New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Postby tommyr on Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 pm

I just learned about Mint Saturday and downloaded it and I'm running it on a 1.83 Macbook and it works GREAT! I LOVE this distro! Even movie files play right off the bat! This will replace Ubuntu for me I think which sometimes has issues on this Macbook. I can't say enough about Mint, GREAT job and kudos to all involved!

Tom
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby carlos on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:11 pm

Welcome tommyr, good to see another east coaster, from NJ here.
____________ ________ ______ ____ ___ __ __ _
http://www.designdrifter.com
The Purpose of Life is for DNA to reproduce.
carlos
Level 5
Level 5

Postby tommyr on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanks. I've been messing around with Linux for about 2-3 years. Started with Suse 8 on a Dell D300 actually. Ran pretty darn well. I ditched Windows about 7 years ago, I couldn't take it any more. Now I use Macs and Linux.

Tom
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Postby npap on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Welcome tommyr ,

Haven't you heard? If Mint gets to be too popular somebody may wipe it off our PC :lol:
Have you heard about the killall command? :)
Greetings to NJ.
Npap

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Re: New to Mint and LOVE IT!

Postby tommyr on Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:50 pm

npap wrote:Welcome tommyr ,

Haven't you heard? If Mint gets to be too popular somebody may wipe it off our PC :lol:
Have you heard about the killall command? :)
Greetings to NJ.
Npap

Yeah I know killall, never used it. I'm no Linux expert by any means....yet.
Usually I just kill a specific PID that pisses me off!

Tom
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby faj3r on Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:35 am

Hi everyone :)
yesterday I tried Mint 2.2 live and it's great!
I'll install it next week.
Good job! Thanks a lot :)
faj3r
Level 1
Level 1

WELCOME POLAND

Postby npap on Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Welcome aboard faj3r ,
Nice to have somebody from Poland here. :)
Greetings, Npap

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Olu on Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:59 am

I installed Bianca yesterday and after a week of trying to get Fedora Core [from 4 to the new 7 Live CD test2], Ubuntu [from 5.10 to 6.10], and openSuSE [10.1 and 10.2] to install on my PC and recognize ALL of my hardware and peripherals... the Bianca install was effortless and functioned 100% right out of the box. The only change I had to make was to switch my sound device from my Plantronics headset to my speakers.

I'm running a dual boot with XP [until I can get as proficient in GIMP as I am in Photoshop].
I can run SWiSHMax via wine from my NFTS, and I have two windows astrology programs [Goravani Jyotish and Jagannatha Hora] installed in Mint via wine. All programs run with no problem.

This distro is hands down the best Linux distribution I have tried, with Pardus and Ubuntu tied for second, but about three lengths behind :wink:

Thanks for all of your work Clem, and to the entire Linux Mint community!!!
Olu
Level 1
Level 1

Postby npap on Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:58 am

Welcome aboard Olu,
Nice to have you in the Mint addict group. :)

Plato
npap
Level 6
Level 6

Postby facade47 on Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:37 pm

Hey everyone!
Hehe my story with Linux is a long one =P
I decided about a year ago that I would try out Linux, but I had no idea there were so many distributions of it.... I read on a blog that this guy installed something called Ubuntu on his computer, so I decided to start there. When I burned and booted the live cd (this was about a month before Edgy came out), the screen resolution was atrocious.. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I gave up.
A long time later, in November (actually on Black Friday.. it was horrible!), I got a new laptop with Windows XP <--see the face of frustration? =P But I was still excited!
Unfortunately, my hatred for Windows went through the roof... I wasn't about to pay for antivirus software, and I've never liked the way it looked. I hate ugly computers! :twisted:
I tried out Ubutntu one more time; this time everything worked (so it seemed), and I installed it.
I was still stupid though, and thought programs were installed exactly like they were in windows.. go out and search for a program and install the .exe file... So I downloaded the deb file for a program called LMMS. That's when I learned about dependencies. I went back and forth, downloading each complaint until I installed a fontconfig file -- Ubuntu didn't like that very much. It gave me an error that said my dependencies were broken. I couldn't install a single thing (I still hadn't learned about apt-get), so I wiped Ububtu from my system.
There was a whole ordeal with the grub boot manager and me having to boot windows from a morphix live cd, but i won't go into all that =P
After all the craziness, I got on my grandmothers uber-fast computer and went distro crazy !! I downloaded/burned about 12 live cds, one of which I found by accident.. Linux Mint "Bea". I read through the philosophy and agreed with it, and I was very happy that it was upgraded more often than Ubuntu. And to my luck, they came out with Bea just two weeks before! I eagerly installed it and was thrilled that it could install LMMS and all dependencies without anything breaking :D So I stuck with it!
I'm so thrilled with the direction this distro is going! The community here is so nice :) Keep up the good work!! :D
facade47
Level 3
Level 3

Postby tommyr on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:00 pm

facade47 wrote:Hey everyone!
I'm so thrilled with the direction this distro is going! The community here is so nice :) Keep up the good work!! :D

Yeah baby! Mint ROCKS!!! Welcome!!!!

Tom
tommyr
Level 1
Level 1

Postby will on Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:35 pm

Ooh. Thanks for the tip ^^ .. saw your mention of LMMS facade47, so I looked it up and I'm apt-get'ing it now :)
will
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mumbo719 on Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:19 am

facade47 wrote:Hey everyone!
Hehe my story with Linux is a long one =P
I decided about a year ago that I would try out Linux, but I had no idea there were so many distributions of it.... I read on a blog that this guy installed something called Ubuntu on his computer, so I decided to start there. When I burned and booted the live cd (this was about a month before Edgy came out), the screen resolution was atrocious.. I couldn't figure out how to fix it, so I gave up.
A long time later, in November (actually on Black Friday.. it was horrible!), I got a new laptop with Windows XP <--see the face of frustration? =P But I was still excited!
Unfortunately, my hatred for Windows went through the roof... I wasn't about to pay for antivirus software, and I've never liked the way it looked. I hate ugly computers! :twisted:
I tried out Ubutntu one more time; this time everything worked (so it seemed), and I installed it.
I was still stupid though, and thought programs were installed exactly like they were in windows.. go out and search for a program and install the .exe file... So I downloaded the deb file for a program called LMMS. That's when I learned about dependencies. I went back and forth, downloading each complaint until I installed a fontconfig file -- Ubuntu didn't like that very much. It gave me an error that said my dependencies were broken. I couldn't install a single thing (I still hadn't learned about apt-get), so I wiped Ububtu from my system.
There was a whole ordeal with the grub boot manager and me having to boot windows from a morphix live cd, but i won't go into all that =P
After all the craziness, I got on my grandmothers uber-fast computer and went distro crazy !! I downloaded/burned about 12 live cds, one of which I found by accident.. Linux Mint "Bea". I read through the philosophy and agreed with it, and I was very happy that it was upgraded more often than Ubuntu. And to my luck, they came out with Bea just two weeks before! I eagerly installed it and was thrilled that it could install LMMS and all dependencies without anything breaking :D So I stuck with it!

Sounds like my story including the fontconfig and uninstalling linux for a while. I still try other live cd's though, but I always come back to Mint.

Don't you love a Minty ending.
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint