I don't Like Linux Mint 17: Removing it !!!

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

I don't Like Linux Mint 17: Removing it !!!

Postby Zorba on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:05 pm

I'm really disappointed with Linux Mint 17, especially the Cinnamon edition and I think it needs a respin and, compared to it is base Ubuntu 14.04, it fall behind expectations:

1- Ubuntu 14.04 supports secure boot; Linux Mint 17 does not

2-It keeps hanginging at shutdown and restart especially on Windows 8 laptops; Ubuntu 14.04 works out-of-the-box

4- Some applications like FreetuxTV, Google Earth and wine applications keep quitting unexpectedly on the Cinnamon edition (they work fine on Mate though) ; same apps work out-of-the-box on Ubuntu 14.04

5- Cinnamon keeps restarting and when I change background it freezes and reverts to default background

6- Cinnamon keeps restarting for no clear reason

7- Close window is clanky and you have to wait for a few seconds to close a single window

8- Cinnamon panel window list minimize/ maximize occasionally not working: I click to minimize but nothing happens

9- dependency errors on first install

So bottom line this release is the worst Linux Mint release. I have been using Linux Mint for at least 3 years and I have never came across such mess :cry: I'm sorry Linux Mint team but I think you have to pay attention to such things in the next release. For now I have uninstalled the Cinnamon from all my machines and replaced it with Ubuntu 14.04 and Linux Mint 17 Mate. This is very ugly: I love Cinnamon most but I'm really disappointed.

Feedback is welcome!
Zorba
Level 8
Level 8

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I don't Like Linux Mint 17: Removing it !!!

Postby eanfrid on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:13 am

1- Ubuntu 14.04 supports secure boot; Linux Mint 17 does not
Canonical paid Microsoft to be compatible with "secureboot". Linux Mint did not.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Postby killer de bug on Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:55 am

Strange... 2 months ago you said it was a dream OS... viewtopic.php?f=60&t=161743 :roll:

You know what, when I read this post, I definitely think that your problem is your ($#%~@) theme... :lol:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby vrkalak on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:14 am

** LOCKED Topic **

I have to 'remove' 2 posts for this Topic.

If people want to argue and have at each other wasting valuable time, that's their prerogative.

We WILL NOT as Moderators/Admins get involved in, flame-wars, personal disputes between forum members except as they might disturb the flow of the site (e.g. public discussion).
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Chat about Linux Mint