So, Mint 15 RC Cinnamon is sucking..

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
guimaster

Re: So, Mint 15 RC Cinnamon is sucking..

Post by guimaster »

Spearmint2 wrote:
Try the easier path. Lower your screen resolution. That makes everything get larger.
That was a great solution in the VGA days, but not anymore. LCD Monitors run best at the default resolution.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Jessey Lawson wrote: If this does not geting better then I will swtich back to 14 and start some new compition to MInt.
I would love to see this. :mrgreen:

If you have been using Linux Mint for some years, you will probably remember that all the peoples who have left Linux Mint to start a new Gnu/Linux have just... disappeared. :mrgreen:

Linux Mint is rocking solid, fast, good looking, and it works out of the box. I don't see any better system for now. Good luck with your new system :roll:
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Adelante wrote:I guess I got lucky. I'm not finding much to trouble me at all, just struggling to get the Netflix PPA to stick. Maybe it's just due to different computers, but I certainly didn't experience what you have. That would have been upsetting. I think the RC release (I'm also using Cinnamon) is beautiful and I'm glad I decided to try it ahead of the final release.
No, you didn't get lucky. The RC is working fine for most users that downloaded it and even better after the plethora of updates (bug fixes reported by the community) were applied. There have been the usual few isolated cases either due to certain hardware configurations, bad burns/writes, driver problems (usually related to Radeon and Broadcom), personal aesthetics, etc or a combination thereof but for most of us, the RC has run very well.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Adelante

Post by Adelante »

The bugfix/update process was remarkably efficient for this RC. I don't remember seeing the like before. Very impressive work by both community and dev team.
kmb42vt wrote:The RC is working fine for most users that downloaded it and even better after the plethora of updates (bug fixes reported by the community) were applied.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

davidpbrown wrote:So, long time Mint and Linux user.. I just fresh installed Mint 15 with Cinnamon and stumbling across alsorts of basic issues. I'd been using Mint 12 Mate for a long time and getting along fine, so might now do a switch to Mate.

The Panel application icons 'applet' is unresponsive; the look of the panels is basic with font size too small and tweaking that scales poorly; and there's a odd ripple effect as I scroll that looks like a graphics driver not performing though its the same driver I've used before. There's an odd delay for shutdown complaining about some modem issue and then needs sudo reboot to force it. The troubleshooting Looking Glass offers no simple way to close that - if you know then clicking the panel seems to get rid of it but while it's there it selfishly holds focus. All in all not impressed. Compounded with some video flash issue with inverted colours on .flv, I'm rather regretting doing this upgrade.

Perhaps in time it'll settle down but I feel like I've steps back three years into Ubuntu's past. :(
This is unusual as LM 15/Cinnamon RC has been running remarkably well for those of us that performed a clean install. So...

The Panel application icons 'applet' is unresponsive;

Not sure what you mean by "Panel application icons 'applet' ". Do you mean the "Panel Launchers" applet? Works fine here.

the look of the panels is basic with font size too small and tweaking that scales poorly

The "look" of the panel being "basic" is rather subjective (I like it but that's subjective too) but I agree with the font size being too small. There should be a way to "tweak it" in the settings. Of course, it does depend on your screen size. On my 14.1" wide screen ThinkPad R61, the Cinnamon Panel/Menu default font size (using the default "Linux MInt" Cinnamon theme) is fine while on my 20" wide screen desktop display it's still readable but a bit too small for comfort.

there's a odd ripple effect as I scroll that looks like a graphics driver not performing though its the same driver I've used before.

This is where posting your hardware specs comes into play. We can't help you unless we know what hardware you're using and whether your machine is a desktop or laptop/notebook. That aside, LM 15 RC uses a much newer kernel (3.8 ) than LM 12 did so in the meantime, open a terminal and type in the following command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Post the results here along with your hardware specs and make and model of the your machine. Without knowing what your graphics hardware is, Nvidia, Radeon or Intel, we can't be of much help as I said. However, if the results show that the "gallium .04" (software) driver is loaded that could be one of the problems with that ripple effect showing.

There's an odd delay for shutdown complaining about some modem issue and then needs sudo reboot to force it.

Is that a delay or is the system freezing at the modem issue? I've seen something like "Caught signal 15: modem manager" during reboot/shutdown on my desktop (LM 12, 13, 14 but not 15 RC...yet) but it didn't delay the reboot/shutdown at all. And it's an upstream issue as I've seen it when testing Ubuntu releases as well. Could you be a bit more detailed, please? :)

The troubleshooting Looking Glass offers no simple way to close that - if you know then clicking the panel seems to get rid of it but while it's there it selfishly holds focus.

