[Solved] Popularity of Mint compared to Open Suse

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DeMus

[Solved] Popularity of Mint compared to Open Suse

Post by DeMus »

snapshot3.png
Hi guys and girls,

I am always busy installing different OS'es in virtual machines and try to download the ISO files using torrents as much as possible.
Recently I left the torrent program open to see how much data is uploaded from my machine. In the attached picture you see 4 Mint versions and 1 OpenSuse.
Well, the results are clear. We (using Mint) still have a long way to go. OpenSuse is constantly download with speeds of several MB's/s where Mint reaches upto a couple of KB's/s.
How is this possible? I thought Mint is one of the most used distro's out there. If so then why isn't it downloaded more? Don't we use torrents like the Suse people, or isn't it downloaded as much?
OpenSuse has been uploaded by me 120 times already in 1 day and 13 hours. Yes, I did start Mint much later, that's true, but still look at the differences.

Maybe we have to promote the use of torrents more and tell people to keep the torrent program open as long as possible.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Popularity of Mint compared to Open Suse

Post by Pjotr »

I never use torrents for downloading iso's of distro's. I prefer the straight download, at least where iso's are concerned. :mrgreen:

I suppose I'm not the only one....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Your not alone. I hardly use torrents unless that is my only option.
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

DeMus wrote:Maybe we have to promote the use of torrents more and tell people to keep the torrent program open as long as possible.

Code: Select all

torrents != "popularity"
AFAICT, LinuxMint is doing just fine.
dXTC
Level 4
Level 4

Post by dXTC »

I must agree with Habitual's assessment immediately above, even though I almost always get my distros through torrents, which for me are almost invariably faster than a direct server download. For example, my "biggest mover" according to my Transmission client is Mint 17.1 XFCE, with an upload ratio of over 15**, considerably bigger than any others I've had going. Why? Mainly because I DL'd it on launch day, in the presence of a metric [bleep]load of peers. Torrent health is inherently unpredictable, especially after the first week of release, and IMHO shouldn't be used as a sole indicator of a given distro's popularity.

** yeah, I know-- 15 is nothing compared to your 120. Then again, I'm in the USA, where most residential Internet upload speeds are a small fraction of download speeds.
dXTC
-----
IT oldie, Linux newbie, and all-around goofy fellow.
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

I must add that I tend to spare the main download servers, because they're usually getting hammered anyway, shortly after a release..... Instead I use good fast mirror servers of universities in my own country.

Many universities in my country (The Netherlands) support the main Linux distro's by offering free mirrors for the iso's and sometimes even for the updates. Those mirrors are of excellent quality and very fast. Tax payers' money well spent. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

@dXTC, @Pjotr:
As you can tell by the names of the iso files I did not download/upload them on the release day, in fact there is quite some time between release day and this week.
I normally also download from local servers like universities or usergroups. This time I just wanted to do a test and I must say the results are, to say the least, overwhelming. This can have of course many causes:
  • Mint users download directly from servers and not by using torrents. Well, as we have seen in the answers I got so far this is true. No idea if it is different with OpenSuse users.
  • At the moment of doing this test Mint users were still happy with their system and didn't need to download another.
  • I just have to say it, OpenSuse is in fact more popular. I mean a small difference I can understand, but this is huge. At the moment of writing this the upload for Suse is 9.81MB/s and all others are stuck at zero. The amount for Suse is normal, it's like this all the time. Mind you: MB is mega BYTE (not bit)
From all Mint versions I hate to see my beloved KDE is still at almost 0, followed by Mate with 0.13 and Cinnamon which has now reached 7.32. Just realized I did not include XFCE in this test. Can do that as well, just to see how she is holding on.
News flash: as soon as I started downloading XFCE it also started uploading with speeds of up to 100kB/s. Looks promising. This was also dXTC's experience.

Well, I just keep the torrents open for a few days more to see if things will change.

