No update in 6-8 weeks? (solved)

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

No update in 6-8 weeks? (solved)

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Hi, I havent recieved any updates for quite a long time. It may be 2 months or so. Do you have the same experience? I have set safe and visible for levels 1-3.
Or maybe there are no updates because the team is working hard on Rafaela?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: No update in 6-8 weeks?

Post by exploder »

I know there have been some level 3 updates recently.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Do you get any errors when you run the following terminal command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
MagicMint

Post by MagicMint »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:Hi, I havent recieved any updates for quite a long time. It may be 2 months or so. Do you have the same experience? I have set safe and visible for levels 1-3. …
This happened to me more than once. There seem to be some issues with the Update Manager, see https://github.com/linuxmint/mintupdate/issues/98 :cry:
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Try > Open Mint Update (Update Manager) and click the "Refresh" button at the top... report back results...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

I clicked refresh and mintupdate appeared. When I installed it, many other packages were shown and I installed them. This is strage. I hope this new version will check for updates automatically.
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:I clicked refresh and mintupdate appeared. When I installed it, many other packages were shown and I installed them. This is strage.
I'm glad everything worked out for you.
cinnamoncoffee wrote:I hope this new version will check for updates automatically.
If it doesn't, you know what to do... :mrgreen:

Just for fun, open the update manager and on the menu bar, click "Edit"... then select "Preferences" and then click the "Auto-Refresh" tab to see what is there. You might want to adjust the settings...
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Reorx wrote: Just for fun, open the update manager and on the menu bar, click "Edit"... then select "Preferences" and then click the "Auto-Refresh" tab to see what is there. You might want to adjust the settings...
I guess the value set is too high. The OP should lower it to 1hour or something like this. Except if checking the update automatically is not needed. A hand refresh can always be performed.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

killer de bug wrote:
Reorx wrote: Just for fun, open the update manager and on the menu bar, click "Edit"... then select "Preferences" and then click the "Auto-Refresh" tab to see what is there. You might want to adjust the settings...
I guess the value set is too high. The OP should lower it to 1hour or something like this. Except if checking the update automatically is not needed. A hand refresh can always be performed.
My 2 production machines (laptops) are running LM17C64. My auto refresh time is set at 30 minutes. I have never changed it so I assume this is the default. Having said that, whenever I update, I almost always do a "hand refresh" first... :mrgreen:

Image Image Image
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Reorx wrote: My auto refresh time is set at 30 minutes. I have never changed it so I assume this is the default.
Yes, 30 min is the default. Here I assumed the OP has changed it and set it to something like 5/6 hours. If he/she closes his/her computer before this time is reached, no updates are proposed. My personal laptop is not running for 5 hours a day :mrgreen:
Reorx wrote:Having said that, whenever I update, I almost always do a "hand refresh" first... :mrgreen:
Me too. Just to be on the safe side :)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Re: No update in 6-8 weeks? (solved)

Post by Pjotr »

A workaround could be, to add a line to rc.local in order to make sure that refreshing always takes place, even when the interval is set to long periods:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... ew-updates
(item 2, left column)

That's how I have done it myself, anyway....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Oh, now i see what the problem was :)
I set autorefresh to 3 days. I didnt know that means that the computer has to be on the whole time. :mrgreen:
Its back to 30mins now :)
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:Oh, now i see what the problem was :)
I set autorefresh to 3 days. I didnt know that means that the computer has to be on the whole time. :mrgreen:
Cool! I knew I was right :mrgreen:
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

killer de bug wrote:
cinnamoncoffee wrote:Oh, now i see what the problem was :)
Cool! I knew I was right :mrgreen:
I suspected as much... :mrgreen:

Image Image Image

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”