There's an oddball behavior in Looking Glass (seen in LM 14 and other distros that use it as well I believe) that doesn't allow you to close it once opened unless you select another "tab" on the top right side of the window first (Windows, Errors, Memory, etc). Once you select another tab you can use the "ESC" key to close Looking Glass. As far as keeping the focus I believe that's the way it's supposed to work but I'm not 100% sure of that. And Looking Glass is a separate project outside of Mint I believe.

Inverted colors on Flash I haven't seen reported yet plus the ripple affects both sound like hardware/driver problems and, as I said previously, you really need to post your hardware specs, make and model the machine and whether it's a laptop/notebook or desktop PC is absolutely necessary for us to help you.
Last edited by kmb42vt on Sat May 25, 2013 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

TBABill wrote:
Jessey Lawson wrote:Clem you messed up Mint bad. We can't change the log in screen after the update know. I was looking forward to that and now it goes asay. All we get is that ugly clear screen. If this does not geting better then I will swtich back to 14 and start some new compition to MInt.
Is it just me or are comments like that just rude? I'm sure by threatening Clem you'll get everything you ask for, perhaps with an apology and some cash for your inconvenience?

Seriously, be part of the fix or find what works. Bitc*ing like a 10 year old does nothing. They work hard to make a great product, but they're also human and we're all prone to errors. I'm sure your login screen bug is their top priority now that you have so eloquently insulted and threatened them.
Don't bother, TBABill. He posted the exact same post (his first one on this thread) on another LM forum thread.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p721637

Further along in the same thread he also complained that Gnome 2 was included in Linux Mint 14 so why wasn't it included in Linux Mint 15 RC? I'm always willing to help people but I do have my limits.
rustguard
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rustguard »

kmb42vt wrote:
Adelante wrote:I driver problems (usually related to Radeon and Broadcom.
$%#& you broadcom, either fix your junk, or I will go make my own wi-fi card (yeah sure:P)
So while I am still on LM on the desktop, I couldnt get the Broadcom 4313 to work on my netbook, Although I had no trouble getting the mint working on a broadcom 4312. so hopfully fingers crossed it is fixed. problem is I got attached to Xfce while away. I'm interested to see how the new driver manager compares with Solydx's device driver manager
Redondo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Redondo »

TBABill wrote:...
Is it just me or are comments like that just rude? I'm sure by threatening Clem you'll get everything you ask for, perhaps with an apology and some cash for your inconvenience?
I'm out of touch and off topic, but your reply gave me a good laugh today. Thanks(seriously)!

Actually I was kind-a surprised to see the topic and needed to follow stench, er, interest. :)
T3(h_Fr34k

Post by T3(h_Fr34k »

Its the Best Linux Mint Distro I have ever Used! as long as i dont create anymore issues for myself by installing any outdated nonsense or the wrong software for another distro lol...
bwat47

Post by bwat47 »

Jessey Lawson wrote:Clem you messed up Mint bad. We can't change the log in screen after the update know. I was looking forward to that and now it goes asay. All we get is that ugly clear screen. If this does not geting better then I will swtich back to 14 and start some new compition to MInt.
I've had no problem changing the login screen in mint 15
jdeca57

Post by jdeca57 »

First, we get a raving review on ZDNet. Cinnamon is the best OS ever. Don't ask why Mate was worse, but there it is. And then there are people saying it absolutely sucks. Conclusion? It's impossible to do good for everyone. Still, a beginner who wants to come over from Windows, or any OS for that matter, has a choice to make. My suggestion would be to go the Ubuntu way and let the developer make the decision. For instance Mint goes with Mate, Cint with cinnamon. Note that I write this from a Cinnamon desktop. I installed it after reading the said review and on my hardware I had no problem at all.
eugene2878
Level 1
Level 1

Post by eugene2878 »

Guys. If some of you having a trouble with current release. It does not mean Olivia is bad, most often problem with drivers or kernel included with it.
Linux Mint 17.2 on Asus S500
guimaster

Post by guimaster »

I've had minimal issues. Certainly nothing to lose sleep about. But it is Linux and I always have more problems with Linux than I do when I set up Windows.

Compare that with Kubuntu 12.04 that I was running and I had several headaches. I'll be gladly sticking with Mint Cinnamon from now on.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”