Linux Mint on the Job

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
hagensieker

Linux Mint on the Job

Post by hagensieker »

Here's a neat implementation of Linux Mint on the job (I think).

I'm a US Gov employee working at a military base in Japan. I work on the runway specifically on Visual Landing Aids and Arresting Gear. I found that with an RTL SDR dongle I can listen to runway frequencies which aids me in my job.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C37 ... UTF8&psc=1

I recently picked up a Dell Inspiron 1545 used for about $100. Put Linux Mint 13 LTS on it.

With the RTL SDR dongle I can tune in to Ground Control and hear our Marines and follow their movements on the runway. I'm using GQRX,and GNURadio to accomplish this. Best part is GQRX has Input/Output controls so I can pump the sound from work out of the laptop speakers while simultaneously stream from Pandora (Pithos) or Spotify through a USB DAC to a stereo we have in the office. Runway transmissions are infrequent and don't interfere too much with the music. Actually I should say they don't interfere at all but rather there are two outputs through two different devices. Just distracting is all.

I also was able to configure a smart card reader to use our CAC Cards with on the computer as well. Pretty versatile and I can't do this stuff on my government computers (CAC Card being the exception).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
The-Wizard

Re: Linux Mint on the Job

Post by The-Wizard »

Ah, but the question is.. Dose it perform better than the operating system supplied on the works computers?

wizard
hagensieker

Re: Linux Mint on the Job

Post by hagensieker »

The-Wizard wrote:Ah, but the question is.. Dose it perform better than the operating system supplied on the works computers?

wizard
I use this to supplement our work computers. The laptop w/docking station Uncle Sam supplies me is over 6 years old and as a matter of fact because it has Windows XP they kicked it off the network early this week and didn't replace it. So yes. It works better.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”