What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TwitchyCake

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by TwitchyCake »

My Inspirons 530's hard drive failed suddenly with windows vista and all my stuff on it. I didn't bother doing fancy stuff to recover it, as I dont have much important stuff on their. My mom had a 1 TB Hard Drive laying around so I replaced the hard drives and needed a easy to navigate free OS, I am also coding and such so the terminal will be so useful
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

MartyMint wrote: It's technically a "beta". That's what this release is for...testing.
I don't have a problem with Microsoft or anyone else collecting application data in a testing release.

Now if they do this in a RTM or final release product...they need a cigarette and a blindfold.
:x
I don't think anything will change with the final release. Some of the items in that screenshot have nothing whatsoever to do with beta testing. Things like "...use page prediction to preload pages, which sends your browsing history to Microsoft" and "Let Windows and apps use your name, account picture, and advertising ID...". :shock: These are permanent characteristics of the OS. They're not going away.

Bring out the cigarette and blindfold...
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Here's what the new "Start" Menu looks like...I like it TONS better than Win8, but not as much as Win7...so I guess that's a win lmao. I use Windows everyday at work :?
Win10_Preview.jpg
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

MartyMint wrote: It's technically a "beta". That's what this release is for...testing.
I don't have a problem with Microsoft or anyone else collecting application data in a testing release.

Now if they do this in a RTM or final release product...they need a cigarette and a blindfold.
:x
What does collecting browser history have anything to do with building an OS? They just want to know all about you, Google does, Facebook does it, MS wants it too.
I also installed the copy of 10 in a VM but I wonder if I ever start it again. Immediately after the long installation process where you look at black screens like for ever, without any form of information, I deleted all the tiles in the start menu. That made it better, but still the menu looks like the W8 distro: terrible.
I did not go for the automatic setup and unticked all I could untick, so no problems there, as far as I know.
The Bing website forcaster can not be switched off completely, even in the off position it predicts where I want to go. Nasty habit.

No, no more Windows for me. I stopped using it in 2010 when I changed my dual boot between XP and Jaunty into a single Linux setup.
Started with Hardy Heron, then Jaunty Jackalope, I even tried the "L" version (forgot the name though) but things were going to change: min-max-close buttons moved to the wrong side of the screen, you could feel more was coming.
When Unity came I left. I started with Mint and also moved from Gnome to KDE, a DE I have used ever since. Once you have KDE you never want something else, it looks so good, works fast, is very configurable, it is perfect.
As said I installed W10 in Virtualbox but no, I am convinced: no more Windows, never again.
Maik

Post by Maik »

"What made you switch to Linux Mint?"

Money, or lack of. Quite happy using XP, no stability of security problems and it (still) does what I want to do on a PC. Got tired of all the media hype for the latest and greatest (ROFL) versions of Windows.

According to the experts, XP EOL meant it was going to be a major target for malware so, well before the event, I tried some Linux distros on my partner's PC. I'd heard Linux was only for rocket scientists and I figured if she could use it, anyone could. No disrespect for her but she's what I'd call a very average PC user: surfing the net, email, a few letters for snail mail.

She took to Linux like a duck to ballet. No, to be honest, if I'd told her Linux was the name of the latest Windows version she wouldn't have been any the wiser and it was probably easier for her than finding her way around a newer version of Windows.

I (briefly) tried several other distros, chose Mint for her desktop as it just worked 'out of the box'.

Why do I stay with Mint?

I'm still finding may way around Linux / Mint and there's a few things I find slightly frustrating: no really easy way to format a flash drive (so far as I can find), a backup tool that's a bit hit-and-miss and no € symbol by default all spring quickly to mind. IMO, there are other distros that look more modern and pleasing to the eye, e.g. Thunderbird in Mint reminds me of something from the '70s. However, Mint has been very problem-free, isn't pushy and I get the impression it will be maintained / developed for the forseeable future. IMO, there's no better value for money.

Two very pleased users.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

Maik wrote:I'm still finding may way around Linux / Mint and there's a few things I find slightly frustrating: no really easy way to format a flash drive (so far as I can find),...
Try the disks tool if you are on Mint 17.. it works really well!
Maik

Post by Maik »

ClutchDisc wrote:Try the disks tool if you are on Mint 17.. it works really well!
Thanks, found and tried that (several times / options), doesn't work for me.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

http://tstarling.com/stuff/ComposeKeys.html
no € symbol by default all spring quickly to mind.
There's key mapping in Mint. check the advanced part of keyboard preferences under layout.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
Maik

Post by Maik »

Spearmint2 wrote:http://tstarling.com/stuff/ComposeKeys.html

There's key mapping in Mint. check the advanced part of keyboard preferences under layout.
Thanks for the link, now that does look like rocket science (to me)! I added the € symbol to the 4 key via Keyboard layouts > Options > Adding currency signs to certain keys > Key to chose third level.

But as the euro is one of the world's major currencies I'm surprised it's a matter of find out how to enable it. Mind you, I think the same about the firewall being off by default.
H.Remedy

Post by H.Remedy »

Maik wrote:...no really easy way to format a flash drive...
Besides the "Disks" tool someone mentioned, there is also "USB Stick Formatter". I'm not sure if this is in all Linux Mint 17 desktops or if it's specific to Xfce. But take a look for it.
bromanbro

Post by bromanbro »

Tried Ubuntu several times, hated the UI. At one point the Cinnamon desktop app didn't work on the latest Ubuntu version, forcing the default DE to re reinstalled via Terminal. So came to Mint Cinnamon :)

I like the classic Windows UI, so I have no problem with a Linux distro using that style.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Maik wrote:"What made you switch to Linux Mint?"

no € symbol by default
When I install Mint, or whichever other distro, I always chose the Standard US keyboard with the € on the 5.
This way press and hold the right Alt key, type the 5 on top of the keyboard (not on the numerical part of it) and releasing both keys gives me the €.
For the rest it is a standard keyboard so no surprises there.
mattfaria12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mattfaria12 »

I switched for a few reasons;

1) I dont have money for windows and when i found out Linux was free i decided to check Linux out
2) working with Linux in college got me very interested; as a programmer Linux seems more of a better OS
springvanillarose
Level 1
Level 1

Post by springvanillarose »

I am a recent convert from Windows and Mac. Here are my reasons for switching to Linux (Linux Mint - Cinnamon to be specific):
1) I was building a custom rig (made in June 2014). It was easier to go with Linux than to build a Hackintosh. Windows 7 was expensive and too old. Windows 8 bombed. I had nothing to lose since Linux was free.
2) Apple and Microsoft are restrictive.
3) Microsoft is becoming increasingly invasive.
4) Compatibility on Linux is improving.
5) Linux Mint won me over Ubuntu after a lot of researching. When I read that Ubuntu had lost its way, I chose Mint.
Shunjoss

Post by Shunjoss »

EmpireITtech wrote:
Win10_Preview.jpg
Rainmeter is a cool app :p I used to use it when i was only with win7 but now as i have a dualboot with mint17. I dont go on windows often (only if i'm must xD).
Pokki was cool too when win 8 came out.
shawn.leftwich

Post by shawn.leftwich »

I have used other distro's in the past mainly for school related reasons. Then for some reason I started looking into Linux more after I graduated from college. I found that Mint is a very popular distro and decided to give it a try. I still have Windows 7 for the dual boot option but since I have installed Mint I haven't been on Windows 7 at all.

I love the options and what feels like freedom (and no price!). I have been using steam to play some of the games that I had on the windows side and will probably look more into some of the work around for other PC games. (wine....).
gcclinux

What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by gcclinux »

I have been using Linux and Linux only for about 15 years and the last 3 on Ubuntu but I recently installed a VM with Mint and must say I love the cinnamon desktop environment and may conceder moving over from ubuntu because of the cinnamon desktop environment which I like much more than new gnome, kde and Unity.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forum Fiend v1.2.11.
hrturner

Post by hrturner »

Had been using Ubuntu, LMDE, and Debian for a while. When Ubuntu went to unity, it wasn't a particularly wanted change on my system so decided to give LM a whirl and absolutely loved the cinnamon interface. Have been hooked ever since!
ruby.object

Post by ruby.object »

Ubuntu
doob9911

Post by doob9911 »

Font rendering system.
It is really awesome.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”