Which laptop for Linux Mint NOV 2014

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mitmitmit

Post by mitmitmit »

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new laptop. It has to be small (14' max) and if possible with a touchscreen and pen (are those already compatible with mint ?) I'm always on the go so battery life is also really important. I was thinking on buying a Thinkpad Yoga but I'm not sure if everything will work fine with Mint on it ? Should I buy another more standard think pad instead ?
Have you any other suggestions ?

Thank you for your help and time!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Which laptop for Linux Mint NOV 2014

Post by xenopeek »

You can check the hardware compatibility database for some ideas: http://community.linuxmint.com/hardware/welcome
mitmitmit

Post by mitmitmit »

Thank you for the link. I already had checked that page but I was not sure if it's about all the specs on a computer. For example if you search for Yoga the Think pad is not there :S

I was wondering if you guys had any ideas of what would be a good machine that I should buy given my requirements and that would fit linux mint perfectly.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Depending on your region, you could also visit one of the shops from this list to buy a laptop with Linux installed: http://linuxpreloaded.com/
mitmitmit

Post by mitmitmit »

Ok I might have asked the wrong question...

Which computer would you guys buy at the moment to put linux mint on it ? And why ?
CajunLanMan

Post by CajunLanMan »

System 76 has great laptops on the smaller end. Certified Linux compatibility too.
shengchieh

Post by shengchieh »

Personally, I get a linux-preinstalled laptop.
Even if it is the wrong distro, all the drivers are floating on the internet and chances are high that many distros have them.
You avoid alot of headache compared with getting a window box.
For windows boxes, I recommend getting a machine that has been around for over 1/2 year.
My experience is it takes about 3 months for linux drivers to float on the internet and about 3 months move for linux distros to have them.

See looonnnggg list of linux vendors at my website (signature) -> retailers -> linux preinstalled computers.

Sheng-Chieh
mitmitmit

Post by mitmitmit »

Thank you all for you advices. I will see what I can find.

By the way, does some one have a Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga with linux mint on it ?

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”