4th most widely used operating system in the world?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

4th most widely used operating system in the world?

Postby saxgeek on Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:48 pm

During the installation of Linux Mint, it says that Linux Mint is the 4th most widely used operating system in the world. I know for a fact that this is not true. Windows 7, 8, XP, Vista, Mac OS X, iOS, Android, and Ubuntu all surpass Linux Mint in terms of usage share. Even if we just count desktop operating systems, Windows 7, XP, 8, Vista, OS X 10.8, and W 8.1 all surpass Linux (combined). Ubuntu is still more popular than Mint. Linux Mint is in no way the fourth most popular operating system in the world. I only know of one person besides myself who uses Linux, and he uses Ubuntu. I know lots of people with Vista, 7, 8, XP, and OS X. Why does Linux Mint display this information if it's just plain not true?
Wild WEBSITE appeared!
Go! LINUX!
Wild WEBSITE used TROJAN!
It doesn't affect LINUX...

Computer:
Acer Aspire 5920 - Linux Mint 15 64-bit Xfce edition
Asus EeePC 1000HD - Windows XP Home Edition SP3 + Crunchbang Linux 11 32-bit
saxgeek
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: 4th most widely used operating system in the world?

Postby tdockery97 on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:26 pm

First of all, Vista/7/8/XP are all different versions of the same OS: Windows. So if you want to count the top 4 operating systems they are 1) Windows, 2) OSX, 3) Ubuntu, and 4) Linux Mint.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook, 8GB DDR3, 2.5GHZ A10-APU, Radeon HD 8650G
tdockery97
Level 13
Level 13

Postby MALsPa on Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:45 pm

tdockery97 wrote:First of all, Vista/7/8/XP are all different versions of the same OS: Windows. So if you want to count the top 4 operating systems they are 1) Windows, 2) OSX, 3) Ubuntu, and 4) Linux Mint.

I'd say that, as well, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are different versions of the same OS (Linux).
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby monkeyboy on Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:30 pm

First I thought the OP had too much time on its hands because it posted such a trivial piece then I realized I had way, way, way too much time on my hands because I was responding. Oh well.
If you don't like it, make something better
If you can't make something better, adapt
If you can't do either ball your panties up and cry.

Complaining is like masticating most anyone can do it.
However doing it in public is really hardcore.
monkeyboy
Level 5
Level 5

Postby mintEme on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:18 am

The ones that use Windows, Mac, are the same people that only browse the web read email and only know how to use a computer the way the company they work for has shown them how to. Linux users be it unbuntu or mint use a computer to enhance there life and get real work done. I use mint because Ubuntu tried to copy Mac OS with the unity desktop. Being in IT 22 years I have yet to find any reason to go back to Windows MInt does everything I need it to do.
mintEme
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Bolle1961 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:20 am

mintEme wrote:The ones that use Windows, Mac, are the same people that only browse the web read email and only know how to use a computer the way the company they work for has shown them how to. Linux users be it unbuntu or mint use a computer to enhance there life and get real work done..

That's just stuff.
Bolle1961
Level 4
Level 4

Postby saxgeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:17 pm

First of all, I'm a college student, so I don't have too much time on my hands. I just saw that piece information when installing Linux Mint and questioned it. Alright, I now see how they say that Mint is the fourth most widely used operating system, but in my view, if you group all Windows operating systems together, then you should group all Linux operating systems together. Linux is not an operating system; it's a kernel. Windows NT is not an operating system; it is a kernel. However, we classify operating systems based on their kernels, so Linux is a class of operating systems that includes Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint etc., and Windows is a class of operating systems that includes XP, Vista, Windows 7, etc. So Linux Mint should be classified as a version of Linux. I know that the Linux Mint developers are trying to say that there is a very large support base for Linux Mint, (which there really is), but it doesn't seem correct in my opinion to say that Linux Mint is the fourth most widely used operating system in the world. But this is for the developers to decide, not me.
Wild WEBSITE appeared!
Go! LINUX!

Computer:
saxgeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ninomrki on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:34 pm

The way I see it, Microsoft makes Windows and Apple makes Mac OS. Linux operating systems are not made by one company. That is why there are 300+ different versions of Linux operating systems and that is why they are all considered to be different operating systems. If you are going to classify operating systems by kernels, then you can say that Android is also Linux since they use a Linux kernel. Sure, it's a "modified Linux kernel", but it's still a Linux kernel.
Home is where the Wi-Fi is.

Registered Linux user #562302
ninomrki
Level 2
Level 2

Postby xenopeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:29 pm

As per the website; "Started in 2006, Linux Mint is now the 4th most widely used home operating system behind Microsoft Windows, Apple Mac OS and Canonical's Ubuntu." It's the 4th most widely used home operating system, counted like that. If you count it a different way, then yes, it will be in a different place :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby js3915 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I can see where the OP is coming from :D

Linux as a whole would be 3rd maybe 2nd even if you include android breaking it out by distribution of linux it would be 4th behind win, mac and ubuntu.

I think linux as a whole should be considered all as one to encompass all distros as linux is the core Ubuntu Mint etc is more or less an application stack built on top the the kernel but thats me :D
js3915
Level 3
Level 3

Postby saxgeek on Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:15 pm

Also, we must not forget Chrome OS. I'm pretty sure there are more people out there with Chromebooks than there are with Linux Mint. Hmmm... This would actually make Mint the 4th most popular Linux distro behind Android, Chrome OS, and Ubuntu.
Wild WEBSITE appeared!
Go! LINUX!

Computer:
saxgeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dee. on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 am

MALsPa wrote:
tdockery97 wrote:First of all, Vista/7/8/XP are all different versions of the same OS: Windows. So if you want to count the top 4 operating systems they are 1) Windows, 2) OSX, 3) Ubuntu, and 4) Linux Mint.

I'd say that, as well, Ubuntu and Linux Mint are different versions of the same OS (Linux).

There's one problem with that: Technically, there's no such OS as "Linux", there are OS's that are based on the Linux kernel.

Furthermore, if we consider Linux to be an OS, and any OS that uses the Linux kernel to be included as a "Linux OS", then "Linux" is by far the most popular OS in the world. There are more installations of "Linux" than all other operating systems combined. That is, if you count all operating systems, and not just ones on a very limited hardware type (desktop computers).

If we're only counting desktop computers, then Windows-based OS's are first place, then comes OS X, which is based partially on FreeBSD, then various OS's based on the Linux kernel, ie. Linux-based operating systems. Of those, Ubuntu is probably the most popular, while Mint is probably the second most popular, however there are no accurate statistics available so it's impossible to say for sure. So it's probably not inaccurate per se to say Mint is the 4th most popular (on the desktop). It's wildly inaccurate to say it's 4th most popular on all computers, but that's probably irrelevant since Mint is a pure desktop OS and doesn't exist outside the desktop.
dee.
Level 4
Level 4

Postby passerby on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:58 am

saxgeek wrote:Also, we must not forget Chrome OS. I'm pretty sure there are more people out there with Chromebooks than there are with Linux Mint. Hmmm... This would actually make Mint the 4th most popular Linux distro behind Android, Chrome OS, and Ubuntu.

If you're including Android (the mobile market), then I bet Debian, CentOS and RHEL (kings of the server world) each trump Chrome OS.
Though this is about home desktop OS's, so I think mobile and server stats should be left out. In which case, Chrome OS would be an interesting comparison.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Zorba on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:28 am

