My first year here...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Jim Hauser

My first year here...

Post by Jim Hauser »

June 30 will mark one complete year for me with Linux Mint (KDE 64 bit.) :) So far the system has been extremely effective. There is nothing that I have tried that didn't work! My hat is off to all of the fine folks who put these distros together and to those who help in the forums. It has been a pure pleasure.

I have often wondered if I could help out too. Unfortunately, at 58, my eyesight is no longer 20/20 and my brain is not as sharp as it once was.

So along with donating spare change I have set up a small torrent seed farm on a spare partition. It contains 20 ISO images (all Mint distros) and is started every night before I go to bed. As an added benefit I can burn DVDs for any of my friends needing a distro. It doesn't seem like much but it is the least I could do. I also post screenshots of this system on Facebook to help spread the word.

I am aware that some folks are having issues with Mint on their systems but people having good luck seldom post about problems. I am one of those lucky guys!

Thanks for everything folks.... and cheers!

Jim
snapshot27.png
PS. I am still using XP on Virtual Box on occasion but those sessions are becoming shorter and less frequent...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mrdachshund86

Re: My first year here...

Post by mrdachshund86 »

June 30 will mark one complete year for me with Linux Mint (KDE 64 bit.) :) So far the system has been extremely effective. There is nothing that I have tried that didn't work! My hat is off to all of the fine folks who put these distros together and to those who help in the forums. It has been a pure pleasure.
I'm glad you're enjoying Mint. :D Come to think of it, I'm almost at my first anniversary with Mint (I didn't actually join the forums until recently). I can also say that I haven't had any issues either (except for the self-inflicted ones, that is). :lol:
It doesn't seem like much but it is the least I could do.
You're helping out Linux Mint more than you realize. An open-source project of any kind can't live on just code, so promoting Mint and seeding torrents are great ways to contribute!

To another year of Minty happiness!

mrdachshund86
Crewp

Post by Crewp »

Congratulations, and keep up the good work. :)
fraxinus_63

Post by fraxinus_63 »

Happy anniversary, Jim - and the work you are doing on behalf of Mint, even if it seems modest to you, will be well worthwhile.

I have been using Mint steadily for nearly five years now - the distros I worked with for 5-6 years before then were excellent in their own way, but now I have found this one I cannot really imagine going anywhere else.

The community here is superb. While I have had very few "issues" there is not one that has not eventually been resolved via these forums. A few weeks ago I thought I had hit a brick wall with a problem for the first time (problems getting the correct driver for the wireless card on an old netbook) - but one of the Mint wireless gurus rescued me when I was about to give up, and helped me resolve it to my complete satisfaction.
RacerBG

Post by RacerBG »

Good to see that, Jim. :)

I'm already a little more than 2 years here and I must say that this is the best place on the web for Linux talk and chatting in general. Before my Linux adventure I could never imagine that someday I will be able to chat with the creators of a whole OS ! Here I'm able and if you give reasonable suggestions...they can be implemented. ;) Try to do the same with Bill Gates. :lol:
linux-dummie
Level 3
Level 3

Post by linux-dummie »

Hey, Jim, thanks for posting. Congrats on your anniversary. I like the setup you've made. Love the fact that we can seed torrents legally!
It's been 5 years for me that I first started using Linux and Mint, and I don't regret it even a little bit.
Keep on Minting!
parsma

Post by parsma »

Darn good idea! I'll look into farming those ISO's myself. :)

I guess it'll take a wee while to download them all. :)
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Congratulations Jim! :D
killer de bug

Post by killer de bug »

Jim Hauser wrote:June 30 will mark one complete year for me with Linux Mint (KDE 64 bit.) :) So far the system has been extremely effective. There is nothing that I have tried that didn't work!
That's really good to hear!
Chiefahol

Post by Chiefahol »

I'm about half your age and I've been playing with it a few months, it's great! I'm running it on many machines now. 8)
lexon

Post by lexon »

Very good. Linux is very secure.
I have been using Linux since December 2003. I am 74 and not very techie-ish.

Just does not connect with iPad or iPhone. Stepson takes care of those with his MS PC so not an issue.

L

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”