Making my first "built" PC a Linux Mint one

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TNTS

Making my first "built" PC a Linux Mint one

Post by TNTS »

Being a 13 year old boy without a lot of money, being able to "build" my first PC is like learning to ride a bike for the very first time. My dad's PC finally gave out and the mobo died. I was really scared because the first time I tried to switch the motherboard, I broke the leg of an LGA775 Heatsink and decided I never want to do it again but since this happened I decided to try it out one last time and with proper guidance I got it up and running. I was expecting to just replace the mobo but I had to do more than that. I had to go through stores looking for a PSU then looking for RAM then looking for SATA Cables and it felt AMAZING! Its like your shopaholic wife on a shopping spree with $1000 dollars on a credit card and 50% off written all over the shelves. So long story short I bought new stuff and replaced everything except for the RAM, Processor, Case and the mobo. Now that its 99% complete (need to pick up some thermal paste) I decided that that PC will be running Mint 13 LTS.

Here's the specs of the PC:
Asus P5PE-VM Rev 1.03
Intel Pentium D 925 3 GHz
1.5 GB of DDR RAM
40GB of IDE HDD
Intel 865G Chipset
LG Flatron
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
RobertLM78
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Making my first "built" PC a Linux Mint one

Post by RobertLM78 »

I think Mint (13) is a wise choice for the machine. I've got an older machine with only 1 GB of ram, and Mint runs superbly on it (even more so than Xubuntu 12.04, which I also have installed on another HD in the same machine.)

Actually, installing Xubuntu the other day gave me renewed appreciation of what a great job the Mint team has done - in spite of the fact that the Xubuntu team has done really well also, making an OS that runs nicely on older/less-powerful hardware.
Gateway DX4860, Sapphire Radeon HD 5450, 8 GB RAM, Mint 17.3 64-bit (Rosa), MATE
AMD Ryzen 3-3100, AMD Radeon RX 570, 16 GB RAM, Mint 21 (Vanessa), MATE
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Making my first "built" PC a Linux Mint one

Post by InkKnife »

RobertLM78 wrote:I think Mint (13) is a wise choice for the machine. I've got an older machine with only 1 GB of ram, and Mint runs superbly on it (even more so than Xubuntu 12.04, which I also have installed on another HD in the same machine.)

Actually, installing Xubuntu the other day gave me renewed appreciation of what a great job the Mint team has done - in spite of the fact that the Xubuntu team has done really well also, making an OS that runs nicely on older/less-powerful hardware.
There is nothing wrong with Mint13lts and it may be the best choice for this young man but only because of the advantages an LTS offers.
My experience with Mint going from 12 to being currently on 15 is that Mint versions have not gotten more demanding system-wise. I can say categorically that each version of the Cinnamon Edition has been lighter and faster than the one it replaced.
I am running Mint15/Cinnamon on an old P4@3.06ghz with 2gig of ram and it really works well. I rarely see ram usage get over one gig.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”