I think Mint 17 will be a v big release for open source OSs!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

I think Mint 17 will be a v big release for open source OSs!

Postby hoppimike on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:14 am

Mainly because Cinnamon will now provide a very stylish, graphically slick, ultra-polished, long term support desktop. I feel that it will be significantly more mature than in 13.

Anyone else excited for this LTS? :)
"You'll be trying Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition."
"What's that... for cooks?"
hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I think Mint 17 will be a v big release for open source

Postby InkKnife on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:07 am

I am. I have been enjoying the fast development that has been going on in Mint the last two years but now I am ready to settle into the longer LTS cycle and as good as LM16 is I expect LM17 to be very sweet and a good place to be long term.
InkKnife
Level 4
Level 4

Postby famicommander on Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 pm

I'm very much enjoying Petra but I'm always interested in a new LTS release.

I'm more of a MATE/Xfce guy myself as opposed to Cinnamon but it's all good. As long as nobody tries to make me use GNOME3, Unity, or KDE.
famicommander
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hoppimike on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:37 pm

InkKnife wrote:I am. I have been enjoying the fast development that has been going on in Mint the last two years but now I am ready to settle into the longer LTS cycle and as good as LM16 is I expect LM17 to be very sweet and a good place to be long term.

I know what you mean :)

Also, sometimes I install a free OS on a machine if I want to sell it, and Mint 13 Cinnamon is my current choice. I feel like 17 will be significantly better though!

famicommander wrote:I'm very much enjoying Petra but I'm always interested in a new LTS release.

I'm more of a MATE/Xfce guy myself as opposed to Cinnamon but it's all good. As long as nobody tries to make me use GNOME3, Unity, or KDE.

I love XFCE! I just... really like the flashy style of Cinnamon - nice desktop effects and such! And what's wrong with KDE? :o

I agree though that Gnome 3 and Unity are a bit weird.

Cinnamon is of course based on Gnome 3 (as is Unity, I'm sure) but... yeah. Cinnamon is way more sane than those IMO! :)
hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Postby passerby on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:18 pm

I won't be using it myself, but I am looking forward to the release.
It'll be especially nice to have people grab the "latest and greatest" and get 5 years of support instead of 9 months :lol:
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 13.10 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hoppimike on Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:34 pm

passerby wrote:I won't be using it myself, but I am looking forward to the release.
It'll be especially nice to have people grab the "latest and greatest" and get 5 years of support instead of 9 months :lol:

Absolutely!
hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Postby InkKnife on Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:09 pm

famicommander wrote:I'm very much enjoying Petra but I'm always interested in a new LTS release.

XFCE is great. I used it after I borked Cinnamon by trying to update to 2.0 after a few beers on LM15. :?
I installed XFCE shortly after installing LM16 as my backup DE of choice. I like Cinnamon best because it is just so comfortable and kinda luxurious but XFCE works great and you have to love how fast it is.
InkKnife
Level 4
Level 4

Postby hoppimike on Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:22 am

InkKnife wrote:

XFCE is great. I used it after I borked Cinnamon by trying to update to 2.0 after a few beers on LM15. :?
I installed XFCE shortly after installing LM16 as my backup DE of choice. I like Cinnamon best because it is just so comfortable and kinda luxurious but XFCE works great and you have to love how fast it is.

Absolutely! I find XFCE speedy and a delight to use, at least in the Mint version! It was particularly nice as an alternative I think before Cinnamon got more mature. These days Cinnamon is looking more polished and so I'd be happier using it as my regular desktop. XFCE is still fantastic for older machines though and on those where speed is very important.

To be honest, I find MATE looks quite dated these days. Maybe it's the kind of metallic (as I remember) look of the Mint Menu, etc. I just think that Cinnamon, XFCE and KDE all look more modern. Then again, I haven't used MATE extensively.

