What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Re: What made you switch to Linux Mint?

Post by MartyMint »

haunsdoger wrote:How can a proprietary software be trusted in this day and age? Open Source is the way to go and Linux Mint makes it easy and get this.....fun.

There's plenty of proprietary software for Linux and Mint makes it easier than many distros to apply proprietary drivers/software.
arunarmstrong

Post by arunarmstrong »

its free. and awesome. :D
mschma
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mschma »

I switch to Mint cause of Mate, best dam GUI on this Earth and all other ones in different dimensions. Mate is just the most productive using a proven paradigm. Others can say what they like about user interfaces Mate is da shiznit.
Thank you guys at Linux Mint for forking Gnome 2. Cinnamon is nice also, a distance second. Gnome 3, I have use every incarnation, I still don't get it. Eye candy is nice but the GUI has to be a least useful.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

I moved to Linux when I started playing around with Raspberry Pi's and Media Streamers. I saw the fun and power of Open Source and haven't looked back since :mrgreen:
I moved to Mint basically from the beginning of using Linux on desktop/laptop hardware. I installed LM13 (the newest one out at the time) Cinnamon and fell in love with it almost immediately. Linux Mint was my first true love in the Linux world hahaha :lol:
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

In mid-2010 I decided to try Linux after several viruses basically destroyed my Win XP machine. I got so fed up with M$ products and their restrictions, adware, spyware, etc., not to mention the monetary costs, that I jumped right into the Linux ocean. Mint was my first full-time distro, and I've had a wonderful relationship with it ever since. I have not touched a M$ product for my personal use since late 2010.
tek_heretik

Post by tek_heretik »

linux-dummie wrote:In mid-2010 I decided to try Linux after several viruses basically destroyed my Win XP machine. I got so fed up with M$ products and their restrictions, adware, spyware, etc., not to mention the monetary costs, that I jumped right into the Linux ocean. Mint was my first full-time distro, and I've had a wonderful relationship with it ever since. I have not touched a M$ product for my personal use since late 2010.
Too bad I didn't know you back when your XP machine was infested, what I would do with 'customers'' machines was let their Windhose based virus apps identify and find them (of course their 'anti-virus', talk about a misnomer, lol, couldn't destroy them all) then boot with a live LINUX distro to shred or delete them, the little punks that write those got smart and made them undeletable from within Windhose, hence the 'search and destroy', lol. :wink: :mrgreen:

I too completely abandoned Windhose back in 2010, OEM XP Home was my last MS 'tax'. The TCO was ridiculous, in my case, spending time troubleshooting, fixing and maintenance, Linux is actually a bit boring, there is none of the drama and maintenance, lol. :lol:
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

^^ Heh heh! After I had just started with Linux and was still dual-booting XP, I happened to get another virus on my XP drive though I was hardly using it anymore. Well, I was reading a ton of everything about Linux and found out it could "search and destroy" Windos virii. I copied some directions and tried it (don't remember much except that I used Puppy and the little punk was hiding somewhere in the Documents & Settings folder). I literally burst out laughing when I suddenly came across this mysterious lone file just sitting there and acting innocent and seemingly looking up to see who had just turned on the lights! :lol: I knew the bugger hadn't been visible in XP, so I highlighted it, pushed Delete, and Voila! XP worked fine again. But I wasn't interested in continuing with it anymore after having just witnessed the incredible power of LInux for myself firsthand. Who'd've thought?
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Unity

I really liked Ubuntu 10.04, but they lost me when they went to Unity. I liked Mint because it had a traditional desktop. I tried using the traditional desktop Ubuntu provided in later additions for those who did not like the Unity display, but it did not seem right.
Ginsu543

Post by Ginsu543 »

I switched to Mint from Ubuntu for exactly the same reason as borgward. Ubuntu was my distro of choice (I got into Linux in the first place with Ubuntu) for several years, but their move to Unity drove me away. Mint was the logical transition as it was based on Ubuntu but still preserved the traditional desktop. I also really appreciated the community approach Clem and the Mint developers have taken.

