove cinnamon from the [community] repository, when GNOME 3.8 moves into [extra]. (nemo is compatible so it could stay.) Cinnamon developers know about this problem, but it will probably take some time until they solve the problem. Unfortunately I can't fix the problem myself, and not even know, how can I debug muffin.

Since the announcement, much work is being doing to port cinnamon to gnome 3.8, so in a couple of weeks or so it could be finished acording with Clement.
Then someone confirmed it for me today on the Arch forums.
Now Cinnamon is fully functional with GNOME 3.8. There may some minor bugs, but all major functions are working, so it will probably stay in the [community] repo in the next months.
Good news for people wanting to run Cinnamon on other distros. As much as it Clem's Linux Mint vision, it is still open source and it just a desktop. And if anyone out there can resolve these issues I'm glad for it.
ashtonford
Level 2
Level 2

Post by ashtonford »

Rukiri wrote:If Cinnamon is in Mint's vision than it's more than likely to fork Gnome-3.6.

I actually like Cinnamon it's a very functional desktop, but the control panel, and customization is kind of lacking (it almost gives that windows customization vibe... meaning not much)
I however always used Gnome's control panel over Cinnamons but for themes and such I do use the normal control panel.

I think Cinnamon will work with Gnome 3.8 it's just a matter of time as 3.8 isn't that old, it's still hardmasked in Gentoo and in testing(currently) in Arch Linux but should be in the stable tree next week or so.

I think Cinnamon at least for Gentoo/Arch will stay, but can't say the same for other distros.
You can move the pannel to the top so its not like windows or kde. It my favorite way to have it. To me cinnamon is a kinda replacement for gnome 2 , alot of people dont even know that you can move the panel to the top. Its something that should be made light of and mentioned in reviews etc.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Rukiri wrote:GTK apps look UGLY!!!
Not if you install infinality.

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:no1wantdthisname/ppa
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade
$ sudo apt-get install fontconfig-infinality
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

The patch set for using Cinnamon 1.8 with GNOME 3.8 is kept here: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/pull/1888
jonny_smith3

Post by jonny_smith3 »

Why should you fork Gnome? Can't Cinnamon developers just create an gnome extension - Windows 7/KDE like panel for Gnome 3.8 classic? Would't it be great to have the overall Gnome 3.8 classic functionality and greatness with one and very usable panel? I dare to say that the current Cinnamon panel is quite unusable and buggy compared to Windows 7 and KDE start menus.
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I don't get the discussion here. Why should Cinnamon rush to support each release of Gnome? The whole point of Cinnamon in the first place was to avoid dealing with the breakages between Gnome versions. Just ask anyone who uses Gnome Extensions. If you're happy on 3.6, you're screwed, because your favourite extension just got updated to 3.8. I've recently come back to Mint and Cinnamon from Gnome 3.8. I have to say I quite like Gnome Shell, but 3.8 is their buggiest release yet, and I've used it since 3.0. And I'm none too keen on them taking further steps into the touch route. You can't deny it, it's their plan, and a lot of stuff I quite liked about Gnome and Shell has gone now with 3.8.

And It's the same for Ubuntu. They stay a version behind Gnome in order to deliver (arguably) some stability to their userbase. Raring still only uses 3.6. I see it as no different with Cinnamon. Plus, the Mint team are taking steps now to lessen the dependency on Gnome for the future.

And Jonny Smith, I hate to to say it but I couldn't disagree more.
jonny_smith3

Post by jonny_smith3 »

Condorman you are right for the issues of Gnome, but it also applies to all new technologies. Here the users of Linux Mint could test the new versions of Gnome with testing Linux Mint versions. My point is that Cinnamon developers could improve the Gnome instead of forking it.
If all our efforts are directed to one technology it would became serious competition to Windows and Mac OS X. Otherwise the Linux products will continue to be unusable and with many bugs.
For example Cinnamon panel looks like the Windows XP's start menu, which is a technology of more than 10 years. Should we wait for more than 10 years Cinnamon panel to become as functional as the current start menu of Windows 7?
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

But Gnome doesn't want Cinnamon or Mint users to test Gnome. :? :? Cinnamon exists because Gnome chose a single direction, which included a brand recognition much like Ubuntu's Unity desktop, that excluded users from tailoring things to their requirements. Gnome doesn't want Cinnamon devs to improve Gnome. Crikey, they famously don't want Ubuntu devs to have any input!

You seem to be suggesting that if Cinnamon's developers ceased tomorrow, they would become Gnome developers by default overnight. Well, it doesn't work like that and you should know that. Gnome has become, for good or ill, somewhat insular in its vision. Ditto Ubuntu/Unity. FWIW I like Gnome 3 a great deal, but I wouldn't want it to exist at the detriment of Cinnamon or KDE or any of the other desktops. Cinnamon exists because both developer and user want a different experience. You can't change what people want. It exists because a demand exists for it.

And I don't think that Cinnamon panel is especially XP-alike. There are similarities, but almost any desktop PC has a similar setup, barring the aforementioned Gnome Shell, Unity or Windows 8.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”