Word of appreciation

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mintjay

Word of appreciation

Post by mintjay »

Good day everyone!
I'm a recent covert to Linux Mint. I'm glad I tried Mint. I installed dual boot in two of my computers ( mint mate 13 on one a old dell, 2006 vintage with 2GB ram and 80 GB HDD with 1.6Ghz processor,and mint 17 cinnamon on 8GB, I5, T430S thinkpad.) I was skeptical first, but, surprise surprise!! I'm not sure if I'm lucky or not,on both computers, EVERYTHING worked from day one, including mice, touch pad, screen brightness switches, keyboard back light, sleep, wireless, sound, graphics. My old dell was as fast as my win7 thinkpad. In both machines, I installed bunch of software using software manager (exaile, wine, furiusmount, grsync, ufw/gufw, xbacklight etc). surprised to see that I can access my windows drives and read the files from those drives!!

Computer boots and sleeps in a snap (6 seconds to start using, with HDD and no SSD). No resource issues on my T430s. Swap space is not used at all!! Wife was impressed and now wants mint in her laptop as well :-). I'm sure I can convert few of my friends as well in future. I'm right now creating a live usb for my friend.

I really want to take time and thank all the minds who created such a flawless piece of OS I've ever used. It reminds me of the day when i received my T430s. I as spending a day in installing all the windows updates few at-a-time, since installing all of them in one go failed. Then ativirus, firewall and other programs from dubious sources (no checksum etc :-)).

I've Been away from windows for 10 days. couple of days back, I had to log in to windows once and found that antivirus would slow things down and the constant pestering of Zonealarm....Then two windows update and reboot...lost 30 minutes in the process without doing anything..

Again, hats off to everyone who was behind this fantastic OS.Thank you for showing what a good OS is like. Can't believe this is done as an open source project.

Now, if I could make RDP work, I'm done with Windows.

With admiration and appreciation,
Jay
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Word of appreciation

Post by jimallyn »

I think Linux "just works" for the vast majority of people. What you find here on the forums, of course, is mostly those who are having problems with it. I first started using Linux in 2002, and while I have had a few problems over the years, mostly things just worked. And support for Linux is usually awesome: there are some brilliant people using Linux, and they are generally willing to help others solve any problem they might have.

There are several remote desktop applications for Linux. I searched in Synaptic for 'remote desktop' and found Remmina, Vinagre, KRDC, Gnome-rdp, XRDP, and there are probably others. One of them is probably just right for you.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
NeoGeo64

Re: Word of appreciation

Post by NeoGeo64 »

I also began using Linux in 2002 and it was a way different experience back then. Even the most trivial of things would not work out of the box most of the time and required a lot of config file editing and compiling. Dependencies (something that so very painful to deal with) is all but a thing of the past.

It's almost 2015 and Linux is now a thing of beauty. If Mint 17.1 had been released around the time of Windows XP Microsoft would have been in BIG trouble. Apple too.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”