Since then, Mint has steadily proven to be an even better distro than Ubuntu ever was. It has gotten better and better; without exaggeration, Mint 17 Cinnamon is the best Linux OS I have ever used.
niowluka

Post by niowluka »

For many years I had been using Slackware, which till this day is my favourite distro. But as I got older I grew a bit tired of doing everything 'by hand' and was looking for something with more automation. I tried Arch a couple of years ago. Never liked it, but couldn't get round to changing it.

About a month ago I was visiting my mom who had WinXP installed. It was in a really bad state and since MS stopped supporting it, I decided to replace it with Linux. I wanted a trouble free distro, something that would work 'out of the box' and Mint seemed like a good choice so I gave it a go. I liked it so much, that as soon as I got back home I installed it on my own PC :)

Exactly what I was looking for. Quick and easy install, although personnally I would have liked to see some more advanced options. Works out of the box without major issues, only one or two niggly bits. It's quite light as well, I was worried I would have to upgrade my 4G RAM, but its perfectly sufficient. Looks nice, feels right, very very happy indeed, I think I'll stick with this one for a while :)
orion2014
Level 1
Level 1

Post by orion2014 »

I was using Ubuntu until they switched to Unity, then I started looking for another distro. I pretty much tried them all. Tried Mint on a virtual machine, and found what i've always been looking for in a OS. I install from usb, and was having a problem with installing Mint 16 from usb, and kept getting error message about cd something, so I left Mint alone. I tried to deal with Ubuntu's Unity, but just too many bugs, and spent my time fixing them, only to get hit with another one. On DistroWatch, Mint was listed 1st or 2nd on the list, so I decided to give it another try, but this time used a cd, and Wallha. It's been a wrap ever since. I was still going back and forth between Windows and Mint, but I would spend a month on my Mint box, and then I would change to my Windows HDD, and it would spend 2 hours updating, and that just pissed me of, could'nt get any work done. So, I decided to find all the applications that I needed, even if I had to compile, so I would never have to F with Windows again. I'm a help desk support tech, so I have to use Windows just to stay familiar. but that's where it ends. I also decided to make my Windows box function like Linux, and found Cygwin, if I posted a screenshot of my Windows box, you would think it was a Linux box. I was breed on Windows, but Linux made me start thinking outside the box and I actually started to learn some things, and totally control my environment, and choose the experience that I wanted in a OS. I had the first Android device the G1, it was a Development Edition, and I could make it do all these funky things hacking the hell out of it, and I wanted to be able to do that with my OS, so Android sparked my interest in Linux, it was just so much easier to hack and develop on Linux. Using Mint, I kinda feel like the world's missing out on such a great thing, and it's free. The latest and greatest used to make me salivate, being this tech guru and all, but I relized that the lastest and greatest don't work how it should, and you try at your own risk. So anywho, I upgraded to Mint 17, I was kinda upset that it wasn't a rolling release, but the upgrade went smooth, and of course I had a couple of handy backup's. Mint 16, had my laptop sounding like a jet engine, but Mint 17 has taken care of that and is running like a dream, I'm in love all over again. :roll: When work becomes steady for me, I'll start donating to my Mint community like I should, have to support the developers, that's just a modo that I live by. Keep up the great work, guys & gals.
Linux Mint 19.2
Cinnamon 4.2.4
4.15.0-60-generic
Intel Core i3-6100U CPU@ 2.30GHz x 2
Memory 8GB
SSD 250GB
Intel Corporation Skylake GT2 [HD Graphics 520]
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

orion2014 wrote: totally control my environment, and choose the experience that I wanted in a OS. I had the first Android device the G1, it was a Development Edition, and I could make it do all these funky things hacking the hell out of it, and I wanted to be able to do that with my OS, so Android sparked my interest in Linux, it was just so much easier to hack and develop on Linux.
I also have CyanogenMod on my phone. I was so happy to see that I could install the recovery using only Linux... 99% of the tutorial out here use Windows and Orin but no... Heimdall is enough :lol:
Beauty of Linux :)
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

