Linux Mint 16 Review

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Linux Mint 16 Review

Postby David789 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi guys, I just read a nice review about the new Petra release, where it said that Mint is the close to prefection when it comes to performance, the stabilty is great. but the authour got me thinking about the aesthtiec looks of Cinnamon which is what I used, Do you think it looks oldish or non-minimalistic?
I didn't thought about it before and would love to hear other people opinions...

P.S. here is the review I read:
http://iwillfolo.blogspot.com/2013/12/l ... eview.html
David789
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint 16 Review

Postby MALsPa on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:20 pm

I don't know, I was running a live session of Mint 16 Cinnamon yesterday and thought it looked quite nice, very attractive. Whatever. Nice review, by the way -- thanks for the link.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby k357k9 on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:03 pm

Certain colors seem to work better for me, so I change those. But, that is true any where there is a choice of themes. It is just easier on my eyes.
k357k9
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Gerapa on Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:13 pm

My opinion is that's just a matter of taste. The review is good, but Mint being not very nice is not a fact, it's the taste of the author. Mint is nice for me.
Gerapa
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BRKsays on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:06 pm

There will always be room for improvement. This mint release, Petra, even though not perfect works just fine for me. So its really subjective how people like mint.
Dell Inspiron N5050 - Intel Core i3-2330M CPU @ 2.20 GHz, 2GB DDR3 RAM with Intel HD 3000 Graphics
Linux Mint 16 "Petra" Cinnamon 64-bit
Enjoying the beauty of Linux world!
BRKsays
Level 2
Level 2

Postby tek_heretik on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:17 pm

Runs great, looks great but there's still a few things missing that KDE has (word on the street is Cinnamon is now a serious competitor to KDE, lol). My pet peeve, right click 'open with' has no 'run/show in terminal' option/function, not a huge thing but something I would like to see. Overall it's pretty snappy and functional, MATE and Gnome 2.x are getting long in the tooth, by all accounts, Cinnamon will carry the NORMAL PC desktop Gnome 3.x and up torch in to the future, PC people want a PC desktop, not a smart-phone GUI. Was running Kubuntu, this great release is enough to make me switch back to Mint early (was already contemplating it), by that I mean I usually run LTS releases. My $0.02 :D

Edit: Question, only 'spun' it live so far (not SSD raid installed yet), am curious, after I get the nVidia driver installed, is there a spinning desktop cube feature or do I have to install a separate set of packages for it?
Core 2 Quad Q9550(2.83GHz), 2 Intel 520 series SSDs Raid 0 (2x120GB), 1TB Seagate storage HDD, 8GB Kingston Hyper X, 23" LG LED, etc, running ONLY 64-bit Linux. I don't like Microsoft AND Apple, too pricey and pushy.
tek_heretik
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Linux Mint 16 on a UEFI system

Postby Pierre on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:21 am

Installing Linux Mint 16 on a UEFI system with Ubuntu

The release notes specifically state that the EFI boot directory will be called /boot/efi/EFI/linuxmint, and this was indeed the case with Linux Mint 15, which leads me to the aforementioned assumption that this has happened as part of fixing the UEFI boot problems.

If you don't have Ubuntu installed, and you don't plan to install Ubuntu on the same system after installing Mint, then I believe Mint will install and work without problem.

http://www.zdnet.com/installing-linux-m ... 000023834/
Pierre
Level 6
Level 6

Postby jasauders on Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:48 am

I'll bite...

In terms of aesthetics, Cinnamon needs some work. I can understand the desire to use a panel based setup as it fills a void for a lot of users, but panel based application switching, to me, is a real bummer. I've come to realize that reading small text in the panel is not an overly efficient way to switch applications and preserve screen real estate. Look at Windows 7, who did away with text in the panel. Instead, there are larger icons, which is a unique hybrid to incorporate a slightly (do I dare say) OS X oriented approach like they use with the dock. After you get used to it, it just feels more natural and fluid. Likewise, I've been messing with a few other distros lately, which at this point largely includes Unity, Gnome 3, and Pantheon from elementary OS. Both Unity and Gnome 3 use icons to switch open applications, despite their differences in terms of UX otherwise. Pantheon utilizes a dock, similar to that of OS X. Then I come to Cinnamon and I see the panel and... it's just a bummer.

That being said, I like the fact that Mint is pretty customizable. I ended up just adding the docky PPA (where plank is also located) and utilize plank for managing running applications. At that point I nuked the applications switcher in the panel and have lived happily ever after since. So, in short, yes Cinnamon has some improving to do. I personally would love to see the dash to dock extension from Gnome 3 ported into an applet to Cinnamon. Having that integrated as an option without somebody like me needing to go grab a PPA to pull in plank (for example) would be a huge bonus in my eyes. And yes, I know a dock extension exists already, but have you actually used it? It's uh... :(

The other thing that I've always grown confused about is the default theme. There's also inconsistent spacing between icons and things are not arranged in a logical manner. Compare this to Unity, Gnome 3, or elementary OS where things are identically sized, shaped, distanced, and consistent. The darkish-but-still-light gray doesn't do Cinnamon any favors either. I find the Gnome theme available from the online themes tab helps a lot, but still I see areas where Cinnamon lacks a bit of refinement in comparison to the big 3 I named otherwise.

In closing, Cinnamon is absolutely fantastic, and I really like Mint, but it's not exactly difficult by any stretch of the imagination to compare screenshots and immediately see what I'm talking about. I like that I can easily customize Cinnamon to do what I like, but at the end of the day, you know what they say - it's the defaults that make the impression.
jasauders
Level 1
Level 1

Postby David789 on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:06 am

cool man, I agree - thanks :-)
David789
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint