Thinking about making the move from Xubuntu

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Thinking about making the move from Xubuntu

Postby Hampton275 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:07 pm

I use Xubuntu/Dapper and have a had a couple of minor issues, nothing big, but I really like the philosophy that Mint has. That being said I want to make sure as many of my bases are covered as possible.
I have a dual core Intel w/2 gig mem, Nvidia 6800GT(256 mg), wireless, blah, blah.
Important programs I use. Other than the obvious:
Enlightenment, Citrix, Cisco VPN client, crypto-loop, gtkpod, konqueror, k3b and most importantly and also the major reason I am switching; CHBG!! Yes I am shallow, but I like the pretty pictures, but I also like Enlightenment which puts me in a bit of a niche market.
So all that being said, have these been tested on Mint? If so, I am sold.

Any responses for verification on running these would be great.

PS. chbg doesn't currently work in Dapper(for me) and I have had no responses to my posts, so if someone has a roughly similar system and can throw it on and let me know if chbg works, that would be great.

TIA
Hampton275
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby davek7 on Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:28 am

Go for it! Burn a copy of ver. 2.1 "Bea" beta and try it as a Live CD. I've been impressed with it so far. The final version of 2.1 comes out Dec. 20. By then you'll want to install it on your HD.

Give it a try!
davek7
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rlozano on Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:00 am

my primary is actually xubuntu edgy, i have no problems with it really, although i have not tried some of your mentioned applications. what i really like with XFCE is your freedom to make your desktop (just like fluxbox). ;-)

but as davek said, go try it, it will not harm you, just make sure that you have the backup of your data. Bea is released today and i just have it in my machine for testing, thought i've been playing with LinuxMint since initial release.

IMHO, my personal consideration in choosing a main distro is actually its stability and the strong community behind it.
rlozano
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Chat about Linux Mint