Adding a like post button to forum posts

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Adding a like post button to forum posts

Post by Acid_1 »

I've seen this before on other forums. It's also on a different forum that I frequent regularly. But how difficult would it be to implement a "like post" button on peoples posts within a thread?

Is there anyone else who likes that idea?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Adding a like post button to forum posts

Post by karlchen »

Hm, as much as I would certainly love to get the [Like] highscore for my absolutely witty and humorous posts, I think that in this forum it is more relevant that posts are helpful, no matter whether people like what I write or not.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Post by palo »

Have to add a thumbs down here too. Not because I don't want to see Karl's ridiculously high "Like" score but the less this forum takes on the characteristics of Myspace/Facebook the better. My wife calls this forum "Geekbook" as it is (I think it is the avatars).

Pat
excollier
Level 4
Level 4

Post by excollier »

A 'Thank You' button would be more appropriate, but one that doesn't keep score.
Registered Linux user #557695
MX Linux user these days - I introduce newbies via Mint
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

+1 to other posts about the issue. That kind of thing just reinforces my idea that our society is getting lazy click happy.
With minimal investment of actual human interaction with words.
As can't bother to actually take the time to share actual words about their opinions and take on it.

I kind of hate those kind of instant non-interactive responses.
I get all kind of clicks on the fav button on my images on flickr.
But few take the time to actually comment what they may like or dislike about a particular image.
And the majority of those are quick fly-by "Nice Pic" comments.

Seems are society is more interested in drive-thru super size quantity.
Then sitting down to a more taking their time for a enjoyable 4 course of balanced nutritional dialog.
Acid_1
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Acid_1 »

Orbmiser wrote:+1 to other posts about the issue. That kind of thing just reinforces my idea that our society is getting lazy click happy.
With minimal investment of actual human interaction with words.
As can't bother to actually take the time to share actual words about their opinions and take on it.

I kind of hate those kind of instant non-interactive responses.
I get all kind of clicks on the fav button on my images on flickr.
But few take the time to actually comment what they may like or dislike about a particular image.
And the majority of those are quick fly-by "Nice Pic" comments.

Seems are society is more interested in drive-thru super size quantity.
Then sitting down to a more taking their time for a enjoyable 4 course of balanced nutritional dialog.

I think you totally missed what my point all together. They simply show how many people thought it was funny, clever, good timing, good advice, etc.

It isn't a replacement, it's a supplement. It's like saying that people are going to prefer taking vitamin supplements and never eating again because they have no need for food. They're just an addition to something that already works, making it work better.

Maybe it's not for everyone, and I'm not trying to convert the Mint forums into a different forum. I'm simply sharing ideas that I thought worked well and would like to see my other favourite community (Mint) benefit from it.

Just my ¢0.02.
Orbmiser

Post by Orbmiser »

I think you totally missed what my point all together. They simply show how many people thought it was funny, clever, good timing, good advice, etc.
Well don't think I missed the point. Just a different take on degree of useful.
As don't need the counter if people actually typed out the
simply show how many people thought it was funny, clever, good timing, good advice, etc
By actually giving a commented response instead.

Like I said my experience on forums with that feature. Is many will give a generic yes/no/thumbs up/down,etc..
Without me ever knowing why. And many rely on it without sharing their thoughts,opinions on it. Just always clicking on likes and such as a quick way of acknowledgment without sharing themselves further.

And your opinion is different and just as valid as mine is to be opposite take on them.
Nothing wrong with that. And what makes actually interacting in the forums great.
SilverNexus

Post by SilverNexus »

Personally, I would prefer to not have a like button on Linux Mint Forums (or any forum I visit, for that matter). It makes it too easily to simply click a button, but not actually add content to a discussion.

Besides, since a lot of forum posts are help requests, how is it ever to be used? You can't solve a problem by liking a post a thousand times (or getting all your friends to like it too).

The only buttons I need to see are Submit, Priview, Save, and Login.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”