Mint Debian v. mint 17.1

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
chazdg24

Mint Debian v. mint 17.1

Post by chazdg24 »

Is there a benefit to using the Debian version of Mint Cinnamon? The release notes indicate the Debian version is a bit faster. I dual boot W 8.1 and Mint 17.1.

I am curious to try LMDE out. I assume a triple boot is not a problem. Any thoughts are appreciated especially if a triple boot is a problem on a UEFI system.

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
killer de bug

Re: Mint Debian v. mint 17.1

Post by killer de bug »

You avoid the Ubuntu layer. You don't have to reinstall. It's faster.
On the other hand, it may be a little bit more tricky to set up. You don't have ppa.

I have made my choice since a long time and trust me I will not go back to the main edition of Linux Mint or to Ubuntu :)
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

killer de bug wrote:You avoid the Ubuntu layer. You don't have to reinstall. It's faster.
On the other hand, it may be a little bit more tricky to set up. You don't have ppa.

I have made my choice since a long time and trust me I will not go back to the main edition of Linux Mint or to Ubuntu :)
It really isn't considered a rolling distro, correct? I'm just wondering what makes it so much easier to upgrade to the next version.

I understand the PPA bit and that it is faster. I tried MakuluLinux Cinnamon version. It was faster for sure. However, problems were plentiful with a non-existent community. Mint has a huge community to get help so I may just give this version of Cinnamon a try.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

chazdg24 wrote: It really isn't considered a rolling distro, correct?

Not really. The base remains the same (Jessie). Nevertheless, Mint packages (Cinnamon, Nemo...) will be pushed continuously.
chazdg24 wrote:I'm just wondering what makes it so much easier to upgrade to the next version.
The upgrade path between major release of Debian is tested, retested, tested again... It's a key feature of Debian. On servers, you cannot accept breakages.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

killer de bug wrote:
chazdg24 wrote: It really isn't considered a rolling distro, correct?

Not really. The base remains the same (Jessie). Nevertheless, Mint packages (Cinnamon, Nemo...) will be pushed continuously.
chazdg24 wrote:I'm just wondering what makes it so much easier to upgrade to the next version.
The upgrade path between major release of Debian is tested, retested, tested again... It's a key feature of Debian. On servers, you cannot accept breakages.
I guess two thoughts, Mint packages are pushed continuously now that Mint is based on the LTS model. It seems stable enough.

So if not running a server, why go with Debian? I always end up in the same place when it comes to a Debian based distro.

Thanks.
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

chazdg24 wrote: I guess two thoughts, Mint packages are pushed continuously now that Mint is based on the LTS model.
For the main edition, this is not really true. You have to upgrade to the next Mint version. Otherwise you don't see that a new version of Cinnamon is available.
chazdg24 wrote:So if not running a server, why go with Debian? I always end up in the same place when it comes to a Debian based distro.
For stability, security, for the speed... For the package base. For apt...

It's a question of personal choice.
xfrank
Level 5
Level 5

Post by xfrank »

killer de bug wrote:
chazdg24 wrote: I guess two thoughts, Mint packages are pushed continuously now that Mint is based on the LTS model.
For the main edition, this is not really true. You have to upgrade to the next Mint version. Otherwise you don't see that a new version of Cinnamon is available.
chazdg24 wrote:So if not running a server, why go with Debian? I always end up in the same place when it comes to a Debian based distro.
For stability, security, for the speed... For the package base. For apt...

It's a question of personal choice.
I second that, killer, and I'm a long time LMDE user (since 2012), but sometimes I feel uncomfortable because the lack of ppas (they are so convenient...) :)
I know, there is a way to install some ppas but not always works, in my experience: http://www.binarytides.com/add-ubuntu-p ... -7-wheezy/
Active Distros in my computers: LM21.1 (Mate,Xfce); MXLinux (Xfce)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

xfrank wrote: but sometimes I feel uncomfortable because the lack of ppas (they are so convenient...) :)
I mainly don't trust them. Anyone can create a ppa and this is dangerous. :)
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

Interesting thoughts that I did not consider. I think I will give it a shot. Thank.
idtent

Post by idtent »

chazdg24 wrote:Interesting thoughts that I did not consider. I think I will give it a shot. Thank.
Just wondering if you have made the leap, and how you are getting along with it.