If real counting was ever made Linux Mint will be the 3rd and ubuntu the second most used OS in the world. Why is that??? pretty simply! Mac OS machine are very expensive and not everyon,e can afford. Take my country, Tunisia, for instance, I know many people who run ubuntu and Linux Mint but I've seen quite a few who own a Mac OS machine or have ever USED an OS x. Plus, Linux is always kept out of mainstream media and no one really knows how many people are running Linux. And FYI, most servers are Linux servers, even in Microsoft controlled countries like my country. Mind you, Last time, I was forced BY THE MINISTRY OF FLIPPING EDUCATION to replace Linux with Windblows at my school! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Postby saxgeek on Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Linux seems to be pretty unknown to the general U.S. population. Few people I talk to even know what Linux is! At my school, I'd estimate that about 70% of the students use Mac OS X, about 20% use Windows 8.x and the remaining 10% use Windows 7 on their laptops. The school's computers consist mainly of Windows 7, with a few Macs and XPs. I only know two people personally who use Linux (excluding Android). one has a Chromebook and the other uses Ubuntu. People don't know what they're missing!
Wild WEBSITE appeared!
Go! LINUX!

Computer:
saxgeek
Level 1
Level 1

Postby shengchieh on Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:11 pm

Personally I would change the quote and avoid the debate. Something like

As of [date] Linux Mint is # 1 on distrowatch

or some other slogan promoting LM.

Sheng-Chieh
shengchieh
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MALsPa on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:08 am

Anyway, I believe the OP to be correct:

saxgeek wrote:Linux Mint is in no way the fourth most popular operating system in the world.

dee. makes a good point:
dee. wrote:Technically, there's no such OS as "Linux", there are OS's that are based on the Linux kernel.

However, Linux (or "GNU/Linux") IS commonly referred to as an "operating system." On the other hand, a Linux distribution can be considered to be a type of GNU/Linux operating system. I guess both ways of looking at it are valid.

I'm not sure if The Linux Information Project (http://linfo.org/) can be considered to be an authority on the terminology, but in their list of "The Most Popular Operating Systems" (http://www.linfo.org/operating_systems_list.html), they put it like this:

Linux - a high performance, yet completely free, Unix-like operating system launched by Linus Torvalds in 1991. GNU/Linux, as it is also called (because it makes extensive use of utilities and other software developed by the GNU project) is suitable for use on a wide range of platforms and is compatible with both 32 bit and 64 bit processors. More than 200 distributions (i.e., versions) of Linux have been introduced, among the most popular of which are Red Hat, SuSE, Mandrake, Debian and Ubuntu. Although its overall market share is still small, Linux is the most rapidly growing of any major operating system.

But I'm with monkeyboy:

monkeyboy wrote:I realized I had way, way, way too much time on my hands because I was responding.

8)

Later.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby ben2talk on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:08 am

mintEme wrote:The ones that use Windows, Mac, are the same people that only browse the web read email and only know how to use a computer the way the company they work for has shown them how to. Linux users be it unbuntu or mint use a computer to enhance there life and get real work done. I use mint because Ubuntu tried to copy Mac OS with the unity desktop. Being in IT 22 years I have yet to find any reason to go back to Windows MInt does everything I need it to do.

ROFL - many professionals are tied to OSX or Windows because of the software environment.

Gamers certainly use Windows.
Photographers love Lightroom.

Lets not mention how many people who can not spell their 'there's' use Linux!!!!!
ben2talk
Level 1
Level 1

Postby The-Wizard on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:58 am

if we take a different stance and split operating systems [microsoft,osx,linux] from application managers [win 7/8 , mac, ubuntu,mint,redhat etc] then linux must be the main os in the world for it not only drives the known linux based desktops [android mint,ubuntu,debian etc] it is also the main driving force behind such as smart t/v,satellite and terrestrial decoders, smart washing machines,microwaves,cookers, even many cars computer systems,

so i prefer to think of linux as the os that helps control our daily lives, and chose mint as my main application manager with android on my mobile devices, yes linux and mint can be a pain at times getting the right application to work but in 4 yrs i haven't had one crash/bluescreen or fail to boot

wizard
asus M2N-MX board, AMD x2 6000 amd/ati graphics 4x1mb ddr2, 21" HD screen Mint 17-64 cinnamon
Acer ZG5 -peppermint dell 1545 mint 17-64

"I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that i don't know the answer " [Douglas Adams]
The-Wizard
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint