Two (3 really) quick questions about LM17

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Espair

Two (3 really) quick questions about LM17

Post by Espair »

Hello. I'm not sure if anyone will have noticed, but the first question is:
Does LM17 include some wallpapers from previous versions?
Question 2!
I want to install LM17 on a small external thing, would it be faster to install to a USB2.0 stick, or an SD card? Are they the same speeds, and would this be too slow to be usable?

Thanks! Looking forward to playing around with this soon, as soon as I figure out where to install. Im going to be using it on my laptop and don't want to mess with the boot record on the HDD or this windows install. USB/SD is pretty isolated from the rest of the system this way right?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Two (3 really) quick questions about LM17

Post by xenopeek »

Wallpapers: you can install those at least from the past 9 releases. Open Software Manager and search for: mint-backgrounds

As for whether USB or SD would be faster, IDK. Depends on how fast they are--there are fast SD and slow USB and vice versa. Differs from brand to another and from one model to another. You could do a read benchmark on both (using Disks application).

As for the install, make sure during installation you correctly set where to install the boot loader (GRUB). In paranoid mode you could disconnect the internal hard disk to be sure you don't mess anything up accidentally.
Espair

Re: Two (3 really) quick questions about LM17

Post by Espair »

Thanks for such a quick reply! I understand now. I think I should be ok finding where to install grub. I've messed something up on my desktop with grub and the booting is functional.. but messy. if everything is on the usb, should be easy to wipe and restart if things go wrong.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”