Got my parents hooked on Linux Mint :-)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skara Brae

Got my parents hooked on Linux Mint :-)

Post by Skara Brae »

Well, after having had Linux Mint myself for a couple of years now (after Canonical started with Gnome 3, sadly for me, but luckily for Mint), I got my parents hooked on Linux Mint :-)

Okay, seriously. My parents, both early 60s now, have an old Compaq "Evo D510". OEM, so not much tweaking to do with it; I once installed a little Radeon 6900se in it and stuffed the machine full with RAM, but that's it.

It has been running Windows XP quite well for many years, but since the Redmond Posse dumped XP, it was time for them to get something new on their old, loyal machine.

A few months ago, I had installed Debian xfce (Debian, not LMDE), but that didn't go quite so well (I take the blame for that), so back to XP it was.

As of today, my parents, who are just ordinary computer users, are now happily running Mint 13 xfce for two weeks, and I haven't heard any complaints (Yet? I hope and I expect not). It doesn't run superfast on that machine, but it runs nicely (enough).

So, I got my parents hooked on Mint. Is that cool, or what? :-P

Anyway, another piece of evidence that Linux (Mint) - or at least the using it - can take on any Windows version (let me not mention that Windows 8 abomination).

-oo-

To Clem & Team: you are all doing a won-der-ful job with Linux Mint (but you knew that already...). Do know that your work is worth it. Keep it going!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
InkKnife
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Got my parents hooked on Linux Mint :-)

Post by InkKnife »

Congrats.
I moved my wife off XP and onto Mint/Cinnamon a couple of months ago and she is perfectly happy with Mint and I am happy having XP out of my house! :)
i7 3770, 12GB of ram, 256GB SSD, 64GB SSD, 750GB HDD, 1TB HDD, Cinnamon.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”