First impressions on Mint.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Re: First impressions on Mint.

Post by Lumikki »

How many MB drivers do you have to install in Linux Mint? How often does the ethernet not work?
Never needed MB drivers in Linux and ethernet has allways worked. How ever mouse, keyboard and "display" hasn't allways worked.
In Windows installation I have had never situation that mouse, keyboard or display doesn't work after installation, as long they are connected correctly.
Also while I can install MB drivers in Windows, you don't have to, because it just makes some stuff better, but base works even without it.
How often over the years has windows had even Nvidia drivers included?
Never, but same is with linux. How ever screen (display) has allways worked even without drivers after installation in Windows, same can't sayed with Linux.
When I mean worked I mean that you actually see something in dislay, can move mouse and write with keybord. That doesn't mean you can get correct resolutions, but it does work.

I use linux Mint now every day, allmost 2 years now. So I like it, but I don't blind my self, that there is some serious issus in installation.
Also the hardware issues isn't allways that the hardware is unknown, it can be more like the system can't handle them correctly.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
dee.

Post by dee. »

Lumikki wrote:Never, but same is with linux. How ever screen (display) has allways worked even without drivers after installation in Windows, same can't sayed with Linux.
When I mean worked I mean that you actually see something in dislay, can move mouse and write with keybord. That doesn't mean you can get correct resolutions, but it does work.
No it's not the same, Linux does come with drivers included. It's only if you want to use the proprietary, closed-source drivers (AMD's Catalyst or Nvidia's ... Nvidia driver), that you have to install them yourself, this is because of legal reasons: the drivers are kernel modules but do not comply with the GPLv2 license, therefore they can not legally be distributed with the kernel.

It's also weird that you say that, I've always had my display working in Mint, no matter what - even when I've had incorrect drivers installed.
Lumikki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Lumikki »

dee. wrote:
Lumikki wrote:Never, but same is with linux. How ever screen (display) has allways worked even without drivers after installation in Windows, same can't sayed with Linux.
It's also weird that you say that, I've always had my display working in Mint, no matter what - even when I've had incorrect drivers installed.
That is my point, some doesn't have issue, but some does. Just because something should work, doens't mean it allways does so.

Not sure what's the issue, but it could be that X-windows system can't pick automaticly correct resolution / refresh rate. After installation Linux tries to pick highest possible resolution and refresh rate. Maybe the highest posible isn't allways working, because driver can't allways recognize correctly what monitor is used behind the graphics card.
Asus P7P55D, i5 750 2.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GeForce 750Ti, 80GB Intel SSD, Dell 1600x1200, Dual boot, Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon, Windows 7
dee.

Post by dee. »

Could be an issue with your monitor. Some monitors have incorrect EDID informations and such.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”