Mint - Ubuntu Done Right!!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=428

sorry - someone beat me to it!!!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Husse

Re: Mint - Ubuntu Done Right!!!

Post by Husse »

Lots of reviews now - mostly favourable
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

I have been saying this everywhere I can since I was introduced to Mint 3.

Not only is it ubuntu done right, it is Linux desktop done right.

One of 3 of the best desktop distros I think that are available.

I have nothing but the highest regard for the work of Clem and the folks who help put Mint together.

I would also like to compliment Husse here as we all know that a distros forums are as much a part of a distros presentation as the ISO itself.

Husse is essentially what I would call more than a mod but an ambassador of Mint. When I look for answers or information I am seeking on the forums, I always stop at His name. it is usually worthwhile.

That is due to people being comfortable in what they are doing, taking pride in what they do and having some fun while they do it.

kudos to the whole of of you folks involved with Mint. keep up the good work and I will keep you on my personal short list as well as the one I recommend to others.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

I have seen many posts daily re: Mint. I just did not want to post everyone and eat up space here and also it doesn't seem to make too much difference to most people anyway. But there are multiple posts daily the last month or so. :D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
Bugma302

Post by Bugma302 »

Been using Ubuntu for a couple of months and although I loved it's simplicity it just crawled along.

Wanted something similar but nippier and have found that in Mint.

Looks better too, except for one really big issue I have, I hate the vista style start menu. Call it personal taste but I like the way Ubuntu keeps running apps and Start Bar seperate. I just think the Mint Start Menu is too vista wanabee when half the joy of linux is that it isn't MS.
Paul_Vandenberg
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Paul_Vandenberg »

Bugma302 wrote:Been using Ubuntu for a couple of months and although I loved it's simplicity it just crawled along.

Looks better too, except for one really big issue I have, I hate the vista style start menu. Call it personal taste but I like the way Ubuntu keeps running apps and Start Bar seperate. I just think the Mint Start Menu is too vista wanabee when half the joy of linux is that it isn't MS.
Funny....the Mint Menu is one of the reasons I use Mint. I don't find it Vista-ish at all. It all comes down to personal preference and taste. Also, I don't think something should be dismissed just because it looks like something MS produced. MS does have a few good ideas.
merlwiz79
Level 8
Level 8

Post by merlwiz79 »

Bugma302 wrote:Been using Ubuntu for a couple of months and although I loved it's simplicity it just crawled along.

I don't see how it looks like the Vista start menu.
The idea came from Suses slab menu anyway.
I don't think you can even uninstall apps from Vistas menu.
Maybe I need to get my eyes checked.
NoClue!
Level 3
Level 3

Post by NoClue! »

Didn't mint menu come before vista? Vista resembles mint. Yeah microsoft........quit copying mint, go find your own menu before I ...............
deadguy
Level 5
Level 5

Post by deadguy »

Personally, I love Mint menu :D
badmotor

Post by badmotor »

Mint Menu can have my babies...

:D :D :D
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Paul_Vandenberg wrote:MS does have a few good ideas.
Hmm... if you say, but what is/are? :roll:

Bugma302 wrote:I hate the vista style start menu. Call it personal taste but I like the way Ubuntu keeps running apps and Start Bar seperate. I just think the Mint Start Menu is too vista [...]
Yes, me too. I (almost) always use two panels, which is the best, even in KDE or LXDE or XFCE for instance, and the default Gnome Menu, which is for me the best too.

As Premiumalex said, fortunately it's easy to set up :lol:

Of course it's just my opinion... :D 8)
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)

Post by Guest »

I am in total agreement with your conclusion. I have used everything from Gentoo, Fedora, Opensuse, Ubuntu, and have tried Opensolaris (To break up the redundancy), but none have the sheer ease of package installation, and choices of installation methods available. I mean it comes straight out of the box ripping and raring to move. I even am willing to break the stigma of "My box is 64 bit, so why should I use 32 bit", because I totally am not noticing any kind of slow down in reaction time or launch times for apps. It comes fully loaded with Internet goodies, as well as a full array of Audio /Video playback capabilities, and not to mention all of the apps that are readily available to easily and flawlessly installed. Two Thumbs WAY UP!!

Regards

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”