What Linux Mint CAN'T do...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

What Linux Mint CAN'T do...

Post by Fred Barclay »

I've seen so many posts and articles: "Mint can't do xyz. Windows always did. You guys had better fix this if you ever want a real operating system instead of a toy! This is why Linux has never replaced Windows!" (usually followed by at least 7 exclamation marks) that I thought it'd be nice to have a common thread, only with a bit of a twist. So... (drum roll, please)
This thread is for listing anything that you're glad Mint can't do. Now I know this is unusual; normally we (I do, anyway) would talk about all the things we can do with Linux that we couldn't with Windows. But if you think hard enough, I'm sure that there are some things that you don't miss from your Windows days, or some process that you no longer have to worry about.

My list is:
1. Mint can't force me to install updates when IT"S ready. I get to choose when I want them. No more "Configuring updates...35%...Please do not turn off your computer."
2. Mint can't get viruses. Yes, there are other types of malware it's not immune to, but the common, 97% or more of all infections, good, old-fashioned .exe or .dll virus rolls off Mint like water off a duck's back.
3. Mint can't phone home to ask for permission to run. This and the first line on my list are probably my favourites.

That's all for now. I'm sure I'll be back with more. :)
What's yours?
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Alley Cat

Re: What Linux Mint CAN'T do...

Post by Alley Cat »

Just to be fair, Windows 7 can be set to notify you when new updates are available, leaving you free to choose when to actually download and install them. I don't know about the newer versions as I avoided 8 and 8.1 like the plague! ;)
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Thanks, Alley Cat. I wasn't aware of that. :)
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
z31fanatic
Level 5
Level 5

Post by z31fanatic »

YAY!!!
Another thread of how TEH EVIL MSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IS KEEP US DOWNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT BE FREEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Alley Cat wrote:Just to be fair, Windows 7 can be set to notify you when new updates are available, leaving you free to choose when to actually download and install them. I don't know about the newer versions as I avoided 8 and 8.1 like the plague! ;)
Or you can turn them off. ;) But the fact is: Windows Update adds bloat to your OS. Freshly installed Windows is fast no doubt but after a few updates (or without them after a few months) your OS is starting to crawl. If you manage to keep it clean (like I did a while back) you can run pretty fast Windows for 1-3 years but then a virus can made it crap... :lol:
Habitual

Post by Habitual »

RacerBG wrote:Or you can turn them off
Yes, you can, but this forces the admin/user to run them manually.
r00t

Post by r00t »

z31fanatic wrote:YAY!!!
Another thread of how TEH EVIL MSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS IS KEEP US DOWNZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT BE FREEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I shouldn't encourage the use of all those exclamation marks, but honestly to me this seems more of a "what flaws windows has and mint doesn't" thread than a "what linux mint can't do" thread
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

I agree with root.
There are many other topics about how MS is a complete disaster while Linux is the best. I see no point in another thread about this.
Dont get me wrong, I agree with your points and that's why I'm using Linux. It just seems that the same arguments are circulated over are over again when there is actually no one to persuade, as almost all people here are linux fans already.
IMHO it would be more constructive to discuss what Mint CAN'T do and what are the actual issues that can be improved instead of just bashing MS. That might lead to new ideas and maybe could help us improve the system. :wink:
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:I agree with root.
There are many other topics about how MS is a complete disaster while Linux is the best. I see no point in another thread about this.
Dont get me wrong, I agree with your points and that's why I'm using Linux. It just seems that the same arguments are circulated over are over again when there is actually no one to persuade, as almost all people here are linux fans already.
IMHO it would be more constructive to discuss what Mint CAN'T do and what are the actual issues that can be improved instead of just bashing MS. That might lead to new ideas and maybe could help us improve the system. :wink:
If we have a Linux Mint repo with up to date software which is by default included in the system I will be in paradise! I know that we can't copy the whole Ubuntu repos but I think we would be able to have a repo with updated default software (like in the case of Mint Tools, Cinnamon and Mate). The BIG minus (sometimes plus) of the LTS are the static versions of the programs in it's repositories.
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

Okay, guys, one more vote to close the thread and then I'll ask for it to be locked. :)
I didn't exactly intend to start a MS /bin/bash-ing thread (although, to be honest, I'm not sure what else this could turn into :oops: ), so, to be American-ish, one more strike and this thread is out.
- Albert Einstein
Jedinovice
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Jedinovice »

RacerBG wrote:
Alley Cat wrote:Just to be fair, Windows 7 can be set to notify you when new updates are available, leaving you free to choose when to actually download and install them. I don't know about the newer versions as I avoided 8 and 8.1 like the plague! ;)
Or you can turn them off. ;) But the fact is: Windows Update adds bloat to your OS. Freshly installed Windows is fast no doubt but after a few updates (or without them after a few months) your OS is starting to crawl. If you manage to keep it clean (like I did a while back) you can run pretty fast Windows for 1-3 years but then a virus can made it crap... :lol:
Just to say, the slowing down of Windows is due in large part to the compress/uncompress nature of the registry. It bloats like crazy, slows down the machine and then gets corrupted leading to continual crashes. As far as I can make out there is no way to fix a bloated registry.

I think it was partly designed this way. I believe Windows 8 fixed this to a large degree but messed up the UI.
Mint Linux 18.0 64 bit KDE edition.
Video editing (AMV's mainly) on a dual core n2840 atom!
Results here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5Dw91 ... yVKS7X1Rlg
LOOK HERE FOR MY DEMO OF MINT LINUX KDE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8hDYiGprWs
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

And I'm counting mr_raider's post as the 3rd strike. Lock requested. :)
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”