17 should be a great release for all of them though :)
hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Postby DeMus on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:24 pm

What is wrong with KDE? For me it is the one and only DE since I started using it. I had to find something else since Gnome came with Gnome 3 and Ubuntu started with Unity, two systems who divided the whole world.
It took some time to get used to KDE, to learn the daily things, but once you are past that it is a great DE. I just installed Mint XFCE in a VM and I feel like I am going back to Windows 95. Really, once you got used to KDE you never want something else again. Trust me.
I also "tested" Mate and Cinnamon but somehow I can't get myself to go back to a "Gnome" system which looks, sorry for saying this, old-fashion.
The KDE plasma desktop looks so shining, so polished, so amazing, I never wants something else anymore.

Clem, any chance there will ever be a LMDE version with the KDE desktop? That way I never have to think about re-installing again.

On topic: I am also looking forward to the next LTS since I believe the 9 months, which were enforced upon us by Mark Shuttleworth, is terrible. Once you have the new system installed, configured and updated because there will always be errors, half of that time is gone already. No, I want an LTS version so I can use it for several years.
Of course one with KDE. Needless to say. :D
No more Windows and Gates since Ubuntu 8.04, used 9.04, 10.04, then switched to Kubuntu because of Unity and Gnome 3.
After that it is Mint, used 9 till 16 all in KDE version and loving it.
DeMus
Level 4
Level 4

AW: I think Mint 17 will be a v big release for open source

Postby teilnehmer on Mon Dec 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Me too! I checked out LM16 just out of curiosity, and I was so overwhelmed I installed it the next day. So, my Laptop is running 16 Cinnamon right now, while my Desktop is still at 13 XFCE, and I like both of them.
I don't know what I'll do in April, but I'm definitely looking very much forward to Mint 17!

It's been a smooth, rounded experience with any Mint release, but I agree that 17 will be very evolved.
teilnehmer
Level 2
Level 2

Postby exploder on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:38 pm

I just upgraded a Ubuntu 13.10 install to 14.04, so far everything looks really good. Being that 14.04 will be the package base for Mint 17 this is a good sign. :D
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby MALsPa on Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:22 am

famicommander wrote:As long as nobody tries to make me use GNOME3, Unity, or KDE.

Cool thing about Linux, nobody tries to make anyone use anything. (I'll take either GNOME Shell, Unity, or KDE over either Cinnamon or MATE.)
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Postby RacerBG on Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:12 am

I agree with the thread subject. :) Cinnamon WILL be very cool but still I prefer a few MB's less in favor of XFCE/Mate.

While Im waiting for this Im also wait for Wine to mature more... :|
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Night Wing on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:59 am

RacerBG wrote:I agree with the thread subject. :) Cinnamon WILL be very cool but still I prefer a few MB's less in favor of XFCE/Mate.

I'm using Mint 16 in XFCE right now on this desktop computer. I'm hooked on XFCE flavors so I'm also looking forward to the LTS of Mint 17.

On a sidesnote, I wish some of the programs in the respository would get upgraded especially Wine. Wine 1.6 has been out since July (I think) 2013. Yet, in the repository, Wine 1.4 hasn't been upgraded.

My friend uses Mate in Mint 13 and in order to get one of his favorite Windows program to run under Wine, he had to install the PPA for Wine 1.6 from the Wine website since the Windows program he likes won't run under Wine (1.4).
Night Wing
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RacerBG on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:02 pm

Night Wing wrote:
RacerBG wrote:I agree with the thread subject. :) Cinnamon WILL be very cool but still I prefer a few MB's less in favor of XFCE/Mate.

I'm using Mint 16 in XFCE right now on this desktop computer. I'm hooked on XFCE flavors so I'm also looking forward to the LTS of Mint 17.

On a sidesnote, I wish some of the programs in the respository would get upgraded especially Wine. Wine 1.6 has been out since July (I think) 2013. Yet, in the repository, Wine 1.4 hasn't been upgraded.

My friend uses Mate in Mint 13 and in order to get one of his favorite Windows program to run under Wine, he had to install the PPA for Wine 1.6 from the Wine website since the Windows program he likes won't run under Wine (1.4).

Yeah, this is one thing. But is totally another my direct 3d sound/music problems with it... Im totally independent from Windows if we not count this little thing. If they fix this issues then Windows will free up my virtual machine.
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Linee on Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:03 pm

:| Others may be better but for right now I'm sticking with my KDE. I can understand though the dislike for Unity although I might end up using it again on someone else's system.
Linee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint