Public PCs having to drop XP... migrate to Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Re: Public PCs having to drop XP... migrate to Mint?

Postby hoppimike on Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:03 pm

900i wrote:
They would need a full desktop environment and solution,

Why, what apart from a browser are they running at the moment.

erm, I really don't know.

I would imagine Office, and I was using a DVD burning application. Also reasonably sophisticated admin features would be needed I would think.

I do see your point that most people will use a limited number of programs... I just find OSs like ChromeOS so dull and empty!

Definitely not my style! I like it to be flashy and have lots of features! And be visually appealing! But of course at the same time functional and not annoying :)
"You'll be trying Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition."
"What's that... for cooks?"
hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby MartyMint on Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:12 pm

hoppimike wrote:I like it to be...

...not annoying :)

:|
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby fraxinus_63 on Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:28 am

I'm afraid that here in the UK at least I don't see it happening - certainly in local government. The alliance between MS and big hardware providers is still too deeply embedded.

I live in Norfolk, where our County Council has just unveiled a new scheme for the authority's long term digital future - in the form of a partnership with Microsoft and HP, amongst other major players. I'm afraid there is no hope whatever of an alternative approach. I promise you that most or all councillors and senior council officers will know nothing at all about Linux.

One of the main problems with this kind of lock-in is that it keeps Linux out of the public eye. It consolidates a situation where most people only know "WIndows and Word" and are instinctively reluctant to try anything else.
fraxinus_63
Level 3
Level 3

Postby hoppimike on Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:20 am

fraxinus_63 - Yeah I suppose that's true. However it only takes one or two of them to show an interest in it for things to take steps towards changing. Ubuntu and Mint are both increasingly in the public eye as well as programs connected to open source or wholly open source such as Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, Apache, Android and others. Hopefully Ubuntu will push for a larger market share. Although I'm not so keen on Ubuntu anymore, this would better Mint too and increase exposure for both of them and Linux as a whole.
"You'll be trying Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition."
"What's that... for cooks?"
hoppimike
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MartyMint on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:14 pm

No organisation is going to adopt an operating system on a 9 month release cycle.

The only choice is to set up LTS versions or wait until Mint officially supports a version upgrade procedure.
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby DaveJ on Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:47 pm

MartyMint wrote:No organisation is going to adopt an operating system on a 9 month release cycle.

The only choice is to set up LTS versions or wait until Mint officially supports a version upgrade procedure.

Exacty this. It's all about support when it comes to big organisations. It has been / is being tried though. Anyone read this http://www.techrepublic.com/article/how ... -the-city/ ?

It's not cheap to use free software, especially on a big scale.

Dave
DaveJ
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fraxinus_63 on Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:58 am

It's not cheap to use free software, especially on a big scale.

Indeed not, and different skills bases and expertise are needed too. As well as tech skills as such, we are talking about higher-level management. How many senior IT people in large public bodies understand the potential of Linux?

I would love to see more public organisations use Linux as distros like Mint's LTS versions would fit the bill beautifully. However, when promoting it I think we should be promoting better security and freedom from vendor lock-in as much as reduced cost.
fraxinus_63
Level 3
Level 3

Postby RacerBG on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Here in Bulgaria for example there are still offices with Windows 2000 because it works. Of course most of them are using XP but this is the minority. Most companies, banks, universities and others are using Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008.

Looking at this I can say for sure that nobody here is scared from the deadline. :lol: No money, scared from "the new", used to the old (Windows in this case).
Linux Mint User
RacerBG
Level 4
Level 4

Postby wanderer7 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:05 pm

They could migrate to some Ubuntu based distro. France's National Gendarmerie did exactly that. From wikipedia: "The GendBuntu project originated with the end of distribution by Microsoft of Windows XP, and its inevitable replacement with Windows Vista or a later edition of Windows on government computers. This meant that the Gendarmerie would have incurred large expenses for staff retraining even if it had continued to use proprietary software.

One of the main aims of the GendBuntu project was for the organisation to become independent from proprietary software distributors and editors, and achieve significant savings in software costs (estimated to be around two million euros per year)."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GendBuntu
wanderer7
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Tar_Ni on Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:54 pm

If I can speak for my own town in North America, I would say there is no chance today that Linux make it's way in the public place. Most computer technician to be hired doesn't offer services for Linux at all, only Windows and Mac. Also, if I take the public library, they've networks to set of Internet and printers. The librairy currently with some old HP computers with 512 MB RAM running XP. Technically they could force Linux Mint 17 Xfce on them but it may not be that comfortable... An LXDE desktop might be more lightwieght for such a computer.

So, my understanding is that they'll stick with XP for at least a year after it is not supported. Maybe after they'll upgrade to computers with at least 1GB RAM and put windows 7 on them.
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MartyMint on Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:28 pm

Tar_Ni wrote:I would say there is no chance today that Linux make it's way in the public place. Most computer technician to be hired doesn't offer services for Linux at all, only Windows and Mac.

Oh really?

Because this little guy might beg to differ:

MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Tar_Ni on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:09 pm

And so is Chrome OS in the Chromebooks who become more and more popular for cloud computing. But how many people actually know it's based on Linux?

I think it is fair to say that Windows and Mac dominates the desktop and laptop environment. Anyway, in order for Linux to make it's way, in say the public librairy, the administration board as to be in favor of it. Most people doesn't know much about Linux yet. Somebody as to make a case for it. Many a computer technicians won't offer services for Linux because there is no guarantee certain distros will work properly in certain systems. I guess they enjoy it for their own use at home. :lol:
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby MartyMint on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Tar_Ni wrote:But how many people actually know it's based on Linux?
Most people doesn't know much about Linux yet.

The majority of computer users don't care about kernel level development...whatever...
They just want a system that works with support for the majority of devices on the market.

It doesn't matter that they don't know that Android is Linux based. They care that when they access their device, it provides the functionality they seek.
MartyMint
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Previous

Return to Chat about Linux Mint