@dXTC: here in The Netherlands there are more and more cities which have fiberglass installed. I also have this at home with a download and upload speed of 100Mb/s. OpenSuse uses almost the full bandwidth.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

@dXTC, @Pjotr:
As you can tell by the names of the iso files I did not download/upload them on the release day, in fact there is quite some time between release day and this week.
I normally also download from local servers like universities or usergroups. This time I just wanted to do a test and I must say the results are, to say the least, overwhelming. This can have of course many causes:
  • Mint users download directly from servers and not by using torrents. Well, as we have seen in the answers I got so far this is true. No idea if it is different with OpenSuse users.
  • At the moment of doing this test Mint users were still happy with their system and didn't need to download another.
  • I just have to say it, OpenSuse is in fact more popular. I mean a small difference I can understand, but this is huge. At the moment of writing this the upload for Suse is 9.81MB/s and all others are stuck at zero. The amount for Suse is normal, it's like this all the time. Mind you: MB is mega BYTE (not bit)
From all Mint versions I hate to see my beloved KDE is still at almost 0, followed by Mate with 0.13 and Cinnamon which has now reached 7.32. Just realized I did not include XFCE in this test. Can do that as well, just to see how she is holding on.
News flash: as soon as I started downloading XFCE it also started uploading with speeds of up to 100kB/s. Looks promising. This was also dXTC's experience.

Well, I just keep the torrents open for a few days more to see if things will change.

@dXTC: here in The Netherlands there are more and more cities which have fiberglass installed. I also have this at home with a download and upload speed of 100Mb/s. OpenSuse uses almost the full bandwidth.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

From your screenshot:
- 3385 seeders for Linux Mint ISOs you have on your system, and 224 leechers
- 1081 seeders for openSUSE ISO you have on your system, and 85 leechers

How is openSUSE more popular according to those statistics?

In any case, like already said, torrents ≠ popularity. Especially not looking at only your own system; perhaps you're relatively closer to leechers of openSUSE.

Use whatever works best for you. If you go by number of torrents you should probably go with an illegal copy of Windows or if sticking to Linux, with Ubuntu.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Yes, I know you are right. I was only looking for an explanation to why the amount of data uploaded for OpenSuse was so much more than all others.
At the moment I almost uploaded 1TB for OpenSuse and "only" 47GB for Mint Cinnamon. All others are just a couple of MB's.
I'll stop now or my internet provider will go crazy for sending all this data.
I'll mark the thread as solved and that's it.

Thanks for reading and writing guys.
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

Oops, a big Oops indeed.
Studying a bit further why OpenSuse has such a huge upload from the torrent file while others have not I found that the big downloaders are in Germany and ..... happen to be a bot. :shock:
I saw a list of IP addresses all within the same range: 95.141.28.211 - 216
Typing these addresses in the webbrowser gave me a site where I saw this:

Code: Select all

Welcome to nginx!

If you see this page, the nginx web server is successfully installed and working. Further configuration is required.

For online documentation and support please refer to nginx.org.
Commercial support is available at nginx.com.

Thank you for using nginx.
This happens for all addresses.

So, now I banned these addresses and immediately the results for OpenSuse are almost 0kB/s
Another mystery solved.

Yeah, Mint is still popular. :D
mr_raider
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [Solved] Popularity of Mint compared to Open Suse

Post by mr_raider »

If you have more seeders, you will upload less since downloaders will pick up little pieces every where. You're data show the exact opposite. Mint is more popular than Suse.
warp

Post by warp »

SuSe?
I must be a complete idiot, 'cause I have never ever managed to get SuSe running c.q. properly installed.
Believe me, using Linux with dozens of distro's for more than 10 years now and with numerous configurations/systems, I've never pulled it off.
Or..., it must be something in the air.

BTW. screenshots show a very very slick distro (alhough I'm all but KDE minded)
DeMus

Post by DeMus »

warp wrote:SuSe?
I must be a complete idiot, 'cause I have never ever managed to get SuSe running c.q. properly installed.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. This means I am not the only idiot. I have tried OpenSuse a few times now and every time I run in to some things which either are not there in the first place, or I don't get them to work, while in Mint they are part of the original install (out of the DVD)
Don't understand it cause OpenSuse must be a great system, it is popular, it has a great system for setting up things: installing software, updates, configuration, it's all done in one place, it has a great installer with which you can setup RAID very easily (something I miss here in Mint) but still I can't get everything to work like I want it to. So I gave up again and use Mint till the next time I have too much spare time.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”