I first started with Debian back in 2000 something.
Then after some times I switched to Ubuntu as the desktop and the launchpad thing was really something interesting to use. Actually it's one of the most smart thing ever invented.
Still I wasn't happy with the choice canonical took with unity.
Luckily for me, it's almost at the same time that the mint team provided a very nice looking cinnamon. In other words there has been quite some reasons but in the end I feel like linux mint has grabbed every best features of my old distros plus some huge improvements.
I have LM Running on all these computers
kf6eml

Post by kf6eml »

I had a windows vista home basic box, in which I installed an SSD. It ran much faster than it had with a spinning drive, so great!
Then I found a windows 7 laptop in the trash (had a bad driver - once that was fixed, it "worked," as well as windows 7 ever "works.")
I hate windows 7 even more than I hate vista, so I figured, "what the hell?" and decided to install Linux.

I had used openSUSE in the past, on an older machine, but I found it slow and unreliable. When I tried it on this one, I never could get it to use the internal wireless card.
I tried puppy linux, and found that it worked okay, but it felt more like a toy than a serious system. (I do use puppy on an ancient thinkpad, but that's about all that machine can handle, anyway, and it's better than the stock windows ME that was on it.)
I tried Ubuntu, but I hate unity. I had great difficulty installing Fedora, and it felt like it was written for school children. Not nearly as configurable as Mint.
I tried Arch, Debian, antiX, Slackware, and a number of others, but none of them were what I wanted.
I had tried Mint in the past, but I'd had so many problems with it on my old machine that it took a while for me to get back to trying it.
Well, I got the newest distro, Olivia, and tried it on this discarded laptop... WOW what a difference! It installed almost automatically, and everything "Just Worked" right out of the box. Even the things that I never could get openSUSE to find, much less configure.
After playing around with it (and breaking the system a couple times :roll: ) I found it to be the most user-friendly and configurable system I have EVER used, and I used to be heavily into tweaking windows. (Up until about XP, it did pretty much everything I wanted it to do, the way I wanted it to do it.)
Pretty soon, this became my primary system, and when I compared it to my vista machine, it was faster in nearly every way. (I still have to use windows because the army is in love with microsoft, and our email server requires internet explorer.)
Since it was so much faster, I used it to clone the vista SSD onto a regular drive, and after that was working in the vista box (which now runs about as fast as an arthritic tortoise) I stuck the SSD into this one and installed Qiana.

HO - LEE - COW, is it FAST!

Power button to browsing the internet in about 15 seconds, and shutdown is less than 2. (And never makes me wait while it installs things.) Programs are open almost as soon as my finger comes off the mouse button.

I just had to use my windows box this morning, for army stuff, and it was excruciating. First, updated the anti-virus, which took about 10 minutes, because I haven't used it in weeks, then had to update windows, which failed. Then had to fix that problem. Then the update, which required no fewer than three restarts. An hour later, I started it up and timed it: four minutes from power button to browser. I did my thing, which went about as fast as the Linux box, once everything was open, and shut down. It is still installing yet ANOTHER update, five minutes after I clicked "shut down." (Well, when I started writing this post. It finally turned off. When I turned it on again, it "configured" for over a minute before going into its regular startup sequence. Total startup time: 6 minutes.)
I do have a couple of VirtualBox windows installations, and they run under Linux almost as fast as the vista box, but they have no anti-virus or other software. Just IE, and I only ever use them to get email and run the occasional program from an army disc. (I usually delete the virtual machine after use, in case it has somehow managed to pick up a virus, and get a new copy from my external drive. Faster and easier than all the endless updating.)

As long as mint doesn't do something stupid (like going to unity and not even offering an easy alternative) I'm going to be using it for a long time to come.
Thanks, guys, and keep up the good work!
xargs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by xargs »

I started out with RedHat 6/7/8/9 back in the '90s, and when RedHat was no longer free, I moved to OpenSuSE, since I wanted to stay with the familiarity of an RPM- and KDE-based system. I got tired of the hassle and risk of having to upgrade every 18 months, so I searched for something with a longer support cycle. Linux Mint looked appealing in many ways, but I was concerned about having to move to a new package system. So I installed LM in a VM on my OpenSuSE box and played with it for a few weeks. I was quickly impressed with how easy some things had become (like installing Skype or Dropbox), and I was very happy not to have to deal with the horror of systemd anymore.

