Why Linux Mint is the best distro I've seen.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Why Linux Mint is the best distro I've seen.

Postby Tar_Ni on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi,

For weeks I've looked for a Linux distro suitable for my aging 1GB RAM 80 gig HDD, pentium 4 1.8 GHZ proc desktop computer. I mostly do things on the cloud with it. I've tried various flavor of LXDE such as Lubuntu, Perppermint OS, LXLE, Fedora, Zorin OS Lite and encountered keyboard and sound issues in all of these. Couldn't fix it and was tired of wasting my time.. Couln't install linux puppy as my main OS as I am not really good at computer and partitionning stuffs is not really my thing. Anyway I felt my desktop computer could handle a bit more than Puppy.

Tried Ubuntu 12.04 and it was OK, everything worked but it is as much heavy as Windows 7 and my computer can't really handle very well the bells and whistles of it.
Xunbuntu 13.10 worked as well despite some annoying bugs and I may have stick with it if not for my discovery of Mint

Goiing on the distrowatch I saw Linux Mint on top of the standings. I decided to see what it was that make it so pouplar (above the Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora!). Choose to install Mint 16 Xfce (since after some researches and my experiences with Xubuntu, Xfce seems reasonable to me on lower-end hardware)

Wow. Linux Mint 16 Xfce is buttery smooth! Everything worked just fine, my keyboard layouts, the sound. EVERYTHING!. Now I understand why Linux Mint is the best Linux distro available to the public. The installation is trouble-free and out of the box. I desinstalled the softwares I didn't need such as Libreoffice, Thunderbird and a few other. All is there ready to work. That's a beauty!

To all developpers and the community of Linux Mint, keep your good work and please do not let older hardwares behind!!
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why Linux Mint is the best distro I've seen.

Postby mrwislr on Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:31 pm

Sounds like you were having more of a problem with LXDE opposed to XFCE rather than one distro being better than the other.
mrwislr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby austin.texas on Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:24 pm

It is great that you found one that worked for you on that machine.
Besides XFCE, Linux Mint MATE is fairly lightweight. Did you try that?
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Tar_Ni on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:32 pm

I couldn't get the sounds or the keyboard layouts to work properly on any OS with LXDE. But my computer has older hardwares and isn't what LXDE is for?

Anyway, XFCE seems to offer reasonable perfomance so far. But I do not know about MATE, is it really lighweight and fitting for a 1GB, 1,8 Intel pentium 4 proc? Couldn't find much information about that.
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JohnBobSmith on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:45 pm

I have an aging pentium 4 processor with 2gb of ram myself. I can say the Mint XFCE is very lightweight. I boot in under 15 seconds with XFCE, while windows 7 took at LEAST 30-45+. I can also say that when in use, XFCE runs very fast, very smooth, and trouble free! I'm not familliar with MATE, though I believe that XFCE is the lighter-weight distribution of the two. If you like XFCE, and it works for you, you have real reason to switch to MATE. I use what works, and what works well. I don't mind experimenting, but overall I found that XFCE for my old computer and Cinnamon for my newer laptop work flawlessly, with some minor tweaks.

I agree that Mint is the best distro of Linux out there. From a desktop user's standpoint, Mint comes with useful software, as opposed to 10+ GB of bloat. Mint runs faster than any Windoze i've ever used. Mint is is the most "user-friendly" in that it is easy to use, naviagate, and do work on. I love that Mint's LibreOffice suite is compatible with Microsoft Office. I also love that if you dual boot systems (like me) Mint can acess the files on the Windoze partition. The list goes on, but I think you get the point. :wink:

So yeah, I am loving my Linux journey. I hope you enjoy yours too! :D
Running on ancient hardware and a mediocre laptop.
JohnBobSmith
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Tar_Ni on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:19 am

Great post JohnBobSmith.

Xfce is a lightweight desktop environment for UNIX-like operating systems. It aims to be fast and low on system resources, while still being visually appealing and user friendly.

From http://www.xfce.org/

Yep it seems that Xfce is meant to be that way. I couldn't get any information that MATE particularly aims to be lightweight however. I very much agree that Linux Mint 16 Xfce is very smoot and boot quite fast even in my 1GB, 1.8 proc (about 25 sec)

I had one problem the other day though it must be said. My computer was on screensaver for pretty much the afternoon and when I came back to it all was frozen. I couldn't do anything. I had to manually reboot. Later other bugs happened when the screensaver was on. All was buggy, firefox, the Power option ect. I managed to exit the session and go back to it.

It didn't happen again. No such occurances was previously experienced with this computer. Maybe such things will be fixed in later updates or in the LTS upgrade.
Tar_Ni
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Linee on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:55 pm

JohnBobSmith wrote:I have an aging pentium 4 processor with 2gb of ram myself. I can say the Mint XFCE is very lightweight. I boot in under 15 seconds with XFCE, while windows 7 took at LEAST 30-45+. I can also say that when in use, XFCE runs very fast, very smooth, and trouble free! I'm not familliar with MATE, though I believe that XFCE is the lighter-weight distribution of the two. If you like XFCE, and it works for you, you have real reason to switch to MATE. I use what works, and what works well. I don't mind experimenting, but overall I found that XFCE for my old computer and Cinnamon for my newer laptop work flawlessly, with some minor tweaks.

I agree that Mint is the best distro of Linux out there. From a desktop user's standpoint, Mint comes with useful software, as opposed to 10+ GB of bloat. Mint runs faster than any Windoze i've ever used. Mint is is the most "user-friendly" in that it is easy to use, naviagate, and do work on. I love that Mint's LibreOffice suite is compatible with Microsoft Office. I also love that if you dual boot systems (like me) Mint can acess the files on the Windoze partition. The list goes on, but I think you get the point. :wink:

So yeah, I am loving my Linux journey. I hope you enjoy yours too! :D

My thoughts exactly! That Mint (and every distro I've used so far) can access files on the Windows partition is simply wonderful. Really, Linux does things that Windows just can't.
Linee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint