Linux Mint 17 is huge!! A dream OS!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Brahim Salem

Linux Mint 17 is huge!! A dream OS!!

Post by Brahim Salem »

Today i read the roadmap of Linux Mint 17 and I'm shocked at the dev team plan. Below are what i like most about it:

look and feel
1-logout sound
2-bumpmaps
3-consider using bernard's theme
4-activate/discover hud and corner zones
5-startup animation (i hope they use fashion for this http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/ ... ent=163634)
6-mdm, upstart: Add a start condition on plymouth-ready, and drop conditions already handled by plymouth-splash (LP: #982889)? (I THINK THIS MEANS WE WON'T SEE A BLACK SCREEN AT THE END OF PLYMOUTH ANIMATION)
7-mint-x: MATE Panel transparency
8-mintmenu: panel applet transparency

Functionality:

1-mintdesktop: When Compiz is active with MATE, WM preferences have to go to Metacity gconf settings instead of Marco ones to work.

2-windows compatibility layer (i don't really know what this is!!!)

complete roadmap here https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap
RacerBG

Re: Linux Mint 17 is huge!! A dream OS!!

Post by RacerBG »

It will be! :)
Wine? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

RacerBG wrote:It will be! :)

I think they should include wine preconfigured for XP noobs :D
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Zorba wrote:
RacerBG wrote:It will be! :)

I think they should include wine preconfigured for XP noobs :D
Good start will be updated repository (version 1.4.1 is killing my eyes). The last year at this time (because I'm a Linux user from 3rd of March 2013) I used Wine for games, for programs, for common tasks...etc. Now the only reason why I use Wine are some Windows games! And this is thanks to the open source revolution the last year and my personal evolution after finding alternative Linux software.

Including Wine is not bad but we already have Zorin for that. ;) Most of the Linux users are not using it at all so the repos are the best place for Wine if you ask me. :)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

but why will they replace gimp with pinta? I installed pinta on Linux Miont 16 and after using it for a while i think it is very simple and it can't do what GIMP does :roll:
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Zorba wrote:but why will they replace gimp with pinta? I installed pinta on Linux Miont 16 and after using it for a while i think it is very simple and it can't do what GIMP does :roll:
Will they?

Pinta is something like a 2nd Paint.NET but for Linux. For my needs is very good but I must agree that GIMP have hell a lot more functions!
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Zorba wrote:but why will they replace gimp with pinta? I installed pinta on Linux Miont 16 and after using it for a while i think it is very simple and it can't do what GIMP does :roll:
Pinta is a better basic editor. The GIMP is more powerful but considerably more complicated and the GIMP's weird saving routine is very confusing even for experienced users.
One of the first applications I added to my wife's PC when I switched her to Linux was Pinta.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Gimp is good but very complex for the average user. :mrgreen:
Skara Brae

Post by Skara Brae »

Crewp wrote:Gimp is good but very complex for the average user. :mrgreen:
I have read that the GIMP devs make it so complex on purpose: they want to attract more "power users" (and get rid of the average user like myself).

GIMP - "Great Irritating Miserable Program" (no offense, GIMP developers...).

Pinta is great.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Post by InkKnife »

Skara Brae wrote:
I have read that the GIMP devs make it so complex on purpose: they want to attract more "power users" (and get rid of the average user like myself).

GIMP - "Great Irritating Miserable Program" (no offense, GIMP developers...).

Pinta is great.
The GIMP is an odd project. As near as I can figure the only users the GIMP devs care about are a very small group of game developers and they have no interest at all in photographers or DTP professionals.
It is a hell of a lot of effort put forth for a very tiny target user base.
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.
ClutchDisc

Post by ClutchDisc »

I would have to agree. I like some of the features of Gimp, but find myself using Pinta a lot more than Gimp!
Cmiller21

Post by Cmiller21 »

Because 17 is long term support version I plan on keeping it for as long as possible and not reinstalling every 6 months. Will I still be able to install latest versions of cinnamon, Firefox, and LibreOffice as they are released? I'd like to keep mint 17, but also want latest versions of my software.

If Mint was rolling release cycle, then it'd be the true dream OS for me. ;-) oh well.
antsunrise

Post by antsunrise »

Will we be able to change panel transparency now without going though cinnamon theme file to do so?ould be nice if it was a littl elike xfce style. Also being able to resize the menu would be great. like whisker :) Cinnamon mena always seemed a tad big
Brahim Salem

Linux Mint 17 will be the fastest and best OS ever out

Post by Brahim Salem »

After testing Cinnamon 2.2 nightly and Mate 1.8 on Ubuntu 14.04 for a while, I'm really surprised by the speed and reponsiveness of both desktops, and especially cinnamon. Linux Mint 17 will have both DE tweaked the minty way and I expect it to be a big deal in technology and IT :D :D

1- Mate 1.8:

2- Cinnamon 2.2:

karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Linux Mint 17 will be the fastest and best OS ever out

Post by karlchen »

Hm, I thought we had been told something to this effect already way back in March 2014 ... Linux Mint 17 is huge!! A dream OS!!
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 762 days now.
Lifeline
filliusnullius

Post by filliusnullius »

Wow. I think I've fall in love with MINT and the community. I wonder, is Mint 17 stable for graphic works? Please guys, convince me to dump Windows!
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

I guess I was right wasn't I :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

How could you be wrong, since you're creating these 'Dream OS' topics every days. For sure, yes, after a while you got a point. I'm sure in less than 6 months, you will create one for Linux 17.1. And in less than 2 years, we will have an other one for Linux Mint 18... :roll:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ow#p784562
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ow#p722866
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ow#p733344
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... ow#p700929

:roll:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”