Replacing XP on a Media Box

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint

Replacing XP on a Media Box

Postby zeiram on Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:28 pm

I have an old AMD XP 1800 OC'ed to 1.8 Ghz that I still use for playing all of my media in my living room. I have gone through about 20 ditros of linux (through VMWare) and found that Ubuntu, Linux Mint (which I always call Lint Minux, I can't read :) ), and Fedora are my favs. I like Ubuntu because I can install it via tftpd32 on another XP based computer, Mint because it's like Ubuntu but cleaner and comes with more of what I want out of the box, and Fedora because it has some interesting ways of navigating the desktops.

I am still pretty new to Linux. Rather, I have been playing around with it since my mom got me a version of Red Hat in 1998 or 2000, but I never got very far with it. Ok so here is my question: would Mint be a good option for me to use a a media solution? I need to be able to remote to it, and have S-Video output support for my Radeon 9600 XT. I have a similar card in my laptop and I couldn't get the S-Video out to work. Thanks in advance.
zeiram
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi,

I'm not an expert when it comes to svideo-out and remotes but I noticed you liked the gnome navigation in Fedora... if you're talking about "spatial", you can activate it in Mint by using mintDesktop (from the control center) and changing the navigation to "spatial mode".

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby zeiram on Wed Mar 21, 2007 7:17 pm

Wow, cool, an answer right from the source. Would I be correct to assume (though that makes an ass out of u and me, sorry just had to get that in) that if I can get it to work in Ubuntu, that it would work in Mint?
zeiram
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:02 pm

unless it conflict with 915resolution (I don't see why it would but you never know) then yes.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby zeiram on Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:06 pm

I don't believe I need to use 915, but I have yet to install it on my media computer. Now if I can do a Tftpd32 install, I will be grand.
zeiram
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Chat about Linux Mint