Mint installation issues - some thougts

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Mint installation issues - some thougts

Postby salsadancer on Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:58 am

Hi,

I just moved from Ubuntu to Mint. And while it runs just fine once installed (good job!), I am a bit disappointed with the installation process.

The first issue is the missing installation options. Where did the non-graphical install go?
I have a new PC, that does not even start the X-Server upon booting the DVD.
Funny, because on one of the disks in this machine I have mint installed and it boots and runs just fine.
Of course the installation was done on a different mainboard/graphics adapter and just the disk was moved to this new box....
Do I need to install the new mint in Virtualbox with the second disk physically mapped as target drive?
Other than installing an old graphics card this seems the easiest option right now.

The second issue comes up once you are past this step. Where did all the install options go?
At least Ubuntu had an alternative install, where you could setup everything as you wished by hand (including custom fdisk partitioning).
If I want to encrypt my disk and then add lvm to it ... what do I do? Painful manual setup with another Linux flavour?
Never had this issue wih the last Ubuntu and Debian releases.
I need to be able to align my partitions with 2048 byte for the new disks and also have an encrypted swap device, typically done with a logical volume inside dmcrypt.
By the way, I noticed that the question for the encryption phrase is made before the keyboard language is set - depending on your pharse this works only for US-keyboards...

There are some other small issues like a stripped down version of gedit, non-working dual-screen with the proprietary drivers etc...
Would be nice if at least the installation issues could be fixed - other than that I am still happier with mint than with ubuntu or debian for the desktop.
salsadancer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint installation issues - some thougts

Postby xenopeek on Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:29 am

Welcome to Linux Mint :) While I'm more accustomed to reminding ex-Windows users that Linux Mint isn't Windows and doesn't strive to be, yes Linux Mint isn't Ubuntu either. I've moved this topic here as you seem to be giving feedback and not asking for support.

salsadancer wrote:Where did the non-graphical install go?

Linux Mint has always only had a graphical installer.

salsadancer wrote:I have a new PC, that does not even start the X-Server upon booting the DVD.

While that doesn't provide enough information to help you, does this topic help? viewtopic.php?f=46&t=122257

salsadancer wrote:Where did all the install options go?

Linux Mint has always had minimal choices in the installer, making it suitable also for users new to Linux and for non-technical users.

salsadancer wrote:If I want to encrypt my disk and then add lvm to it ... [...] I need to be able to align my partitions with 2048 byte for the new disks and also have an encrypted swap device, typically done with a logical volume inside dmcrypt.

I don't follow... On the installation type step of the installer you can select to use full disk encryption and it does all those things for you (LUKS+LVM). Partitions are aligned by default to 2048 sectors (1 MiB). Perhaps you used a very old version of Linux Mint? Try using the latest release instead.

salsadancer wrote:There are some other small issues like a stripped down version of gedit

Gedit is intentionally shipped as the old GNOME 2 version, given that the GNOME 3 version of Gedit is deemed to be less user friendly. You can install the GNOME 3 version of Gedit if you want. For Linux Mint 16 you would do that with these commands (replace "saucy" with the name of your Linux Mint version's Ubuntu package base):
Code: Select all
apt purge gedit gedit-common
apt install gedit/saucy gedit-common/saucy
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Chat about Linux Mint