In order to use all 4gb of RAM...

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Trump

In order to use all 4gb of RAM...

Post by Trump »

The more I look into this the muddier the waters get. I have a 64 bit processor and 4 GB or RAM. I have 32 bit Windows XP, and through that am only able to access 3 of my 4 GB. Is the 32 bit version of Linux Mint going to impose the same limitation? Will I need to wait on the 64 bit version to use all 4 GB of RAM?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: In order to use all 4gb of RAM...

Post by Husse »

There is a theoretical limit of 4 GB that can be addressed (2^32 gives 4 GB) and about 700 to 1 000 MB is needed for the operating system, regardless of which it is
There is the 64 bit version or you can install the server kernel that can use up to 16 GB (if my memory serves me right) due to some "tricks"
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bigbearomaha »

To the best of my knowledge, the server kernel enables PAE, which gives access up to 64 gb of ram using a 32 bit kernel.

the hitch is, if you have 4 gb or less, you will see a performance hit. if you have more than 4gb of ram using the server kernel, performance will improve the more ram you add. for 1 to 4 gb you should use the kernel already provided and for under 1 gb there is a low ram kernel which should see a performance increase for those low ram systems.

Big Bear
Bee the best you can bee.
Trump

Post by Trump »

Thanks for your help guys. I love a helpful community.
hopetoregistersoon

Post by hopetoregistersoon »

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”