Well, I'm a bit confused..

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
trondjac
Level 1
Level 1

Well, I'm a bit confused..

Post by trondjac »

Hello mint people.

I've been using mint for a year now. But still a newbie here... I'm thinking about the different editions.
You have the gnome edition which I use, and the KDE edition, you even Fluxbox and the XFCE edition. What is the different things about these editions?

1. Can I use the same programs as I use under gnome?
2. Is it as easy to install as Linuxmint gome?
3. Is there any negative things with the other editions compared to gnome?

As you can see form my questions, I dont know much about the linux universe (yet), I hope you can enlighten me :D

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Well, I'm a bit confused..

Post by Fred »

trondjac,

In Linux there are several... many desktop environments to choose from. None are necessarily better than the others. It is a matter of personal preference as to which you use. KDE and Gnome are the two most popular and are full featured desktops. They also have the largest foot print and memory requirements. Fluxbox and XFCE don't require as much space or resources and are generally faster on comparable equipment. Though they don't have the features that KDE and Gnome do. They take a more minimalist approach and are better for older, low resource equipment.

Mint's main focus has been the Gnome desktop. Probably because that is what Clem, the lead developer, prefers and knows best. Mint also has recently put more effort into the community editions, especially the KDE version that Boo has done such a great job on. The others are coming along nicely too.

Hopefully that has enlightened you a little bit anyway. :-)

Fred
trondjac
Level 1
Level 1

Post by trondjac »

Hi Fred,

Thanks for the feedback, you surly enlightend me :)
So, since I'm not on a low end system (thats what I think...) I should stay with gnome then.

I might try them out.. Do they come in live-cds... hmm, must find out ! Thanks again Fred!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

Hey Fred, Nice to see you around. I haven't seen you lately and was wondering how you were doing?

:D
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”