So I did a "real" installation this weekend and everything went well. Installing new packages was easy, installing the Nvidia driver was easy, and all of my ancient binary-only 32-bit software packages worked perfectly on my 64-bit install. I'll definitely be spreading the word.
rliegh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rliegh »

I'm using Linux Mint 17/x86 on my 2011 imac. This is my second try with Mint and with 17 it finally took. I switched from Debian because some of the software (mono) was too old for my needs, I was looking at Ubuntu 14.04 because I wanted an LTS but I don't like their desktop and I don't want to worry about privacy issues. I set it up in a VM and I was impressed that I didn't need to install additions, I was able to play with it out of the box. So far I've been very impressed -particularly with the open source ATI driver which is able to do 9/10ths of what I want it to do, enabled right out of the gate. I've been using some sort of linux/unix since 98 and at this point I want to do as little configuring as I can get away with ...so Mint makes me very happy.
JohnBobSmith

Post by JohnBobSmith »

The devil (Windows) made me switch to Linux. I switched to Linux for a lot of reasons, though. Here are some reasons as to why Windows is bad:

-Hate of Windows 8 (they put the can inside the garbage bag, instead of the garbage bag inside the can with Windows eight)
-proprietary software that breaks and can't be fixed
-Constant reboots and "security" updates
-Crapware, adware, malware, junkware, Th3FY0uVirus.exe (the F you virus.exe, or viruses)... the list of crap goes on, but Windows is *PLAGUED* with viruses/malware.
-Lack of good update manager. I hate installing updates from 99999999 different sources, some of which are probably untrusted, and then to only have the program segmentation fault or memory leak and crash the entire system.
-Constant disk fragmentation. I mean come on, the FAT32 and NTFS Filesystem? Why?
-Did I mention reboots or viruses?
-Wasting resources with background processes. This really pisses me off. Windows has HUNDREDS of background processes that eat up RAM and CPU and disk (99% disk usage in Windows eight). Linux has maybe 5 background processes that are *required* to run the system.
-And did I mention reboots or viruses?

I won't rant on how bad Windows is though. But, in a nutshell, my hate of Windows made me switch to Linux. I desire freedom, and boy, have I found freedom! So cheers to the Linux developer team. Congrats on making a very succesfull distribution of Linux! :D
var
Level 3
Level 3

Post by var »

1. I got bored with spending hours compiling packages with Slackware (my previous distro of choice). Not to mention poor Steam, Skype etc support, what used to be fun for me, was turning into a chore (maybe I am getting old).

2. Other distro's had poor compatibility with 'fn' (function keys). On some my brightness wouldn't work, others my Volume, others still my Wifi. I tried Ubuntu but hate the left menu bar.

3. I despised the 'gnome-fallback', it still did not feel the same as it used to.

So I tried Mint 17 MATE :), perfect.
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

Vista! I deleted that crap and asked for a refund. MS said I couldn't get a refund because EULA only allows refund if the software package is unopened.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

I was dissatisfied soon as XP was released, and stayed with W2K for a long time anyway. XP brought "Activation" then the second Microsoft self inflicted virus called "Genuine Advantage" and suddenly all users were put on the same level as the thieves. It felt insulting. It also caused problems, lockouts at the oddest times, no warning, just boot once after some small change and "Give us a call". I didn't like the cartoon look of XP, but running the Classic menu and some other changes helped get the cartoon look off it. Vista came along, I tried it, removed it, went back to XP and started looking toward Linux. Loaded VPC2007 and checked out Linux versions that could be loaded under that and then installed Virtual Box later to check versions that failed in VPC. Realized Linux had all I wanted in a system without all the added overhead of large antivirus program, nor tripping over activation/genuine events. Eventually decided on Kunbuntu, but found myself using Mint more often. I've kept them both on one computer and have XP for sometimes on another. Put w7 on wife's computer, but have no desire to put on my windows box. Gave away my Vista retail version.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”