Linux Community

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
TechGuyAndrew

Linux Community

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

Can someone on the Mint team clarify what all of the different ways for Mint users to interact with other users and developers are for (eg. their main purpose)?
I know that there is this forum, which I primarily use. However, on one of my posts an admin told me to post it on GitHub instead which I didn't really understand. I have become confused by all of the different ways of interaction. While I'm not complaining (this is actually great :D for Mint), some guidance would be helpful. I don't want to hinder the community in any way.

What I am aware of are:
1) This forum (forums.linuxmint.com) - This is what I primarily use
2) The Linux Mint Community (community.linuxmint.com) - I am unsure what this is for.
3) Linux Mint GitHub page
4) Linux Mint's launchpad page (launchpad.net/linuxmint) - I just found out about this.
5) The multiple IRC channels
6) Minor pages like the podcast, blog, etc.

Since I am just a highschool student I can't really donate to Mint yet, so I would like to learn about all of the other possible ways to help out.

Thanks,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Linux Community

Post by xenopeek »

1) The forums are primarily the place for getting support from/giving support to other Linux Mint users. The forums are also a place for socializing with other Linux Mint users and discussing things Linux Mint or Linux related with them.

2) The Community website is for sharing your ideas about Linux Mint and the Mint tools (not about desktop environments or other upstreams programs), your tutorials, your hardware reviews, and your software reviews. Ideas and tutorials can also be shared on the forums; use that which suits you best. Several active Linux Mint users can be found in both places, others only in the one or the other. Software reviews you can also do directly from Software Manager (those are added to the software reviews on the Community website).

3) GitHub is the developer community; for development of Linux Mint, the Mint tools, and specifically also for the development of Cinnamon and related programs. Ideas about Cinnamon and related programs should be posted there--as not all Cinnamon developers use Linux Mint and won't all visit the ideas section on the forums or Community website (as those are specific to Linux Mint).

4) Launchpad is primarily used for doing the translations of the Mint tools and Cinnamon. You can also report bugs on Launchpad, but unfortunately most users don't have a clue what a bug is and use it mostly as another channel for getting support.

5) #linuxmint-chat is family-friendly chat, #linuxmint-help is the support channel for the main edition, #linuxmint-debian is the support channel for LMDE, #pimpmymint is the no necessarily family-friendly chat (relaxed rules). As noted I believe in the channel topics. #linuxmint-dev is the channel for Linux Mint, Cinnamon, and contributing developers.

6) Mintcast is run by a group of Linux Mint users I believe; podcasts are not my thing so I'm not that familiar with it. The blog is the platform for project announcements from Clement Lefebvre (new releases, monthly update, etc.). Cinnamon has its own blog (http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?cat=1). Segfault is the developer blog (http://segfault.linuxmint.com/), with information for those interested in what is being worked on and also information for applet and theme developers and such.

Ways to help out with Linux Mint depend on your interests and current skills. Helping out other users with problems here on the forums on the IRC is a good place to start. I learned more about Linux Mint while doing that for a few months than I had learned just using Ubuntu for years before that.
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

Thank you so much. This helps me understand things a lot better.
xenopeek wrote:I learned more about Linux Mint while doing that for a few months than I had learned just using Ubuntu for years before that.
Yes, I have already learned a bit from the few users I have assisted over the past few months. I just feel bad that I don't know enough to help even more and that I seem to start more topics than I help on others.

One thing I forgot to mention is the Mint mailing list. Is that active? I signed up for it when I first started using Mint but I haven't seen any emails from it.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

There is no official Linux Mint mailing list, and I'm not familiar with any unofficial ones. Is it perhaps just a copy of the blogs? One most social networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) you'll find an unofficial Linux Mint entry that is just linking you to announcements on the blog.
Lingula

Post by Lingula »

Should xenopeek's first response be a sticky? This question comes up every few months.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Only for 1, 2 and 5 do I have a say, being an admin/mod/op. For the others that's just my interpretation and it doesn't cover everything I think.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xenopeek wrote: Ways to help out with Linux Mint depend on your interests and current skills. Helping out other users with problems here on the forums on the IRC is a good place to start. I learned more about Linux Mint while doing that for a few months than I had learned just using Ubuntu for years before that.
Being a tester for UP in LMDE is helping a lot. I learned so much by testing these UP. But of course it's risky and you may break your system... But it's helping the others to have a smoother upgrade process...
TechGuyAndrew

Post by TechGuyAndrew »

xenopeek wrote:There is no official Linux Mint mailing list, and I'm not familiar with any unofficial ones. Is it perhaps just a copy of the blogs? One most social networks (Twitter, Facebook, etc.) you'll find an unofficial Linux Mint entry that is just linking you to announcements on the blog.
I do not believe so. I cannot remember where I found it, but I believe it was on the linuxmint.com site. The email address was linuxmint@librelist.com . I never saw any announcements come through on it, but I would occassionally receive messages from other subscribers to it that were kind of pointless. I went ahead and unsubscribed from it. This might be something to look in to as far as legitimacy.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Who knew :) I certainly isn't active: http://librelist.com/browser/linuxmint/

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”