Computer repair shop won't fix mine because I use Linux

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
crossroads

Re: Computer repair shop won't fix mine because I use Linux

Post by crossroads »

by DrHu on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:09 am
I am kinda surprised you wanted to go to shop for that issue, since you knew it was the keyboard
--but then, I don't know what you meant by "broke the connection" for the keyboard

I had thought you meant damaged the USB jack or plug end..
'

You're correct. And I'm fairly confident now that I might have been able to source the part, including the ribbon cable, and made a decent attempt at repairing it myself, despite a warning from the guy at the repair shop that doing so would be a terrible idea ... followed by ... "you might instead want to consider one of our refurbished laptops" ... all with Windows 7, naturally. As I stated earlier, these repair shops deserve to earn both a living and a profit. Finding those that are equally competent with Linux OS's is the challenge. At least in my neck of the woods (Idaho). I suspect there is an embedded Linux community at ISU within the IT, GIS groups , and student body. Maybe, just maybe ... a small start up (moonlight) enterprise dealing with Linux OS hardware/software repair might be, if not feasible, at least educational, and fun.

B.T.W., I believe you have directed me towards solutions on other postings. Thanks and best regards.
svedel77

Post by svedel77 »

Just like our ISP a couple of years back. Would not give me support, because I'm on a Mac. Bastards!
igor83

Post by igor83 »

svedel77 wrote:Just like our ISP a couple of years back. Would not give me support, because I'm on a Mac. Bastards!
My Mom owns and loves her 2008 Mac, but in her small town none of the repair shops know how to fix Mac. The most they will do is try connecting the printer and fixing printer-related issues. The ISP however did help her out. I think that is because she pays $100+ per month for Internet, and it was not working right. Basically most times, ISP support will simply have you unplug the router for a minute, then plug it back in. Nothing to do with what kind of computer you run.

I never have gone to a computer repair shop, so I don't care what their policy may be. When something goes bad, I just buy the replacement part and install myself. If Linux gives me too much static, I wipe out the OS and install a different distro until I find one that works well. I always seem to come back to Linux Mint somehow. :lol:

Probably the repair guy would have a very hard time with networking in Linux, connecting printers and so on. It took me a long time to figure out how to connect Linux Mint on the network with my Windows computers, and I still run into difficulty doing it, even after all these years using Linux. Keep running into issues where the file manager cannot access a shared directory on the Windows box, or Windows cannot access a shared directory on the Linux box, or both. You have to modify /etc/samba/smb.conf, and it is neither simple nor self-explanatory.

I like Linux because it is free, and I can get a lot of old or low-budget computers running nice and smooth without too much difficulty. I can access the programs I like, such as Firefox, LibreOffice, Okular, and SMPlayer (with MPV of course). So there is not much reason to pay $100 for the privilege of using Windows, which comes with all kinds of security hazards, restrictions, and nowadays on top of it all, spying from Microsoft. Linux really rewards knowledge, and the more you know, the better and nicer your system can become. So much customization is possible that is not possible with Windows.
poorguy

Post by poorguy »

i do PC repair at my house since i retired and i will only do certain kinds of repair on laptops as they are time consuming when you have to open them up to do anything extensive. desktops i can always pull from one desktop to repair another desktop and so on laptops are generally proprietary as far as parts replacement is concerned. hard drives no / dvd roms no / wireless cards yeah some of them use the same and so on. i will say this is sometimes certain things can only be repaired and then one must face the reality and realize that it is better to buy a newer piece of equipment then to keep pouring money into an endless hole.

just my opinion and my own experience based on the fact i was in the electronic consumer repair industry for over 40 years.

the poorguy
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

igor83 wrote:
svedel77 wrote:Just like our ISP a couple of years back. Would not give me support, because I'm on a Mac. Bastards!
My Mom owns and loves her 2008 Mac, but in her small town none of the repair shops know how to fix Mac.
Do these people not know how to look stuff up on youtube? I've fixed plenty of macbooks with no formal training, it's all about watching the youtube video. :lol:
frodopogo

Post by frodopogo »

With business people, you have to consider the market they are serving, and why it even exists.

These kind of computer repair people cater to those who are having problems with Windows.
If you are not having problems with Windows, it limits the amount of money they can make off of you.
Also.....a computer from 2001... even in the Linux world, that's a bit extreme. A five year old Windows computer is challenged- you basically have two choices- take it to one of these repair shops, or install Linux... or give it away to someone who will do one of the above. You are really asking them to stretch out of their comfort zone. And repair people have a comfort zone, certain areas they feel competent in, and certain ones they don't.

On two counts, the operating system and the age of the laptop, they really would feel less than confident.
I just don't think they are being sincere about the reasons.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”