Just upgraded from Mint Cinnamon 16 to 17, some thoughts...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Just upgraded from Mint Cinnamon 16 to 17, some thoughts...

Postby DAP on Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:36 pm

I folowed the DVD ROM method.

1) I backed up the stuff installed using the backup tool. This worked, however it seemed to want to restore stuff that I had never used and appeard to have been removed from Mint 17. It did not restore or even allow to be restored any of the applets I had installed on 16.
The way I would prefer this to work is record only the applications I installed using the software manager, and only remember the top level, not the dependancies which may change with a version change. It should also remember the applets I installed.
It was nice that it installed MythTV from the PPA that I had previously installed. I'm not sure how you would handle that kind of install since it is outside of the perview of the software manager.

2) I attempted to backup my files using the backup tool. This did not work. The backup hung sayng "calculating" or something to that effect, using no CPU or disk activity. I aborted that and copied my files using the file browser. In the end I did not need the backup. My system has a separate boot spindle, so my old home directory was not overwritten. I re-named my old home directory, copied the new home to the home spindle, made a soft link to it from the boot disk, and then copied the files I wanted to keep from the old home directory into the new home directory.

3) I have focus set to "click", and "Automatically raise focused windows" unchecked, but when I click on a window, it jumps to the front. This is not the behavior I want. I would much preferr to manually set the window stackup independant of the focus, the way that it was done on the Amiga.
DAP
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Chat about Linux Mint