Update Manager repeated annoyance

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Update Manager repeated annoyance

Post by HappyLinux »

This isn't any flaw or something that requires me to post into the support sections, but rather something to discuss.

Mint Update Manager has this background feature that I like, but the programmers keep alternating between turning on and off each time they release a new version of Mint.

Picture this. Whenever you open the Update Manager window to scroll through whatever updates are available at the time. You select what updates you want, hide what you don't etc. You click install and it goes through the process of downloading and installing. Once that is done, it checks for more updates at the same time as the window does one of two things, depending on which version of Mint you're running. It either stays open, or it closes automatically.

To me, both are equally as annoying.

Firstly, if the Window stays open and there are no more updates, you're forced to close the window.

Secondly, if the window closes automatically, but it's detected there is more updates as shown by a notice on the Update icon next to the clock (I'm running Cinnamon, so it's next to the clock in the bottom right of my screen) then you have to reopen the window.

One version of Mint leaves the window open. The next release will automatically close it. Then the the next release they switch back to leaving it open, then back to closing it.

This gets annoying.

Why don't the programmers create several options for people in the Mint Update settings, that allow them to pick whether to leave the window open, or close it automatically?

For me, I think there should be a middle ground. A third option if you will.

When it has downloaded and installed updates, it should leave the window open whilst it checks for more updates. If it finds more updates, it leaves the window open. If it doesn't find any, then it automatically closes.

What do you think?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
BigEasy
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Update Manager repeated annoyance

Post by BigEasy »

I prefer any programm open, according to my wish, then close, according to my wish too. Hate when programs looks too clever to decide for me.
Windows assumes I'm stupid but Linux demands proof of it
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Some of the options in Update Manager (Edit -> Preferences) may be what you're looking for.
KDE Update Manager Preferences.png
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

The options gtsfer showed are there for all versions of LM 17.x, so they behave all equal (with equal settings).

Checking for further update after executing an update does appear only in the case, that the update manager (or a part of it) itself gets updated. In this case even with the setting to close the window after the updates has been applied it does not do that by design in this situation, if there are other updates available, so you should not get the need to reopen it again.

I never encountered the situation (with the current version of the update manager), that the window closes after applying and showing immediately the blue shield in the tray.

The new version of the update manager with the new options page in the settings has been released to my remembrance about the time of the release of LM 17.2 Cinnamon & Mate, that is about 2 months back.

If this should work different for you it would be indeed a support issue, where we need more system details.
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Cosmo. wrote:Checking for further update after executing an update does appear only in the case, that the update manager (or a part of it) itself gets updated. In this case even with the setting to close the window after the updates has been applied it does not do that by design in this situation, if there are other updates available, so you should not get the need to reopen it again.

I never encountered the situation (with the current version of the update manager), that the window closes after applying and showing immediately the blue shield in the tray.
Cosmo's first point it right on target. And I don't think I have ever seen this situation either. Maybe in an older version. Way older, possibly 14/15.
HappyLinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by HappyLinux »

To begin with, I say my thanks for pointing out the setting to close the window after updates are applied. I never noticed that setting. But then again, I wasn't expecting it. I gave up looking for it several Mint releases ago.

As for the window closing automatically after updating, if my memory services, it happened on Mint 14 and 16. For some reason, it was always the even numbered releases.

It is true that if there is an update to MintUpdate Manager, it shows only the update to that, and then shows you updates to other programs etc. However, in other times where it installs one or more updates (not including Update Manager) and then shows one or more updates again is probably down to timing. As it's downloading/installing the first batch, one or more updates to other programs have been released. So when the first batch is done, and Update Manager checks for more updates, that is what I'm referring to.

This is why I would like a choice of options as I listed before.
lexon

Post by lexon »

No idea what all the fuss is about. When I see, Your system is up to date, I click on the X.

L
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

If I understand the OP correctly, the same thing occurs on LMDE 2. I've only seen it happen when there is an update to the Update Manager itself, upon which UM will close once it finishes updating itself, and then almost immediately reopen with a list of more updates.
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”