Compiz

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xuburant

Compiz

Post by xuburant »

I'm not sure where to post this but... I'd rather not have compiz installed by default. I know Ubuntu does and personally, I don't get anything out of it except a slower computer.

Thanks!
Mint Rocks!!

Brittany
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Compiz

Post by viking777 »

Hear Hear!!

There is someone else out there as sane/mad (delete as appropriate) as I am.

First thing I do on any new system is to install Krusader, the second thing I do is to stop Compiz from running. ( I assume you know how to stop it in Mint - if you don't it is under Control center/Appearance/Visual Effects).

Your question involves not having it installed at all. I don't think you will find many distros that don't install it at all unless you go for the 'lightweight' varieties which may not be what you want.

The other way of course is just to uninstall it. If you open up Synaptic, search for 'compiz-core' and remove that it will offer to remove most of the other bits of compiz with it. I think that can be done without any ill effects, but on my system it left 7 compiz related packages. I haven't gone any further than this since removing any of those threatens to remove other bits which may (or may not - I am not sure) have a detrimental effect on the rest of the system.
FedoraRefugee

Re: Compiz

Post by FedoraRefugee »

I love Compiz-Fusion! It rocks! Not only is it the best 3D environment but it also has many useful features. I would be lost without the switchers myself. It is a fun toy. If a computer can handle it then why not?

Okay, that said, I agree! Please do not install Compiz by default! Many people do not have 3D graphics even in this day and many more simply do not want it. My pet peeve are distros that install extrememly old versions of Compiz-Fusion. Even Fedora, which is supposed to be "cutting edge" runs less than 7.8. This is worthless to me! I do not understand why all these distros choose to run expermental crap like package kit as default, which totally borks the system, yet they shy away from Compiz-Fusion 7.9 which is rock stable and has been for months? This means I have to totally remove all vestiges of the old version before I install the new. I would rather they just not bothered. In fact, I wish the trend was towards lighter ISOs instead of the other way around. I understand that the non-Linux user sees what is on the ISO and "rates" the distro accordingly. "Oooh, this one has ___________ and that one doesn't!" But for real, why try and create a "one size fits all" system when the beauty of Linux is package management? Personally, this is one of the reasons why I left Fedora. I got so tired of trying to strip packages that would also pull every dep in the system and fry the install. Mint Xfce is a perfect balance, in fact it wouldn't hurt my feelings if they lost OO.o and Firefox though I would install these myself. I hope the Fluxbox CE does pay attention to what the users are saying in that thread, it appears the creator of that version is listening and that is the best thing about Mint.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”