I take it from what I've read here that you are more familiar with "under-the-hood" Linux than some users might be. In my opinion, this has much, if not everything to do with one's experience with Linux, and particularly with a product like LMDE.

I've been using Linux since I abandoned Windows 3.1 back before the turn of the century (the Y2K trauma). The learning curve was initially almost too steep for me. But faced with an incomprehensible Microsoft os which perpetually left me "computer-less", it seemed to me that I had no choice. While the learning curve is still steep for me, I have been well pleased with my Linux experience, and am particularly fond of Linuxmint and the Linuxmint Debian products. My experience is that for one reason or another I will install or re-install any operating system before its "end-of-life" cycle. So the whole "install once" thing is essentially a moot issue for me. From this standpoint, all operating systems are the same. All things considered, LMDE is for a user of my limited experience, the most easily maintained of all of those with which I am familiar.

My primary machine is a multi-boot (LMDE 2 Betsy, LM 17.1 XFCE, Windows 7, and, at any given time, up to 6 or 7 other flavors of Linux), of which LMDE is my preferred os.

One final thought/question: I am an avid user of VirtualBox. I typically test a distro in which I am interested out in VirtualBox (running under LM 17.1 and/or LMDE) before installing. It gives me some idea of what I can expect if I choose to install it. Have you considered or tried this with LMDE?

Best wishes.
chazdg24

Post by chazdg24 »

idtent wrote:
chazdg24 wrote:Interesting thoughts that I did not consider. I think I will give it a shot. Thank.
Just wondering if you have made the leap, and how you are getting along with it.

I take it from what I've read here that you are more familiar with "under-the-hood" Linux than some users might be. In my opinion, this has much, if not everything to do with one's experience with Linux, and particularly with a product like LMDE.

I've been using Linux since I abandoned Windows 3.1 back before the turn of the century (the Y2K trauma). The learning curve was initially almost too steep for me. But faced with an incomprehensible Microsoft os which perpetually left me "computer-less", it seemed to me that I had no choice. While the learning curve is still steep for me, I have been well pleased with my Linux experience, and am particularly fond of Linuxmint and the Linuxmint Debian products. My experience is that for one reason or another I will install or re-install any operating system before its "end-of-life" cycle. So the whole "install once" thing is essentially a moot issue for me. From this standpoint, all operating systems are the same. All things considered, LMDE is for a user of my limited experience, the most easily maintained of all of those with which I am familiar.

My primary machine is a multi-boot (LMDE 2 Betsy, LM 17.1 XFCE, Windows 7, and, at any given time, up to 6 or 7 other flavors of Linux), of which LMDE is my preferred os.

One final thought/question: I am an avid user of VirtualBox. I typically test a distro in which I am interested out in VirtualBox (running under LM 17.1 and/or LMDE) before installing. It gives me some idea of what I can expect if I choose to install it. Have you considered or tried this with LMDE?

Best wishes.
I tried the triple boot on a new computer. I allowed mint 17.1 Grub to control things. Everything worked fine except for one nagging issue. I always set my monitor to power off at the 5 minute mark. Unfortunately with my Dell, the power setting were ignored with LMDE 2. I switched to LMDE 2 Grub to control the boot process. Mint 17.1 power options were ignored and the monitor would not power down. I decided to stick with Mint 17.1.

I don't know if this is a UEFI issue or a Grub issue. This has happened with Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Antergos, Kaos, ChakraOS and Korora. For whatever reason on my system, the OS with Grub running the show allows power setting to work, but not on the other(s). I like to have three distros running besides Windows 8.1 and Mint, so I'm not too happy I can't do it with that power setting, which I consider essential.

I have searched high and low for an answer to the issue, but have come up empty. If anyone one has an idea I would appreciate it!

As for LMDE 2, it seemed a bit faster than 17.1. It had the usual Mint touches making font rendering and the like pleasing to the eye. Finding programs like Boot Repair was a problem as well as a few others. I really like to have certain programs installed. I suspect I could sort it out if i stuck with it.

As for Virtualbox, I am not a fan so I never do it.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”