Chat about Mint 17 Mate vs. Cinnamon

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Chat about Mint 17 Mate vs. Cinnamon

Post by Spearmint2 »

I use MATE myself. No diss to Cinnamon, but I always favour a more utilitarian look myself.

Oh, that's interesting, the dictionary on this must be British spelling.

It wanted favour instead of favor.

yep, it prefers colour instead of color.

aluminium instead of aluminum.

Thought I downloaded this one from US site. Hmm, probably the FF28 has a British dictionary in it instead.

Just checked pluma text editor with variants and it's spell checker is US, so it's FF doing it.

Time for a different dictionary for FF.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
WinterTroubles

Re: Update Manager will not update Mint 17 Cinnamon

Post by WinterTroubles »

Spearmint2 wrote:.....

Oh, that's interesting, the dictionary on this must be British spelling.

It wanted favour instead of favor.

yep, it prefers colour instead of color.

aluminium instead of aluminum.

Thought I downloaded this one from US site. Hmm, probably the FF28 has a British dictionary in it instead.

Just checked pluma text editor with variants and it's spell checker is US, so it's FF doing it.

Time for a different dictionary for FF.

Talking to yourself.. in public.. in a textual format.. is definitely not a good sign :mrgreen:
EmpireITtech

Re: Chat about Mint 17 Mate vs. Cinnamon

Post by EmpireITtech »

Exactly what I was thinking Winter lol, Spearmint's stream of consciousness :lol:

To your discussion, I prefer the look and features of Cinnamon, but if I have a netbook or low-spec hardware I love using MATE. I know Xfce is good too, but MATE seems to be more actively developed, whereas Xfce hasn't changed much in 5 years...
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it. I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen. Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
All things go better with Mint. Mint julep, mint jelly, mint gum, candy mints, pillow mints, peppermint, chocolate mints, spearmint,....
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Wow, bringing it back with that reference lol :lol:
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Spearmint2 wrote:This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it. I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do. I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen. Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.
Is that you HAL?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

altair4 wrote:Is that you HAL?
Sure is :mrgreen:
Spearmint2
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Spearmint2 »

Last edited by karlchen on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split from this thread about update problems, http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 32#p875407, because preferring Mate or Cinnamon is unrelated to the problem
I didn't start the thread, and I didn't start the comparison. Seems the thread was butchered a bit and mine got left hanging in space, like HAL might do. ;)

I went back and looked. Here's the context.
ChoppedThread.png
Minterator

Post by Minterator »

I use Mate. Cinnamon is OK but it breaks some of the basic rules of a good User Interface. e.g. All its themes have bright white background only. It hurts my eyes, I can only look at it for 2 mins max.
SMarais
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SMarais »

@Minterator you are misguided by the name theme. You have to make a difference between the cinnamon theme that only concerns the cinnamon and the window border which is the gtk theme and you can find in the "other" tab
I have LM Running on all these computers
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Minterator wrote:I use Mate. Cinnamon is OK but it breaks some of the basic rules of a good User Interface. e.g. All its themes have bright white background only. It hurts my eyes, I can only look at it for 2 mins max.
I use LM17 Cinnamon on my laptop and I use a black-glass theme...I agree that the bright all-white themes are hard to look at, but you can install and use other ones that suit your color pallet :mrgreen:

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”