I fired up Mint 17 mate 64bit last night and ....

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
coffee412
Level 8
Level 8

I fired up Mint 17 mate 64bit last night and ....

Post by coffee412 »

Very Nice Release!

Mint 17 certainly performs and I had no problems doing a fresh install and setting up a raid and windows shares. Its nice to see a flavor of linux that you dont have to monkey around with samba to get things going correctly. It worked right out of the box.

One other thing I noticed that I really liked - Im not sure when this happened but Im assuming this release - You dont have to specify the UUID of the raid in fstab anymore. You can actually use the friendlier /dev/md* .

Iam extremely impressed with LM17. Personally, This should really shame M$. Shows them what a real quality operating system is!

coffee :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen x1800 Asus Prime x370-Pro 32 gigs Ram RX480 graphics
Dell PE T610, Dell PE T710
- List your hardware Profile: inxi -Fxpmrz
MeshCentral * Virtualbox * Debian * InvoiceNinja * NextCloud * Linux since kernel 2.0.36
Windowbreaker

Re: I fired up Mint 17 mate 64bit last night and ....

Post by Windowbreaker »

I agree. I'd been holding on upgrading from Mint 13 until another LTS came out, so when Mint 17 was released I couldn't wait to install it. I admit that there were a few things about Mint 13 that I didn't like, that were awkward, or just plain didn't work as well as they should. I was extremely pleased when Mint 17 showed that all of those have been fixed. It's a very worthy upgrade, and definitely can run with Windows from ease-ofuse and ease-of-install to day by day usage. I haven't tested gaming yet, as this computer doesn't have a decent graphics card right now (my nice NVIDIA card croaked). The ONE thing that was not an improvement (but nonetheless was remedied easily) was that my 1600x900 monitor was defaulted to 640x480. Still, that little hiccup is not nearly enough to dim my joy at this new version. Kudos to Linux Mint devs for a simply GREAT job.
lexon

Post by lexon »

Good to know about 17.
I run a couple 64 bit laptops but have never tried the 64 bit versions. Never could be sure the 64 bit will run as good as the 32 bit.
I stick with defaut. Don't do command line.

L
Trapper
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Trapper »

I am quite happy with LM17 MATE 64-bit. I have it on an encrypted lvm2 drive. Actually it shares the drive with LM13 MATE and LM17 Cinnamon . Each has it's own / & home logical volume but share a data logical volume and swap. LM17 runs quite well. I am impressed so far. The team has done a great job.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”